Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 05:33 PM

33 posts, read 177,582 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to Sioux Falls.We thought we might move to Erie Pa with his job but decided not to.Everything i read about Sd is really great.We live in Sc now and I would like to have snow.My husband is a shipping manager at a welding shop.Do you think it would be easy for him to find a job?Also I am a CNA soI 'm sure I could find something.I was wanting to know if there are any "bad" parts of town in Sioux Falls? We are going up next month to look around.I think we will rent an apartment to start with.Any suggestions?We have 3 children.And the schools have to be an improvement compared to Sc.We rank 48th...I think.Thanks for all of your help~Stacy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 11:26 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,462,342 times
Butifly, I'm not sure exactly what Sx. Falls has, but there are a lot of welding factories in Mitchell. It's a little over an hour away from Sx. Falls. I can't imagine that Sx. FAlls wouldn't have something in his line of work. And you could probably get a job and start tomorrow. They have two big hospitals there and also several nursing homes and they're always looking for people in the medical field.

I really don't know the town well enough to suggest good places to live. There are some areas that are a bit run down, but we don't really have major slum areas or bad parts of cities like they do in the more populated areas of the country. Sioux Falls is the fastest growing city in the state. In the 70s the population was about 75,00 and the past few years, it's boomed. They think they'll hit 150,000 this year and their projections are to hit 200,000 just a few years down the road. They have a very nice area that they're in the process of getting built up now. It's called the Phillips to the Falls and it's starting to look very nice there. They have a lot of neat shops and it's just a quaint looking area going down Phillips Ave. The "Falls" in the name is Falls Park. It's a very nice place to relax. They're planning on building a lot of housing in that area, too. Have you ever been to So. Dak before?

Old 04-15-2007, 02:55 PM

33 posts, read 177,582 times
No,We have never been there.We are going out next month.But from everything we have read and seen it looks wonderful.I am so glad we decided not to go to Erie after all.Thanks for helping me.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:52 AM

451 posts, read 977,413 times
I don't know if I have the correct thread here, but here goes. I live in AZ currently. We are planning a move to SD soon. I am a registered nurse and have noticed more opportunity in this area than currently exists here. Additionally, we are originally from a northern state and love the outdoors, change of seasons, and winter sports. However, that is not the main motive for this reply in this thread.

I am looking for a reply from people who escaped "rude people" in their move north. We are originally from WI and know what decent behavior is. It is not currently in existence where we live now. We are sleep deprived because one of our neighbors "escaped" this area and moved and rented his house. Between music and late night pool parties, those of us with jobs are beyond exhausted - we can't just sleep all day. This is just one example of what we've dealt with.

I am hoping there are people who can describe the general "behavior" in Rapid City; i.e., courtesy, following noise ordinances; is common decency alive in Rapid City? I am also interested in those who know what I mean and perhaps moved away from that that is this city (or other cities and/or states with similar experiences) and what their encounters and impressions are of Rapid City.

Essentially, I guess I am looking for 1960 values - does anything close to this exist in Rapid City?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:20 AM

819 posts, read 1,744,595 times
Default ??????????????????????????????

rapid is kinda stuck in the 80s with some really bad drivers.the people here are really nice. and I mean stuck in the 80s in a good way.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:25 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,806,597 times
People are generally friendly here. And for the most part show courtesy for their neighbors. Rapid City should what you are looking for AJ

Old 06-16-2009, 09:33 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,721,722 times
In a sense, people in Rapid City are... well frankly, boring. Everybody works, has a family, and enjoys a little recreation from time to time. Most people are pretty nice and neighborly too. If I ever have to borrow something I have no trouble knocking on my neighbors door and asking for it. Every now and then I get a knock at my door too.

People here don't know how to drive in traffic, but they'll always make space for you and they wave if you pass them a courtesy. I mean, Rapid City's no Mayberry by any means- we have our share of drugs, riff-raff, and party-goers. But most people keep to themselves and like to see the benefits of their hard work. It's not "wild" here by any means!

Old 06-16-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
rapid is kinda stuck in the 80s with some really bad drivers.the people here are really nice. and I mean stuck in the 80s in a good way.

Thanks so much for the reply. I'll gladly take stuck in the 80s and bad drivers (believe me - am so used to that - very common here) to get "really nice people".

Old 06-16-2009, 10:04 AM

Thank you all so very much for your replies. I read the courtesy shown to others (even if driving badly) and really smiled with the knock on the door for "borrowing" with happiness and some sadness. It has been ten years since I last experienced that wonderful type of neighborly behavior. I can see that we were correct in looking towards Rapid City. We've followed the threads (especially a great one with pictures that others post on the area) for a few months now. I am supposed to be taking this day to pack things up - a clearing out of sorts - before we list our home. We also plan to visit soon. We moved once to due a transfer and for silly reasons never corrected the error we made moving here in 1999. We, of course, will see for ourselves before we commit - but judging from your replies I think we will find we are right on track. BTW, is the hospital hiring??

Old 06-16-2009, 10:24 AM

288 posts, read 852,019 times
Hi AJ, I also moved from Wisconsin to Arizona and lived there for 15 years. Now I'm in the Chicago area, which isn't as friendly as Wisconsin, but at least it's not trashy like Arizona. Good luck in SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota