Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 12:16 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,994,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Can't let that one slide.

Scene: crowded meeting room filled with ex-residents of eastern Washington. Thick cigarette smoke fills the air. A few half-filled cups of lukewarm coffee are sipped. The session is called to order. A volunteer is sought to begin the meeting.

A chair scrapes. A throat is cleared. "Hello. My name is David, and I'm a Spokaholic."
Sadly, I don't think that meeting would be too well-attended.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:12 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,445,182 times
I don't like it, I love it. I have lived many places in the states and some time abroad and this is a very good place to live. Cost of living is good, cheap(er) real estate, incredible outdoor options, very good food and local brewery scene, varied weather, nice (if reserved) people, etc.

It's 100% what you make of it however. And in that regard many people who are lacking in self make whatever place they're in...lacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 05:57 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,372,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Sadly, I don't think that meeting would be too well-attended.
Unlike Pig Out in the Park, which is indisputably Spokane's defining social event of the year.

If it sounds good to you, you'll probably love Spokane. If it sounds tacky and unhealthy and heavy on the dreaded mayonnaise people, better stick to western Washington.

Spokane Pig Out in the Park 2014 - a food and music festival celebrating 35 years

Old 04-10-2015, 06:18 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,994,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Unlike Pig Out in the Park, which is indisputably Spokane's defining social event of the year.

If it sounds good to you, you'll probably love Spokane. If it sounds tacky and unhealthy and heavy on the dreaded mayonnaise people, better stick to western Washington.

Spokane Pig Out in the Park 2014 - a food and music festival celebrating 35 years
If that doesn't conflict with Taste of Colorado, I'm there.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:38 PM

448 posts, read 815,614 times
Quote:
I do a lot of cooking and rarely go out because restaurant choices consist of a few fast food places or roughly three big chain eateries like Applebee's. Our schools aren't the best, but there are worse. People complain about the crime, but it's nothing compared to when we lived in the Houston area. It takes about an hour and a half to get to a big city, but we have most everything we need, so it's not a big deal. I can actually say that I like it here. But I feel like I could be happy living anywhere and for me, happiness is not place, it's a frame of mind. However, it would help to hear from someone who has good things to say about the area.
IMO, if you genuinely like living where you are, you will probably be even happier in the Spokane area, especially if you like to do things outdoors. Winters are milder than Upper Midwest, restaurants may not be the best in the country, but there's definitely a variety to choose from and more than 3 big chain eateries. Large local microbrew/gastropub type scene. There's a fair amount of property crime, but it's mostly localized to certain areas. You could live in many places in the Spokane area and not run into any issues. It's also nothing like Houston.

My dad grew up near Spokane and I've been back many times to visit family. I can't speak from living there, but several family members do and both they and I really like the area. Great scenery and lots of outdoor activities, most all the shopping, etc. you could need. If you need a larger city to visit both Seattle and Portland aren't far.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:38 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,562,270 times
Thanks for all of the good info.

We have decided to go in another direction and Spokane is no longer an option. New adventures await!

Old 04-16-2015, 06:59 AM

152 posts, read 367,153 times
lol, guys you scared another one away with all the feel good days of yore vibes. stick to the forever winter as it proves adversarial and they want to prove you wrong.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Dime View Post
lol, guys you scared another one away with all the feel good days of yore vibes. stick to the forever winter as it proves adversarial and they want to prove you wrong.
Hmm. I'm trying to decide if E.D. is being ironic or if I had one grinch but the eggplant over there (for all you Harvey Kurtzman fans).

Last edited by Yeledaf; 04-16-2015 at 07:15 PM..

Old 04-17-2015, 07:01 PM

152 posts, read 367,153 times
Yeledaf, I wanted to provide a thorough explanation but it conflicts with my desire to avoid the question.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Dime View Post
Yeledaf, I wanted to provide a thorough explanation but it conflicts with my desire to avoid the question.
You took the words right out of my brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area