Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 07:22 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,601,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
So you are saying objects will be stretched forever?
Yes, as long as time continues in a linear fashion....or our universe ends...or "rebangs" or Bounces. Of course there are theories that Black Holes connect to other Universes as "White Holes" thru an interconnected "wormhole".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 08:37 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,784,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
The process is called "spaghettification"....I'll stand by my opinion; there is no way to disprove it or prove it either .

HubbleSite: Black Holes: Gravity's Relentless Pull interactive: Encyclopedia

Spaghettification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but I can back up my theory with a few articles.
Love that interactive link.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:36 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,932,847 times
Hawking showed that black holes let go of particles one at a time due to quantum processes....my question is how the hell does matter from the singularity make it out of the hole?

I don't believe matter in a normal black hole escapes into a worm hole-this is only theoretically possible for a black hole with lots of spin. It's singularity would be a ring, and matter going through the ring supposedly could go into another universe.

Our minds can't possibly wrap around the implications of singularities (and I'm not even talking about naked singularities)

Old 12-05-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Yes, as long as time continues in a linear fashion....or our universe ends...or "rebangs" or Bounces. Of course there are theories that Black Holes connect to other Universes as "White Holes" thru an interconnected "wormhole".
What would make you think the universe will "rebounce" given the acceleration of the expansion of space/time?

Old 12-05-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Love that interactive link.
Thanx; it was really cool!

Old 12-05-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Hawking showed that black holes let go of particles one at a time due to quantum processes....my question is how the hell does matter from the singularity make it out of the hole?

I don't believe matter in a normal black hole escapes into a worm hole-this is only theoretically possible for a black hole with lots of spin. It's singularity would be a ring, and matter going through the ring supposedly could go into another universe.

Our minds can't possibly wrap around the implications of singularities (and I'm not even talking about naked singularities)
Hawking Radiation...I THINK??? Hawking radiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-05-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
What would make you think the universe will "rebounce" given the acceleration of the expansion of space/time?
I still think that we MAY be misinterpreting the data or have made an inaccurate assumption regarding both DARK Energy and/or Matter. I just read an article in Scientific American challenging the expansion accelerating...they are still up for debate,though data suggests further acceleration.

MY PET theory involves "THE BIG BOUNCE"; IMHO..the initial BANG was just one of infinite bounces; caused by "BRANES" touching and creating new Universies. Remember this current accelerating expansion came as a surprise....there may be a reason other than trying to fit a new theory to new data.

Alan Guth explained our early phase of expansion... 10 to the minus 36th power, seconds after the Big Bang....called cosmic inflation....perhaps this is another, temporary expansion(inflation) and it will slow down as originally theorized. That's my opinion.

Big Bang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Inflation (cosmology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brane_cosmology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-brane http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory Here are some people who agree with me... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_Universe_Theory .

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 12-05-2009 at 12:33 PM..

Old 12-05-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Haha thanks I couldn't think of the term last night as I was a bit tipsy

But considering no one has an idea what truly happens past the event horizon I don't think we understand the quantum effects behind Hawking radiation. Maybe a few scientists do but I doubt it. What I do know is that provided there's no big crunch it's a mathematical certainty that all black holes will evaporate away given enough time. Of course we're talking 10^100 years or something!

Old 12-05-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Haha thanks I couldn't think of the term last night as I was a bit tipsy

But considering no one has an idea what truly happens past the event horizon I don't think we understand the quantum effects behind Hawking radiation. Maybe a few scientists do but I doubt it. What I do know is that provided there's no big crunch it's a mathematical certainty that all black holes will evaporate away given enough time. Of course we're talking 10^100 years or something!
I do not understand the mathematics but I do kinda understand these theories...only to a point that is...LOL..Here are some interesting videos on the Cyclic Universe...seriously IMHO...we are on the generally correct path!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEIj9zcLzp0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCEZ8V50GdY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcsWJ...om=PL&index=46 .

Old 12-06-2009, 05:24 PM

Our universe (or brane) could very well collide with another as it expands in the future, and it is possible this could spawn a new universe. I think I read that same pop sci article a while back-was it the one claiming only the our region of the universe is accelerating?

I don't think accelerating expansion and brane bouncing are mutually exclusive. Earlier, when you said "bounce" I though you meant the old idea claiming that the universe will contract into a singularity and bounce back in a bang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space