Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,252 times

Advertisements

i am try to find out where to relocated i am a hispanic and black i want the best from me and my kids i lived in florida and in new york i need a change but not a drastic one i want to know is it hard to live how are the jobs and rent is there any type of assitants to help out and is it a good idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 12:30 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,113,804 times
If you are looking for a not-so-drastic change from Florida and NY, you are headed in the wrong direction. EVERYthing about SD is different from Florida and NY, from the temperatures to the culture and everything else in between. I grew up in SD and Upstate NY - they are WORLDS apart, and if you are talking about Downstate, the gap between them grows substantially! Rapid City is a young, RURAL (whether they like to admit it, or not) city. Sioux Falls is up and coming and might be more to your liking, but still very, very different from what you are accustomed to.

Having lived there, I would recommend Indiana or Illinois (well, maybe not, considering their current tax issues). Maybe South Bend or an Indianapolis suburb to get more of what you are looking for. Other threads have discussed rent and jobs. It is highly unrecommended that you come into the state with your hand out. SDakotans have a hard-work ethic. Be willing to work hard, realize that wages aren't near what they are for the same jobs elsewhere, love wide-open spaces and clean air and the fact that your kids (generally) won't have to worry about getting shot going to or from - or at - school. No one really cares what color your skin is if the above applies to you.

Just understand that SD doesn't even remotely compare to Florida or New York. That's why we like it here!

Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,115 times
I was also considering moving to South Dakota. How is the job market there? Also schools and what kind of diversity in religion and race is there?

Old 02-19-2011, 10:56 PM

4 posts, read 15,013 times
Red face Wanting to relocate to SD...probably near Rapid City...

So my fiancé and I want to relocate to SD. He lived there before he came here to Iraq. I lived in Florida. Now we're leaving some time in May or June and we want to move to Rapid City. I've been applying for jobs and so far nothing. I'm getting rather nervous because our termination date is closing in and we still don't have any job prospects. How is the economy out there right now? I'm a chef and working as a food service manager for the military right now and I have a lot of experience as an administrative associate/assistant. My fiancé is a mechanic, but I'd like him to go back to school when we get to SD. We're both US Army Vets and I was also in the US Navy Reserves before coming to Iraq. We're hard workers...you have to be to make it here for 3 & 4 years. We work 7 days a week 12 hours a day here in Iraq. I was also looking at rental property there the other day. Rent doesn't look too bad really...but again with no job prospect so far I'm still nervous. We have to dogs (a Pit-Bull and an Italian Greyhound…both under 85 lbs) so that limits the rental possibilities. Can anyone suggest anything? Does anyone think there’s some info I should know? I appreciate the help and all the previous posts have been greatly helpful! Thanks a million!

Yesi & Alonso

Old 02-20-2011, 07:28 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,858,132 times
Good luck finding a place that will rent with large dogs. dogwalker is running into enough headache finding a place that will accept two beagles.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:08 PM

412 posts, read 959,574 times
It is difficult to find a place to rent with pets, especially dogs. I suggest going through a property management company (I used A&A Property Management, but there are others too) and letting them know what you need and when so they can be looking for it for you. You can also keep an eye on Craigslist. You may find what you're looking for there, too. There are also rental classifieds on the Rapid City Journal's website.

There ARE places that will allow pets (I had to find one with 2 dogs and a cat) but you will pay an extra deposit and possibly extra rent, usually $20 or $30 per pet. Don't wait until the last minute to start your search. Also consider areas outside of Rapid City. Landlords in smaller, more rural places around Rapid City such as Hermosa, Black Hawk, Rapid Valley, Box Elder, etc. are often more lenient about pets. You'll have to commute, but it may be worth it to you. I prefer the peace and quiet of country living, anyway, but it's not for everyone.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,503 times
I am looking at applying for a gov't job in Wall, SD. I've been researching on the internet to learn about Wall, SD community. Can anyone here tell me more about Wall, SD, who may have lived there themselves or been there? Thanks.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:55 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,658,219 times
No, you don't.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:16 PM

56 posts, read 224,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkittycat View Post
I am looking at applying for a gov't job in Wall, SD. I've been researching on the internet to learn about Wall, SD community. Can anyone here tell me more about Wall, SD, who may have lived there themselves or been there? Thanks.
Small and in the middle of nowhere. It would barely be a rest stop along the interstate without Wall Drug - with it, tourists stop through by the busloads. There's a couple small motels, cafes, and gas stations. It's about 45 minutes away from Rapid City which is where you'd find anything as far as shopping. Did I mention it's in the middle of nowhere and small? Hot in the summer, but humidity isn't awful, cold in winter and windy. I don't know what's available for housing or what costs are, but it's small enough that there probably isn't much available.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,353 times
hi im a young single mom with 2 small boys and in real need of relocation some how SouthDakota was the first on my list. i dnt kno much about the state and planned to take a vacation there in the earlier part of 2012. ive lived detroit, mi all my life and im tired of the ppl here on top of the fact there are practically no jobs and the few jobs that are available you have to have 5 or more years of exper. in the field. detroit is not a place i would want to raise my children im lookin for a fresh start, is there any cities that might fit what im lookin for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota