Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 11:52 AM

948 posts, read 3,357,717 times

Advertisements

Does anyone in or from the area have a recommendation to make for an area that is commutable to Manhattan?

I've always heard great things for autistic kids in this state, but now I'm looking for the actual facts on why N.J. is a good state to put a kid in public school with asperger's. Appreciate all input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 01:58 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
I cannot comment on the individual school systems. But, NJ has (or recently had) the highest rate of autism per population in the country. My sister teaches spec. ed in Bergen Cty, and there are many children in her district receiving services. I would call individual schools in area which interest you and ask about the various programs.

I would feel very confident about moving to NJ with a child on the spectrum.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
Does anyone in or from the area have a recommendation to make for an area that is commutable to Manhattan?

I've always heard great things for autistic kids in this state, but now I'm looking for the actual facts on why N.J. is a good state to put a kid in public school with asperger's. Appreciate all input.
I am asking on a couple of other groups I belong to.

I will get back to this.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:33 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,307,390 times
Quote:

Overall, NJ has excellent special services, although there are some districts that are better than others. It also depends on how your son's Asperger's manifests itself and what kind of supports he needs. Are you looking for quality academics for him or are you more focused on the services?

Last edited by robee70; 10-23-2010 at 07:04 AM..

Old 10-23-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
Overall, NJ has excellent special services, although there are some distritcs that are better than others. It also depends on how your son's Asperger's manifests itself and what kind of supports he needs. Are you looking for quality academics for him or are you more focused on the services?
do you mean to infer that I couldn't have both? The services I would hope for first are teacher training. That they understand asperger's and not constantly misinterpreting behavior. THen, with that understanding they have supports in the classroom. Social skills supports and training throughout the day would be an expectation as well.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:21 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,307,390 times
Quote:
do you mean to infer that I couldn't have both? The services I would hope for first are teacher training. That they understand asperger's and not constantly misinterpreting behavior. THen, with that understanding they have supports in the classroom. Social skills supports and training throughout the day would be an expectation as well.
I can only speak to the schools in my area (Essex County). For example, Millburn has an excellent top-ranked school system, yet from what I've heard their special services or supports are not as comprehensive or accommodating. Livingston is another excellent public school district and is more accommodating than Millburn, but relative to other districts with more comprehensive special services depts, may not be enough. I know many children with Aspergers that have come through the Livingston school system. West Orange has a very comprehensive special services dept and has strong specific academic programs, but on the whole the public schools are not as highly ranked or looked upon because they have a more diverse population.

So it really depends on how your child's Asperger's manifest itself. Does s/he need a full-time aide or not? Does s/he qualify for Honors classes, general ed or are you looking for a combination self-contained/general ed schedule? How old are they? Does s/he need a Behavioral Assessment or other services like Speech or OT.

BTW, you would have to put social skills as specific goals in the IEP and make the correlation with an educational need. Otherwise, I don't believe that any of the schools offer a specific social skills curriculum. There are private social skills groups in the area.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:26 PM

Well most of my friends apparently don't live where the commute to Manhattan would be reasonable.

They did give me this website. I hope you find it helpful

Autism New Jersey, Inc.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:33 PM

Ok. I got another recommendation for an area of NJ to look in. This lady has a child with asberger's and says the area of Short Hills/Millburn is expensive, but really great.

Dorothy

Old 10-24-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
I can only speak to the schools in my area (Essex County). For example, Millburn has an excellent top-ranked school system, yet from what I've heard their special services or supports are not as comprehensive or accommodating. Do you know anyone with a spec. needs child in this district? Livingston is another excellent public school district and is more accommodating than Millburn, but relative to other districts with more comprehensive special services depts, may not be enough. I know many children with Aspergers that have come through the Livingston school system. What's the downside to Livingston? West Orange has a very comprehensive special services dept and has strong specific academic programs, but on the whole the public schools are not as highly ranked or looked upon because they have a more diverse population. Any computer focused school in W. Orange?

So it really depends on how your child's Asperger's manifest itself. Does s/he need a full-time aide or not? No. Does s/he qualify for Honors classes, general ed or are you looking for a combination self-contained/general ed schedule? How old are they? 9 Years old. Does s/he need a Behavioral Assessment or other services like Speech or OT. Yes, speech and O/T.

BTW, you would have to put social skills as specific goals in the IEP and make the correlation with an educational need. Otherwise, I don't believe that any of the schools offer a specific social skills curriculum. There are private social skills groups in the area.
Yes, I know; some schools have peer models/ lunch bunch and social skills groups already in place which shows they value teaching kids the social aspects in school

Old 10-25-2010, 05:14 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Well most of my friends apparently don't live where the commute to Manhattan would be reasonable.

They did give me this website. I hope you find it helpful

Autism New Jersey, Inc.
Alot of information here to dig though. Appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children