Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 08:14 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Why do people assume that other planets need the same type of atmosphere to have life? Can't it also be possible for other life forms to breath different types of gases?
Sure, you're quite right. It's very possible other life forms could adapt to other kinds of gasses. Our atmosphere could be toxic to some forms of life. But then who says other life forms need to breath? Maybe some just absorb what they need.

I think one reason it seems common to make a comparison with Earth's atmosphere is because life on Earth is certainly something we're more familiar with. However, we're better aware now that there could be other conditions and atmospheres that could allow for life to develop that would be impossible for us. Perhaps part of it is just wondering if there are any other planets in the galaxy that really are like the Earth. It'd be interesting to find one, and it would tell us that the atmospheric conditions on Earth isn't so unique.

By the way, when the term "earthlike planets" is used, it's usually to describe rocky planets that are in what we consider to be a "habitable zone". Not too far from a parent star, and not too close, which can allow for water (if there is any) to be in a liquid state on the surface.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 08:56 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I took a better look at the info on the planet. Temp is estimated at about 298 degrees Kelvin (77 degrees Fahrenheit). I'm not sure how the temp was determined. I was wrong about Thailand though. Thailand is hotter . If its orbit is a little farther out than Venus is from the Sun, seems like it'd be warmer than 77 degrees. A temp comparison is that it's similar to the South of France..
The reason it might not be as hot is because the Star it orbits is smaller than our Sun and is also much cooler.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:00 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
The reason it might not be as hot is because the Star it orbits is smaller than our Sun and is also much cooler.
You're right. Still, if the planet HD85512b is estimated at 77 about F, it's cooler than the annual mean average between high and low temps in Bangkok Thailand, which works out to about 82-86 F, depending on varying sources. I'd lean more toward the higher temp. It's hot and humid. From what I can dig up, just for the sake of comparison with HD85512b, the annual average temp of the Earth appears to be around 58 F.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:11 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,442 times
Very interesting find. Cudos to the folks at the European Southern Observatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space