Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 06:40 AM

699 posts, read 2,237,051 times

Advertisements

What metro area that does not have a current top professional sports team (Not Arena Football or Indoor Soccer, I'm not sure if even Hockey counts) should get one?

If you don't count Hockey, then San Jose will be the largest metro without one.

Las Vegas would be next.

Others would include Hampton Roads (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Newport News) in Virginia, Columbus in Ohio, Nashville in Tennessee, Providence in Rhode Island, Austin in Texas, Richmond in Virginia, Louisville in Kentucky, Oklahoma City in Oklahoma and others I can't think of right now.

Do you think any of those areas could support a top 3 professional sports team (MLB, NBA, NFL)? Or should we just move around the teams in cities that currently have one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 06:44 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
it's mind-boggling that LA doesn't have a pro football team, i think they should be next.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
it's mind-boggling that LA doesn't have a pro football team, i think they should be next.
But, everyone knows it's just a matter of time that LA will get a NFL team.

It's the 2nd largest market in the country. The Raiders and Rams left because of stadium issues, but the officials in LA and officials in the NFL both want a team there within the next few years.

But, the NFL being the NFL, there are dozens of places that would want a NFL team that currently don't have one.

They just need to show that they can support a team and either get the NFL execs to grant them an expansion team or hope that a relocating team moves.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:51 AM

607 posts, read 2,981,410 times
I think Las Vegas or Indianapolis.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:01 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
What metro area that does not have a current top professional sports team (Not Arena Football or Indoor Soccer, I'm not sure if even Hockey counts) should get one?

If you don't count Hockey, then San Jose will be the largest metro without one.

Las Vegas would be next.

Others would include Hampton Roads (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Newport News) in Virginia, Columbus in Ohio, Nashville in Tennessee, Providence in Rhode Island, Austin in Texas, Richmond in Virginia, Louisville in Kentucky, Oklahoma City in Oklahoma and others I can't think of right now.

Do you think any of those areas could support a top 3 professional sports team (MLB, NBA, NFL)? Or should we just move around the teams in cities that currently have one?
Don't the Golden State Warriors play in San Jose now?

Don't the Tennessee Titans play in Nashville?

Columbus and Austin are CLEARLY college sport towns.

Oklahoma City had the Hornets for awhile (i think it was the hornets) and i would expect them to be there for the next expansion or team move.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Don't the Golden State Warriors play in San Jose now?

Don't the Tennessee Titans play in Nashville?

Columbus and Austin are CLEARLY college sport towns.

Oklahoma City had the Hornets for awhile (i think it was the hornets) and i would expect them to be there for the next expansion or team move.
You are right about the Golden State Warriors who play out of Oakland. For some reason, they always seem to slip my mind out of basketball teams. I guess they would encompass the Greater San Francisco Bay area.

I also forgot about the Tennesee Titans. For some reason I always think they play in Memphis and not Nashville.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
They had the New Orleans / Oklahoma City Hornets for one year because of the Hurricane Katrina disaster.

I hear that the city supported them greatly, and showed that they could be a great pro sports town.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:36 AM

478 posts, read 2,304,047 times
Quote:
They had the New Orleans / Oklahoma City Hornets for one year because of the Hurricane Katrina disaster.

I hear that the city supported them greatly, and showed that they could be a great pro sports town.
OK City will be the next home of the Seattle Sonics.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:53 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
But, everyone knows it's just a matter of time that LA will get a NFL team.

It's the 2nd largest market in the country. The Raiders and Rams left because of stadium issues, but the officials in LA and officials in the NFL both want a team there within the next few years.

But, the NFL being the NFL, there are dozens of places that would want a NFL team that currently don't have one.

They just need to show that they can support a team and either get the NFL execs to grant them an expansion team or hope that a relocating team moves.
are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? i can't tell. did I not answer the question correctly, hence your disseration?

Old 07-25-2007, 08:23 AM

Oh, I'm just as shocked as you are!

But, I guess I never considered LA in the regards that I always assumed they would get an NFL team soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports