Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:13 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,072 times

Advertisements

Brandon did have a Jubilee but is a Sunshine now. Jubilee was common about 10-15 years ago and ones I remember include: Lennox (for a few years, before changing to something else), Hartford, Canton, Rock Rapids (Iowa), Madison, Watertown, and one in Minnesota. For a long time, Lennox had a store that was affiliated with IGA before becoming a Jubillee, Fiesta Foods, and most recently Sunshine. Most of the Jubilees were converted to Sunshines, which Sunshine has 13-14 stores in SD, SW Minnesota, and NW Iowa.

I have a friend who worked at Mike's Jack & Jill in Webster when he was in high school and the store is a decent one for a town of 2,000.

For some reason, I am impressed with Kessler's in Aberdeen when I have visited Aberdeen for work once and visited friends and relatives in the area in the past.

Pierre's Wal-Mart is OK although Wal-Mart is not known for their meat and produce. Compared to the ones in Mitchell and Yankton, the one in Pierre is not as impressive and is more limited, probably due to a lower number of people around Pierre than in Mitchell and Yankton. Vermillion's is a little smaller that Pierre's but is clean and relaxing to shop in.

For the I-29 corridor, Hy-Vee is the best in my opinion. They have five in Sioux Falls, one in Vermillion, one in Yankton, one in Brookings, and one in Watertown. Hy-Vees are generally clean and have a wide variety of items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 05:57 PM

479 posts, read 1,555,484 times
I used to work at Kessler's.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:58 PM

142 posts, read 308,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyleroux View Post
Yep, that sounds right. I didn't know Karl's bought out Aberdeen TV. I'll never forget going over to the Red Owl in my Godfather's uniform, and some lady asked me where the tomatoes were like I worked there.
And now that jars another memory. Around the corner, down the block a bit was a place called 4 brothers or something. I think John Sieh insurance and something else are in there now.
I don't know if I've ever heard of 4 Brothers, but my oldest memories of Aberdeen are from the 80's and those are even kind of spotty. Don't ever wear a red t-shirt when shopping at Target though. I had a couple different customers approach me and ask questions

Old 12-02-2009, 06:08 PM

142 posts, read 308,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
For some reason, I am impressed with Kessler's in Aberdeen when I have visited Aberdeen for work once and visited friends and relatives in the area in the past.
Kessler's was formerly known as Kessler's Supervalu but I don't know when they dropped Supervalu from the name. I always like to look at the old historic store photos they've blown up and hung near the ceiling throughout the store. They've stayed really competitive and I would venture to guess the effect of the walmart supercenter has been minimal on their business, or at least less than Econofoods or Ken's Superfair. Rumors floated a few years back that the Econofoods in Aberdeen was closing, but that never happened although they are no longer open 24 hours. And for fun, here's a link to an old pic of Spies' in Watertown:

www.flickr.com/photos/wirkafamily/1834373593/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wirkafamily/1834373593/ - broken link)

I know there's another pic of Spies' in Watertown from the 60's on the net somewhere, but I'm having trouble finding it now.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoteauKid View Post
I don't know if I've ever heard of 4 Brothers, but my oldest memories of Aberdeen are from the 80's and those are even kind of spotty. Don't ever wear a red t-shirt when shopping at Target though. I had a couple different customers approach me and ask questions
Hah.
4 Brothers left in the mid 80's I think. I can't remember what their niche was, something like they'd carry groceries to your car...something like that. My favorite store there when I was a little kid was Heinz Market, just because it was a block from my aunt's house. That and they had candy.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:02 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyleroux View Post
Hah.
4 Brothers left in the mid 80's I think. I can't remember what their niche was, something like they'd carry groceries to your car...something like that. My favorite store there when I was a little kid was Heinz Market, just because it was a block from my aunt's house. That and they had candy.
I remember Heinz Market in Aberdeen! My grandma lives about 8 blocks or so from there. I remember walking there... for candy as well .
It hasn't been closed for too long.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:39 PM

17 posts, read 47,837 times
Out west. Boyd's drug mart was Piggly Piggly. The Sturgis Piggly Wiggly is not Sturgis Harley. The Leuder's stores were both Safeway as was what is now the empty IGA in Deadwood. Rapid had 2 sooper doopers. The west side is a FTC and the east side locations is a dollar store. FTC now has a location in the old Albertsons downtown. And the sooper dooper in sturgis is just a vacant building.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:42 PM

948 posts, read 2,791,858 times
There is a roomer that Leuders investors are thinking of giving it a whirl at the now empty Deadwood location. I wish them luck, but with so few year round residents plus the competition with Lynns in Lead and super wal-mart in Speafish it will be a tough go. Personally I think an oversized convenience store with gas and a small eat-in deli/coffee shop would go over. Anyone remember Kings grocery in Lead? Although they aren't an open door place anymore they still make their homemade pizza, breakfast, and meat pasties for a number of convenience stores - they had the best specialty items and all the meat was weighed to order.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:08 AM

163 posts, read 215,356 times
I've wondered about Kessler's in Aberdeen. Nice store, but it's not a chain store, is it? As for the Jamboree food stores. There's a Jamborees in Freeman. A lot of towns have these "Affiliated" stores. As I understand it, the affiliated stores are just independently owned grocers having their own "buying group" that's why they all seem to run the same sales. I know there are affiliated grocery stores in Freeman, Menno, Scotland, Tyndall, Parkston, and Platte, to name a few.

As far as the Jone's food center stores that someone mentioned earlier. Tom got his start in Viborg. He bought out Barne's Jack & Jill. Over the years he's added stores. He has a lovely new store in Parker. He did have one in SPringfield, but I don't know if he still does or not as it's been years since I've been down there. Nothing much left of that town except PenState.
It was quite a little community when the University was still in operation. I know a lot of people in south central South Dakota really miss the school.
When a college leaves a town, it more or less affects everybody. Springfield's main street is a testimony to that, and so is Freeman's.
I've enjoyed reading all the replies to this thread. It's been real interesting.

Someone above mentioned King's in Lead. I don't remember that, but when we lived by Sturgis, we always shopped at Super Duper and then at Goldberg's in Deadwood. I've not been back to Deadwood since the gambling took over. Anyone know what became of Goldgerg's????

Old 12-03-2009, 06:16 AM

No, Kessler's is a single store, family owned business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota