Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:16 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,726,219 times

Advertisements

Here's a funny story...
I was getting off of work at about 2:00 pm this afternoon when a customer was going on about how Hillary Clinton was supposed to be showing up at Jerry's Cakes and Donuts in Rapid City. I work about a block away from there so I asked what time Hillary was supposed to be visiting there. He said, "Five minutes." I didn't believe him so I went down to check it out. Sure enough, when I pulled up, there was a huge crowd of people and Hillary Clinton was coming out af a black Tahoe in a presidential motorcade!!!

Needless to say- last thing I expected to see when I woke up this morning.

KOTA Territory NewsFormer president to visit Rapid City
Bill Clinton visits Rapid City at Stevens Senior High School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 10:29 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,471,819 times
Danny, that is so cool!!! You always end up getting in on neat stuff like that. She was in Bath, SD today and they aired it live so my soap opera wasn't even on.

Bill was also supposed to have been in Pine Ridge. And of course, Hillary was in Sioux Falls several days ago.

Obama was the first one to open a headquarters in the state so I figured he'd have been here by now, BUT he'll be in Sx. Falls Friday. I just had an update in my email and he is opening an office in Mitchell, too. They asked both candidates if they'd consider coming to Mitchell and Obama's office said he'd be open to visiting any place in the state.

It seems like we're always left in the background because of our late voting slot, but this time our state may actually get a bit of attention.

I'm the typical South Dakota Republican, but decided to switch to Democrat for a while. I really like one of the candidates so I wanted to vote in the Demo primary. Not sure what I'll do if that person wins the nomination and November rolls around cause I'd feel like a traitor not voting for McCain.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:42 AM

I am also registered as a Republican but I think I will be voting Democratic this time around. Bill Clinton visited Pine Ridge the day after he was in Rapid City and John McCain is set to visit Rapid City during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. Ted Kennedy is slated to be at the Journey Museum in Rapid City this morning.

I kinda wish Obama would visit Rapid City too.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:27 AM

It is kind of exciting to be noticed for a change, isn't it?

You probably already know this, but you have until Monday to switch parties if you wanna vote on the Demo ticket for our primary. I realize the general election has nothing to do with the party you belong to, but the primary does. McCain is pretty much a shoe-in so I figured that'd be kind of a wasted vote. The gals said that there have been a lot of people in the area who are switching parties so they can vote Demo in the primaries. I just hope it's people who really WANT one of the candidates instead of people who are chosing someone that they think McCain can definitely beat. Politics can get kind of crooked in that way, too.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:28 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,413,811 times
I hear ya Jammie... the delegates/super delegates is so confusing....
Obama is at the Sioux Falls arena ...He started speaking at 7 pm... He spent a good deal of time in Watertown as well... I wish I could've gone

Old 05-16-2008, 08:34 PM

MJ, I wish I could've gone, too. We've been following the candidates schedules, but by the time we found out when Obama was going to be here, work interfered. You know how that goes.

It sounds like there was a pretty good crowd up in Watertown~2100 was the number that I heard.

We did get to catch a lot of the Sioux Falls visit on UPN and it was really good. It looked exciting and the count was 5300 people. Pretty impressive for a Red State.

You've probably had newspaper articles, too that have been showing a shift of long time Republicans switching to Democrat. I doubt that it means much more then the fact that many of us would like to vote on the Demo ticket in June.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:09 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,929,988 times
I am excited to see both Obama and Hillary come to the state and speak.I wanted to go and see Obama speak, but had errands to run. It is great to see that many people at the Arena area to see Obama speak. I will vote, even if it is absentee. I plan to vote for Obama and think that he will be great for the country and will bring optimisim and vision back to the country, something the nation needs badly. McCain is a nice person, but I do not feel comfortable with him as president and Hillary and Obama are better candidates in my opinion.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:29 AM

314 posts, read 931,710 times
Default I'm a democrat but I dont see voting that way this year

Subject: In Obama's own words

This guy wants to be our President and control our government. Pay close attention to the last comment!! Below are a few lines from Obama's books ' his words:

From Dreams of My Father: 'I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites.'

From Dreams of My Father: 'I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mothers race.'

From Dreams of My Father: 'There was something about him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself, maybe. And white.'

From Dreams of My Father: 'It remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names.'

From Dreams of My Father: 'I never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own. It was into my father's image, the black man, son of Africa , that I'd packed all the attributes I sought in myself, the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, DuBois and Mandela.'

From Audacity of Hope: 'I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.'

Old 05-21-2008, 09:39 AM

19,726 posts, read 10,508,850 times
thank you, cancan

Old 05-21-2008, 02:06 PM

Cancan, I think Obama is just discussing his past and his previous dealings with his issue of race. I do not see how this makes him a poor candidate. And what is wrong with Islam? I believe that Christianity, Judaism, and any other religions are just as dangerous. I do not base candidates on terms of their religious beliefs and their own personal issues. I base them on whether or not they are a good choice for a nation that has been out of whack for the past eight years.

And no, I am not an extreme liberal. I am actually very conservative in my views. I consider myself a Republican and yet my vote is for Obama in this campaign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota