Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:17 PM

393 posts, read 1,073,166 times

Advertisements

Well, given the news, oil prices, the election, the bailout, me losing my job, losing my house, and so much other stuff going on, my confidence in just about everything (other than God and my Wife), is at or near absolute zero.

I just feel sick inside most of the time these days. We've moved out of our house, the short sale is supposed to close before the end of the month, and I've started a new job, so I should feel great right? Before we had some luck, we sold off a lot of our belongings to get by. Now we need a few things. When I go out shopping, there is almost nothing I feel like buying no matter what the price is or no matter how much we may actually need it. I'll buy groceries, some simple things, but that's about it.

I never understood why my Grandfather was the way he was all his life after having lived through the depression and many wars. Now I COMPLETELY understand him.

If I dwell on things too much, I feel pressure in my chest so for the most part, I just shut down and don't care much about anything. Things that I used to value, now for the most part mean nothing to me. I know I'm not the only one feeling like this, and I know I'm not alone.

How are you all doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 10:09 PM

60 posts, read 243,874 times
Default Sorry

I'm sorry to hear about your adversity. My wife and I had a house in Weeki Wachee Florida that bankrupted us too. First the taxes doubled with the revised assessments, and with all the hurricane threats, our homeowners insurance went up to $3000 per year.We couldn't sell it for any amount. If we would've sold it in 2005 instead of 2006, we would've been doing great.

Thank God, we still have our Pittsburgh home, but our credit is destroyed for up to 10 years.To compound everything, I had medical issues where I couldn't work for 8 months (no income), but the damage was already done. We almost lost our Pittsburgh home too -- almost 2 homes in 2 years . We are doing "a lot" better now, our house is safe again, and I don't care about the things we lost. All I care about is my wife and kid. Things are bad now for many of us, but things usually get better. You have your wife and your faith, and when you are on your deathbed -- that's all that matters. Family and love is priceless! You are a much richer man -- than you already know.

Read my post under 'Least Favorite SD Towns' on page 4 -post #33. My experience overseas (Philippines) made me appreciate things more -- when I think things are bad here. Many others here, can attest to the conditions in Pine Ridge to make them appreciate things more, but many there (adult residents in Pine Ridge) are purely self destructive. You -- did your best! Give it some time -- to rebuild. If you are really hurting, seek help: emotionally, spiritually, and financially -- from all sources available. Start over again!

Take care!

Last edited by pikie; 09-22-2008 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: TYPO

Old 09-22-2008, 11:02 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,580,097 times
BH, I still feel awful about what happened to you. Even though it's awful, everything happens for a reason. Years from now you may feel that this changed your life for the better.

As for me~I'm not materialistic~ I wasn't as a child~I was as a teen~then I reverted back. We have also been through some very rough times years ago, but we're doing ok. I'm greatful that there's always enough $$ to pay our bills and save a bit and still do a few things we enjoy. We'll never be rich and that's ok. My Faith, my Family, my Friends, and my Furballs are basically the only things that mean much to me.

Yea, I know~ we're supposedly suffering from depression if we don't like to go out binge shopping or finding joy in materialism. So I must've been depressed for most of my life.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:20 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,431,308 times
I typed a whole long post out just now, and I hit Submit Reply, and I got a message saying that the server was too busy .
BH, I'm sorry to hear about that! Just got to keep your head up, and remember that you'll get through it. Just try to keep your mind on the positive things, like your wife .
On the other side of the coin, the news is just filled with negatives. It is hard not to get depressed about it.
When I look back as I was growing up, my parents were frugal with their money. Now I admire them for that, because now they don't have the money worries.
As far as me, I've only been "out in the real world" for about 3-4 years. I live in a decent apartment, drive a decent car, but do not have much for savings.
I'm still building up my career, and plan on going back to school in January.
I have definitely been cutting back on things... I don't go out to movies/restaurants/bars as much anymore. I hate buying groceries... It seems like everytime I go, I drop about $70-$80. I've been buying store-brand items more often... I used to go to one of the local grocery store chains (Sunshine Foods), but the prices are so much higher. I've been going to Wal-Mart to get groceries, I save quite a bit of money.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:23 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,431,308 times
Jammie, What are your Furballs?

Old 09-22-2008, 11:36 PM

19,728 posts, read 10,555,508 times
we have slowed down, on our spending habits, as well....i have done some canning this year, for the first time, in many years.....

Old 09-23-2008, 12:28 AM

27,955 posts, read 40,016,026 times
I have got rid of most of my debt. Paid off vehicles being the big one. No credit card debt. Only thing is medical bills and house payment.

Setting OK. Job is stable, my business that I own is stable as well. Not rolling in the money but doing OK.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:30 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,769,890 times
BH I wish you all the best. I feel terrible that I want out of the Black Hills so bad and it's the one place you long to be!

I'm only 19 so I haven't had much experience in the "real world" yet but I do fear for the future. I was researching out-of-state schools like Colorado, Texas, and Oregon and I was hoping to go to one of them in January but tuition will be too much and I'm going to have to work another few months to save up enough to move. I finally decided to go to school next fall in Minneapolis because I can get reciprocity and I know a lot of people there. I am kind of bummed out that I won't have any beautiful mountains to gaze upon but it's the situation that works the best for me and my family. Times are just too tough right now. I will be majoring in French and if another major comes along so be it.

I'm worried that I'll work and work all my life and that the cost of living will be so high that I will never be able to own a home or maintain a good savings. Any hope I had of investing money has been shattered with the recent Wall Street crisis and to be totally honest, I have little faith in either candidate from this election. I just think it's too bad that I'm only 19 and my outlook on the future is bleak and fills me with worry. I pray to God that I'm not dumb enough to have kids at a young age because I honestly could never afford them! My mother is having a hard time making ends meet right now and she has a professional job in the healthcare industry. My dad sold his original house and moved up to his summer house in Michigan because he couldn't afford both and he would rather be in a place he loved. He doesn't make as much money now, but at least he's happy and healthy.

I remember going to Safeway with my mom and she thought $.75 for a loaf of bread was outrageous. Now bread runs over $3.00 and the entire grocery bill is triple what it was when I was just 12 years old. The sad thing is, minimum wage has gone from $5.25 to $6.55 since 1997. What a joke!!!

I don't understand. What ever happened to this country? Lately I've been reading a lot more and my new favorite author is Kurt Vonnegut. If you're familiar with him, he is a modern satirist and he adds clever humor to his writing. Read A Man Without a Country. It gives humor to America's dangerous situation.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:31 AM

61,254 posts, read 87,859,151 times
i think this is the part of the ride where the roller coaster goes straight down.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:15 AM

27,955 posts, read 40,016,026 times
Blackhills dream I hope things turn around for you shortly. That is an aweful feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota