Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 12:19 PM

60 posts, read 180,521 times

Advertisements

We are looking for the best town to move in northern SD. We stll have young children (10 and 12)...thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 02:46 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,499,488 times
I grew up, about 40 miles south of Aberdeen, but have not lived in the immediate area, for over 20 years. I do have friends, still living there. It has been several years, since I have been back, to visit.
My parents ''doctor'', and ''shop'' in Aberdeen.

Here is the link, to the newspaper, there.
AberdeenNews.com

Old 10-19-2008, 06:58 PM

Thanks

Old 10-19-2008, 08:00 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,410,865 times
Blue Sky, I grew up about 20 miles from Aberdeen (population about 25,000), and am very familiar with it. It'd be a great community to raise a family... The schools are good as well. Crime is very low... If you like the small town feel, you will like Aberdeen.
Any specific things you would like to know?

Old 10-20-2008, 11:01 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,925,813 times
I have been to Aberdeen quite a few times, passing through to visit relatives in Eureka and visiting a buddy who went to school there. Aberdeen is overall a decent community and the people are friendly. The city has a Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Shopko, Target, Herberger's Dept. Store, JC Penney's along with several grocery stores and a few stores in their smaller mall. The city has a fair amount of eating options. With new industry coming to town, the retail options will grow as a result.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:05 AM

400 posts, read 1,238,606 times
I lived in Aberdeen until 5 years ago, moved to Sioux Falls to go to school for greenhouse. All of our family is still there so we visit every couplel of months.
Schools are pretty good, several jr. highs to choose from (2-3 if I remember right) and a new high school in the last few years. Class sizes are not large so lots of one-on-one. The town really gets into athletics and they have a big parade for Gypsy Days (NSU) every year.
Rent prices are a little high but not outrageous, hope you don't have dogs though because that will make it impossible to rent. Home sales are decent and prices are average.
Jobs shouldn't be hard to come by. What do you do for a living? There's a new factory building the blades for the big wind turbines - they pay well and provide good benefits. There's also 3M and several other large factories to choose from.
Restaurants not bad - try the Flame, Mavericks, or one of the sports bars.
Bars are abundant and varied from sports bars to strip bars and they have several for the 40-60 crowd.
Only bad thing is that there are NO towns close by that are more than blips. You're gonna have to do some driving to find anything larger than Aberdeen.
Not a bad place to raise a family all things considered.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
Blue Sky, I grew up about 20 miles from Aberdeen (population about 25,000), and am very familiar with it. It'd be a great community to raise a family... The schools are good as well. Crime is very low... If you like the small town feel, you will like Aberdeen.
Any specific things you would like to know?
Thank you so much....
I really would love to see some pics of the town. City Data has only one picture of a park, a very pretty one I might add.
How is shopping and restaurants?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
I have been to Aberdeen quite a few times, passing through to visit relatives in Eureka and visiting a buddy who went to school there. Aberdeen is overall a decent community and the people are friendly. The city has a Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Shopko, Target, Herberger's Dept. Store, JC Penney's along with several grocery stores and a few stores in their smaller mall. The city has a fair amount of eating options. With new industry coming to town, the retail options will grow as a result.
Thank you Chris...LOL...that took care of my last inquiry!
My grandparents used to live in Eureka...gorgeous country.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:48 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,718,728 times
I have never been to Aberdeen but here is a link to their mall.

Lakewood Mall, Aberdeen, South Dakota

Old 10-22-2008, 08:52 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,410,865 times
Shopping and restaurants are OK for a town its size.
Here is a link for dining: Aberdeen Convention & Visitor's Bureau (http://www.visitaberdeensd.com/dining.html - broken link)
For shopping, they have the Lakewood Mall...
Here's a link for that: Lakewood Mall, Aberdeen, South Dakota
They have quite a few shops downtown too.

I'll try and find some other pics online!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota