Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:55 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,142,891 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 08:22 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,648,110 times
Matter can escape but it relies on taking place ouside of the event horizon.

1. If enough material is pulled into the accretion disk, certainly some will eventually fall into the black hole. But some matter (particles), as it gets in closer to the event horizon and heats up, can be ejected out by jets and radiation if there's too much material around the black hole.

* It's worth noting that black holes can be rotational (Kerr) or non-rotational (Schwarszchild). Rotational black holes will have a relatively flat accretion disk caused by matter and space-time being dragged around by it. A stationary black hole is a singularity with an event horizon that does not rotate.
HowStuffWorks "How Black Holes Work"

2. Near the event horizon, there's some thought that virtual particles and antiparticles can split resulting with one falling into the black hole, and the other escaping and becoming an actual particle. I'm not sure I've got that quite right, but I think that's sort of the basic gist of it.

It doesn't necessarily mean that particles are instantly wiped out of existence once inside the event horizon, but there would be no way for them to escape, and would continue breaking down while falling toward the singularity. It's at the singularity itself where everything ceases to have any meaning.

Hawking(ish) Radiation Observed

Has Stephen Hawking's Black Hole Radiation Been Verified? New Lab Research Says "Yes"

Penrose process - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-12-2011, 01:12 PM

OK, but why would it behave as a jet, perpendicular to the plane of the galaxy? I think it has something to do with the black hole spinning like a pan cake. And maybe if the black hole was not rotating nearly as much, then any jet would be much more diffuse.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
OK, but why would it behave as a jet, perpendicular to the plane of the galaxy? I think it has something to do with the black hole spinning like a pan cake. And maybe if the black hole was not rotating nearly as much, then any jet would be much more diffuse.
The lines of the jets are polar. And yes, I agree that a Kerr back hole would have a field (the ergosphere) that bulges out at the equator. The singuarity itself would likely have a spin, particularly if the black is the result of a collapsed star which also rotates. A Swartzschild black hole on the other hand is stationary and does not spin.

So why jets from a Kerr black hole? Excess matter has to go somewhere. The plane of the flat accretion disk probably isn't too likely since that's where stuff is being pulled into the black hole. Again, if there's too much material being pulled in, the excess in the form of plasma can pile up allowing some of it to blast out at the points of the poles. There are no similar points anywhere else on rotating sphere. That some jets can be enormously long gives an idea of just how much material is being caught by such a black hole. Some material, maybe a lot, can escape through the ergosphere and avoid being pullled into the black hole. But the stuff being blasted out at the poles is plasma and closer to the event horizon, but not directly next to the event horizon.

Anything next to the event horizon is going to get pulled in. You might sort of think of the surrounding plasma as layered. As the layer of plasma directly next to the event horizon is what actually gets pulled into the black hole, the plasma material farther out from the event horizon will swirl, looking for an exit. The only exits are at the poles. If enough plasma is bunched up at the polar points, it's going to build up in the form of what are called jets.

I wouldn't doubt that how fast the BH spins, and how much or how little the amount of matter around it would likely cause the jets to be longer or shorter, diffused or stronger.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:36 PM

I just stumbled across this. Looks like there is something happening in the Milky Way. I may have seen this before, but I don't recall specifically when.

So it seems gamma rays can be discharged from our own galaxy, and so I'd wager it happens in lots of places. The only thing is, it's not exactly a "jet," per se, but it is sending a lot of stuff out.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I just stumbled across this. Looks like there is something happening in the Milky Way. I may have seen this before, but I don't recall specifically when.

So it seems gamma rays can be discharged from our own galaxy, and so I'd wager it happens in lots of places. The only thing is, it's not exactly a "jet," per se, but it is sending a lot of stuff out.
I remember reading about the "bubbles" about a year ago. Hard to say what's going on. It'd be interesting if any similllar structures can be found in other galaxies. I don't think anyone knows of it's anything directly connected to the Milky Way's supermassive black hole as it seems to be rather quiet. Although there's quite a bit of activity of stars orbiting it. I wonder if such a stir could have something to do with the flurry of stellar motion. If so, similar bubbles might be spotted in similarly shaped galaxies.

What activates a supermassive black hole? Galaxy collisions not the culprits, even in the jam-packed early universe

Milky Way’s Black Hole Gave Off a Burst 300 Years Ago

Here's a video from Space Rip's Channel about our galaxy's black hole. It shows the discovery of stars orbiting the black hole and a bit of the history leading up to the observation. Note the animation of plasma gasses swirling around the "surface" and the polar jets produced by such monsters. Space Rip has a good number of quality science vids worth browsing through.

Supermassive Black Hole in the Milky Way Galaxy - YouTube

Old 10-12-2011, 08:26 PM

Thanks, that was very nice, as well as the Space Rip's Channel reference.

That Jansky guy was a cut above, in my estimation. Most people would've dismissed the noise he had heard.

Anyway, it looks like I've got some listening/watching to do...

Old 10-12-2011, 08:59 PM

Brian, you may be famiiar with some of these, but here's a short list of a few other astronomy & science related channels that are top notch in my opinion, and contain loads of excellent and up-to-date material. You might be interested in them for easy reference. There are lots more to be found.

SpaceChronologyCom's Channel - YouTube

tdarnell's Channel - YouTube

Best0fScience's Channel - YouTube

djxatlanta's Channel - YouTube

HubbleEyes's Channel - YouTube

Best0fScience's Channel - YouTube

I'll include Space Rip's link in case anyone else is interested:
SpaceRip's Channel - YouTube

Old 10-13-2011, 04:28 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Matter cannot, by definition, escape from a BH.

From what I understand the Accretion Disk was 'invented', mythamatically because of stars very near BH's which falsified the original theory.

Plasma Physics better explains the jets - but who the hell knows. As Fletch once said 'It's all ball bearings now.'

Old 10-13-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Matter cannot, by definition, escape from a BH.
That's true - once something has passed through what is termed "the event horizon" from which there is no return. Most material outside of the event horizon will certainly be pulled in. But some material and energy can still be ejected from the exterior of a Kerr-type BH. If nothing could escape, then there'd be no jets because it wouldn't be possible for the particles that make up those jets to escape.

Quote:
From what I understand the Accretion Disk was 'invented', mythamatically because of stars very near BH's which falsified the original theory.
What's the original theory that's been "mythamatically invented" (that's a great term ) by adding an accretion disk? How do stars near a BH falsify it?

Quote:
Plasma Physics better explains the jets - but who the hell knows. As Fletch once said 'It's all ball bearings now.'
I agree that "plasma physics" is certainly involved in relation to the jets, but I think there's a bit more involved with regards to black holes. I'm assuming you're suggesting that nothing more than plasma physics is necessary to create such jets. I'm always interested in this kind of stuff. Please explain how plasma physics better explains the jets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space