Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:36 AM

20 posts, read 94,961 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me feedback on this town? I am looking at Marshalltown Iowa and Watertown. Bout frozed my tush off in Feb., TRYING to check both town out, but ended checking out hotels instead. My house is sold and I HAVE TO MAKE A DECISION! Help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 12:27 PM

46 posts, read 379,945 times
they have a starbucks in Watertown, thats a rarity in SD

Old 03-23-2007, 04:40 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Watertown is a nice town. I haven't been there too often, but it appears to be neat and friendly. I have no idea what they have for employment or what they'd have for housing though. Their local paper should have that info. They have a beautiful art museum there. It's called the Terry Redlin Art Center. They have all his pics in there and the building itself is absolutely beautiful. The last time we were there, they were planning on doing something with the grounds and it was supposed to be very nice~something like a wild life area. Not sure if you're familiar with the artist, but if you are, it will give you a good idea of what some of the surroundings look like without snow. That's where he did most of his painting and even though he has things from a different era in his pics, the background is from the Watertown area. You'll also notice a "Langenfeld's Ice Cream" truck in some of his pics. They were his wife's family and also were from there. Sorry I can't help you with much first hand info of the town itself. Is there anything specific we can try to help you with?

Old 03-23-2007, 08:40 PM

20 posts, read 94,961 times
Unhappy Have to make decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Watertown is a nice town. I haven't been there too often, but it appears to be neat and friendly. I have no idea what they have for employment or what they'd have for housing though. Their local paper should have that info. They have a beautiful art museum there. It's called the Terry Redlin Art Center. They have all his pics in there and the building itself is absolutely beautiful. The last time we were there, they were planning on doing something with the grounds and it was supposed to be very nice~something like a wild life area. Not sure if you're familiar with the artist, but if you are, it will give you a good idea of what some of the surroundings look like without snow. That's where he did most of his painting and even though he has things from a different era in his pics, the background is from the Watertown area. You'll also notice a "Langenfeld's Ice Cream" truck in some of his pics. They were his wife's family and also were from there. Sorry I can't help you with much first hand info of the town itself. Is there anything specific we can try to help you with?

I am just looking for input. My house is closing here in Oregon at the end of May, and I still don't know where I am going. Yes, I know I am crazy. Long and short of it--bad contractor, 13 month build, gave him too much $$, now I can't afford to live here. I need a change anyway. I think. I go between "Hey a new adventure", to "Oh my gosh, I hate my life." Blah and blah.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:35 PM

Just checked out their newspaper and it's called, "The Public Opinion". There seem to be a few jobs there and a few houses for sale and also vacant apartments. If you check it out and there doesn't seem to be anything there you're interested in, you may want to consider Sioux Falls. It's the largest city in our state and has an abundance of jobs. Personally, if I would have a choice of where to live in the state, it'd definitely be West River. It's beautiful out there and they have much milder winters then we do East River. Just not too many jobs out there unless you're in the healthcare field.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:19 PM

64 posts, read 489,204 times
Default Lakes

As you drive south from Watertown, there are many small lakes. The surrounding area explains why this is all a part of the GREAT AMERICAN PLAINS. Most of the people living there are from the bygone hospitailty of neighborliness and courtetsy. Visting relatives in Watertown in 1998 I was overwhelmed with the friendliness.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:55 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkton View Post
they have a starbucks in Watertown, thats a rarity in SD
I seriously had to check Starbucks website because I didn't believe you I am in shock they finally got a starbucks!!!! Now I can go visit.

Seriously though, my family lives in Watertown and I lived there for 10 years myself. It's an ok town I guess. People are friendly, but for me it was just too familiar if you know what I mean. To give you an idea, the guy I went to prom with ended up having a baby and marrying the same girl my brother and my cousin both dated. Also, another cousin ended up having two kids with a girl my brother dated in high school. It seemed like someone was always having an affair or having a baby with someone I knew in one way or another. Too much drama.

I too prefer Sioux Falls for jobs, shopping, eating out, etc...but then I've never been out west. I hear the scenery is much better out west. My brother and his wife now live in Sioux Falls.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:14 PM

HI Floridadreamer, I highly recommend that you take a trip out West. You'll be really surprised at how different and how beautiful it is out there.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:47 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
HI Floridadreamer, I highly recommend that you take a trip out West. You'll be really surprised at how different and how beautiful it is out there.
I want to, it's just a long drive from where my family lives in Watertown and I don't get there often enough to see them as it is. And it would have to be in the summer of course. I crave sunshine.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 7,545 times
Watertown is a nice little place. always had every thing we needed when we hunt there. Cool wildlife art gallery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota