Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 02:05 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,504 times

Advertisements

It appears that most people who post here don't speak very highly of Spokane. CDF is definitely not the poster child of the local Chamber of Commerce.

We are considering a move to Spokane for a great job opportunity and so far I've learned that it's dirty, depressing, crime ridden, cold, poorly educated, meth/crack addicted and completely isolated from the world. But I would really love to hear from someone who enjoys living in Spokane. I'm wondering if a move Spokane might possibly improve our quality of life?

We currently live in the extreme upper Midwest and experience very long, cold winters with plenty of snow. (In fact it's snowing right now). I do a lot of cooking and rarely go out because restaurant choices consist of a few fast food places or roughly three big chain eateries like Applebee's. Our schools aren't the best, but there are worse. People complain about the crime, but it's nothing compared to when we lived in the Houston area. It takes about an hour and a half to get to a big city, but we have most everything we need, so it's not a big deal. I can actually say that I like it here. But I feel like I could be happy living anywhere and for me, happiness is not place, it's a frame of mind. However, it would help to hear from someone who has good things to say about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 11:21 AM

23 posts, read 57,118 times
We lived in Spokane Valley for 8 years. Retired in November '14 and moved to Arizona. I enjoyed our time in Spokane.
1. Cost of living is inexpensive. Real estate is very reasonable. No income tax in WA.
2. Lot of golf courses that don't cost more than $30-40
3. Lot of lakes for fishing, water skiing, etc.
4. A number of ski slopes within 1-2 hours. Mt. Spokane has one of the best x-country trails.
5. Winters are usually mild but can last from November to April.
6. More sun and less rain than Seattle.
7. People are very friendly.
8. Like most places you don't want to be walking around certain areas - e.g., north Spokane
9. Close to Yellowstone, Glacier, Black Hills, Bad Lands, etc.
10. Lot of outdoor activities - hiking, sports, etc.

Like most places people tend to emphasize the bad stuff. I've lived in Los Angeles, Seattle, Honolulu, Spokane and now Gold Canyon, AZ.

Overall Spokane is a very good place to live.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:23 AM

Forgot to mention:
11. Not much traffic to speak of.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:09 PM

Restaurants:
I thought there was not a lot of good restaurants in spokane but compared to your list of fast food places Spokane has a lot more to offer. Ones I liked: Azteca at the Spokane Valley Mall; D'lish burger and fries; Ding How sushi in Liberty Lake; Flying Goat pizza; Mongolian Grill in Spokane Valley; Hay J's Bistro in Liberty Lake; Milford's Fish House; Clinkerdagger; Mustard Seed; Dick's Burgers.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:16 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,639,405 times
I lived in Spokane over 15 years ago, so I don't know how relevant my experiences are. I really liked the town. It has rummy parts, but it has nice neighborhoods too. The area around Manitou Park is the most desirable. I lived near Lincoln Park -- not as nice, but still nice.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:33 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
I like SOME things about The spokeADELPIA:

Nice weather, decent cost of living, pretty scenery, a river running through downtown, easy to drive.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:28 PM

156 posts, read 303,321 times
Which state are you in?

I think you would be very happy there. I live in Seattle but grew up in WI and Spokane reminds me of the Midwest in some ways.

You'll have some decent shopping, more restaurants, tons of outdoor activities and some gorgeous scenery.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:35 PM

552 posts, read 1,055,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenns55 View Post
Restaurants:
I thought there was not a lot of good restaurants in spokane but compared to your list of fast food places Spokane has a lot more to offer. Ones I liked: Azteca at the Spokane Valley Mall; D'lish burger and fries; Ding How sushi in Liberty Lake; Flying Goat pizza; Mongolian Grill in Spokane Valley; Hay J's Bistro in Liberty Lake; Milford's Fish House; Clinkerdagger; Mustard Seed; Dick's Burgers.
One of the very best airport restaurants I've experienced was the Skyway Cafe at Felts Field Airport (general aviation) in Spokane. Note, this is not the Spokane International Airport. I liked the big wide streets of Spokane and the fact it had a water runway to boot.

Rust

Old 04-07-2015, 10:58 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
I loved Spokane.

See my posts from 2009-2011. I left prematurely, and Spokane was like a lost love or a drug to me.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:02 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I loved Spokane.

See my posts from 2009-2011. I left prematurely, and Spokane was like a lost love or a drug to me.
Can't let that one slide.

Scene: crowded meeting room filled with ex-residents of eastern Washington. Thick cigarette smoke fills the air. A few half-filled cups of lukewarm coffee are sipped. The session is called to order. A volunteer is sought to begin the meeting.

A chair scrapes. A throat is cleared. "Hello. My name is David, and I'm a Spokaholic."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area