Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 10:33 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,558,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitter View Post
Its fun to have big politicians in SD. I remember when RFK was in SD (ok I was only 5) but I remember shaking his hand. These larger than life people swallow up our little lives here on the prairie. Being such strong personalities (doesn't hurt to have tons of support) they are swaying masses just with their presence.

You are so right. We're usually left out in the cold and it's just nice to get a bit of attention. Oh, and you're eight years younger then I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 04:14 PM

OK, we got to go up and see Obama. He gave a very good speech. Part of it contained the "Greenwood, SC" story so by the end, most of us were chanting the, "Fired up!! Ready to go!!". It was a very nice experience. He is a very dynamic speaker and a captivating human being.

It was a bit toasty on Main Street since we're used to having it so cold here. It was 84 degrees. One poor gal fainted and Obama brought attention to it so someone could help her.

We took pics, but I use disposable cameras so we'll already have our President elect before I have those pics back.

They said about 2200 people attended so that wasn't a bad turnout for our little area.

Unfortunately, it just all ended too soon.

End or report.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:00 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,428,080 times
Great report Jammie! When I got home from work, I flipped to CNN...and I saw the Corn Palace! And a HUGE crowd filling the street... I still have yet to see a presidential candidate in person...

Old 06-01-2008, 06:14 PM

314 posts, read 934,990 times
ahhh the old fainting routine Got em again

Old 06-01-2008, 06:37 PM

MJ, it's really something you'd enjoy. It's just the excitement of it all that's fascinating.

In yesterday's local newspaper, they were drawing some of the parallels from just 40 years ago. It was things like McGovern introducing RFK then and Obama now. Their offices are across the street from each other and both campaigns had young, enthusiastic people who loved making up banners. Can't remember some of the others. But then it went on to say that our primary was June 4th that year and we all remember what happened June 5th. PARTS of the article were really interesting even though I wasn't quite old enough to vote yet then, I still remember a lot about the primary and June 5th. It was just a very good experience overall and I'm glad we went.

We learned that Hillary will be at the WH Lyons Fairgrounds tomorrow, too. But we'll be working.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:38 AM

189 posts, read 566,645 times
thank you smitter and jammie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota