Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 03:37 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times

Advertisements

I hear people say that and I read it all over the internet.

Blacks DO NOT dominate pro sports. NBA and NFL, yes but there are other sports(MOST) in which blacks are no where near dominating.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:44 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,398 times
That's complete BS, Blacks do dominate sports. As a whole, Blacks don't play the other sports but when they do, they usually end up the best. Best Boxer? Best Baseball player?

1-Speed kills, an individual with this skill will dominate. Blacks are known for their speed. I played basketball for many years. I honestly played very well against my fellow Caucasians but I struggled with faster players, who the mass majority of the time were black. For reasons unknown, blacks are simply faster. They have a higher potential to be a pro athlete, regardless of the chosen sport.
2-Motivation: More truth, don't shoot the messenger. Poverty motivates, living in the hood with no viable direction motivates some to pursue sports. Blacks view sports as their only way out of the hood. Bill Cosby is rightfully trying to change that viewpoint.
I have many more points but I will stop here because I am not posting groundbreaking information. We know this already.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:06 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,602 times
Does anybody remember what Jimmy the Greek said that got him in trouble? Is there any truth to what he said?

A look back at Jimmy the Greek's racist comment, 21 years later | NowPublic News Coverage

Al Campanis and Howard Cosell also got into trouble back then.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:54 PM

711 posts, read 1,143,535 times
I wouldn't say we dominate every sport, maybe the popular ones like basketball and running, but definitely not all. Football is like 60% Black and 40% White, I don't consider that completely dominating.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:12 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
That's complete BS, Blacks do dominate sports. As a whole, Blacks don't play the other sports but when they do, they usually end up the best. Best Boxer? Best Baseball player?

1-Speed kills, an individual with this skill will dominate. Blacks are known for their speed. I played basketball for many years. I honestly played very well against my fellow Caucasians but I struggled with faster players, who the mass majority of the time were black. For reasons unknown, blacks are simply faster. They have a higher potential to be a pro athlete, regardless of the chosen sport.
2-Motivation: More truth, don't shoot the messenger. Poverty motivates, living in the hood with no viable direction motivates some to pursue sports. Blacks view sports as their only way out of the hood. Bill Cosby is rightfully trying to change that viewpoint.
I have many more points but I will stop here because I am not posting groundbreaking information. We know this already.
I agree and there are lots of other professions where blacks excel and are in the majority. We read about them all the time and see them on the TV news and sometimes even in the sports report.

No point in naming them we know what they are.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:28 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I hear people say that and I read it all over the internet.

Blacks DO NOT dominate pro sports. NBA and NFL, yes but there are other sports(MOST) in which blacks are no where near dominating.
Interesting, there is that idea.
In Australian rules, the don't dominate... but they do have a higher tendency to have freaky, silky skills ... so they do grab a bit more attention

Old 02-22-2011, 06:43 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,426 times
So how many pages until this thread gets closed? 3? 5? Any bets?

Anyway, I think the perception is due to the fact that in Nations with notable black minority populations, blacks are highly overrepresented in comparison to their presence in the general population.

(American) Football is the most popular sport in the US, and the NFL percentage of black players is over five times that of the US population.

Similarly, England is about 2% black, but they sent a squad that was 1/3 black to the last World Cup.

Basically, it's not that all the top athletes are black, but given that blacks are such a minority in the US and Europe, it makes their presence more noticeable.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:43 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post

You sure about that?
Hockey regarded as one of the hardest if not the hardest sport to play is dominated by Caucasians. With the exception of Jerome Iginla, most blacks in Hockey are medicore or average players.

Soccer: The entire game is played on foot. It is a game of stamina and speed. Blacks don't dominate soccer, not even close.

Baseball: Blacks don't dominate this game either and only outnumber asians in ethnic representation. Hispanics and Caucasians dominate baseball.

It is true that blacks view sports as their only way out of poverty. Therefore there is more dedication, they put in the work, etc to use sports to get out. Whites usually don't have to rely on such and look more into education. There is also alot of pressure from middle class parents on education over sports. To be reach the professional level of a sport, you have to dedicate all your time to training and playing. This is a problem for anyone who is looking to get a legitimate education.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:20 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
I fail to see the relevance of this topic, or at least the way its being presented here. I don't see why it matters if people of one color dominate any given sport...

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports