Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:36 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynKay View Post
Danny, I'd be grateful for your opinion about Rapid City in terms of growth, the bikers, anything you think might be useful. When we finally choose, we're going to come into the area with the attitude of looking to see how we can fit in and what we have to offer a community, so we want to do everything beforehand to increase our chances of choosing a place that's right for us, then let the adjustment come as adjustment always does.

Carolyn
I think Rapid City is growing at a very healthy rate. It's growing fast, but not nearly as fast as Sioux Falls or in other cities where you find a lot of foreclosures. Many people who raise families here stay because they find it so peaceful here. A lot of people who move away for their careers come back to settle down and raise a family and many people who have only visited here a handful of times love it so much that they retire here. Even members of my family say that they feel at peace here more than they do anywhere else.

The Sturgis Rally only lasts a week in August and they really don't bother anyone. I've never encountered a "mean biker". Most are just regular career oriented people who happen to have a love for Harleys and can afford to ride them out to the Black Hills. I've met bikers that are doctors, lawyers, accountants, you name it. The last time bikers really caused a problem was a few years ago when one was stabbed due to gang-related issues. I personally go to Sturgis every year and I find it to be boring. You can only see so many naked people and gas fumes before enougfh is enough.

I hope you do consider the Black Hills, but anywhere in South Dakota is really peaceful. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 03:37 PM

6 posts, read 23,056 times
Thumbs up Thanks Danny

You made me smile about the nudity and gas fumes, and helped me feel less skittish to boot. As more than a by-the-way, last week (or thereabouts) I came across a thread with several photos of Rapid City, and of those about half were taken by you. I sent the link to my husband (he was out of town), and when he got done looking at them (we had already done some research on Rapid City) he wrote back, "It's stunning. I want to move there!" So thank you for those.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:41 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynKay View Post
You made me smile about the nudity and gas fumes, and helped me feel less skittish to boot. As more than a by-the-way, last week (or thereabouts) I came across a thread with several photos of Rapid City, and of those about half were taken by you. I sent the link to my husband (he was out of town), and when he got done looking at them (we had already done some research on Rapid City) he wrote back, "It's stunning. I want to move there!" So thank you for those.
Just wanted to give you my opinion. Pierre is ok, but it's desolate and remote and isn't a haven for employment. The Hills have tourism, but you could still live a peaceful life there. You can just lay low for that first week of Aug. You can't go wrong out there. Pictures really don't do it justice. I haven't traveled an awful lot and my preference is actually a sub-tropical setting, but I've never seen more beauty then the Hills has to offer.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:27 PM

6 posts, read 23,056 times
Jammie

Thank you. If peaceful is possible--and it isn't, to us, any longer in San Diego, that's what matters more than (as you point out) one week in August. And yes, laying low is what we'll do. Worse scenario? I'll book a hotel a ways away for the week (any ideas?).

Isn't it a hoot how different folks are in terms of, well, everything but here I'm talking climate, because sub-tropical, your favorite, is my nightmare. I've got something wrong with me (doctors know what, but not why) and rather than feel uncomfortable or even simply miserable with high humidity and high temps (for me, we're talking 77 degrees and, say, 60+ %) and humidity, I pass out from heat stroke. I've had this problem for as long as I can remember (I almost passed out when I was three years old), and it's gotten worse, as everything does, as I've aged, so arid and semi-arid, and air conditioning when necessary, plus nights that dip low to give me a break and let me get out early for a walk, is what I need. Doctors are baffled and just say, 'get under air conditioning.' Yes, well, I knew that :-0

Old 03-06-2008, 07:14 PM

OMG Carolyn, I have the opposite problem that you have. I love the hot weather and I feel great in it. I've always hated the cold and snow and for about 10 years now it's affected my health. I have fibromyalgia, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, and carpal tunnel so you can imagine how I feel when it gets cold. During the summer, I barely know that I have health problems. In the autumn when the weather takes a turn toward the cold, I can barely move for a while. If I wasn't active and didn't exercise a lot and didn't work full time, I'd be a cripple for 8 months of the year.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:18 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
OMG Carolyn, I have the opposite problem that you have. I love the hot weather and I feel great in it. I've always hated the cold and snow and for about 10 years now it's affected my health. I have fibromyalgia, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, and carpal tunnel so you can imagine how I feel when it gets cold. During the summer, I barely know that I have health problems. In the autumn when the weather takes a turn toward the cold, I can barely move for a while. If I wasn't active and didn't exercise a lot and didn't work full time, I'd be a cripple for 8 months of the year.
So I guess my wife Is telling the truth...apparently she's the same as you and I'm the same as Carolyn.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
So I guess my wife Is telling the truth...apparently she's the same as you and I'm the same as Carolyn.
Oh my, that does put the two of you in a predicament as to where to live, doesn't it? If it's any consulation to you, I have very few aches and pains out in the Hills area. If you have their weather forecast set on "Aches and Pains", you'll notice that they are often at a "1" for low pain.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:05 AM

338 posts, read 1,369,277 times
Talking The Badlands.

I love this CD site! I travel about 6 mos/yr, and CD gives me a chance to share all the info I've accumulated - impressions, etc. of given places all over the U.S.!

Ok - I saw this thread and came and read... and just wanted to put in my 2c. I traveled w/a friend maybe... 10 years ago (?) and we drove throughout some great places in SD.

We were there just before Sturgis and had a blast! We were in a car, but we got to see a few folks arrive early on their bike which was very exciting and - yes, it was incredibly noisy - but what do you expect from a lineup of Harleys?!

The Black Hills were beautiful - that I remember. When we went to Mt. Rushmore, I was so impressed - they had a movie of how it was made and blasted - that was one of my favorite parts!

Sturgis, Black Hills, Harleys, ... but the most memorable thing to me was... the Badlands. Hands down. I love the outdoors, and they were gorgeous! I have always remembered them and look forward to sometime when I can go back. Like a painted wash of color - and unlike some places, you can get right out and touch the Earth! Take a raincoat - we did have rain. Be prepared with a camera. Memorable times are on their way!

Old 03-07-2008, 03:53 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
^^ Glad to hear you had a great time visiting South Dakota!

Old 03-07-2008, 08:48 AM

338 posts, read 1,369,277 times
Talking The SD Badlands - They'll put you... on Top of the World! (so to speak)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
^^ Glad to hear you had a great time visiting South Dakota!
Oh, yes! I did! And I just wish I had all those years of my thousands of photos on CDs now so I could share a few of them - the Badlands are just gorgeous! In one way, I liked them even better than the Grand Canyon bc you can drive around the GC but not always climb over the edge like you can at the Badlands. (Or at least when I was there...) I mean, yes - you can go down into the GC and even some parts, but I think bc the Badlands were "smaller", and the fact that you *can* get out and walk around right on top of them - it was much more enjoyable in that way to have visited them. Ha - reminds me of the old song - "I'm on the ... top of the world lookin' ... down on creation, and the only explanation I can find... is the love all around ever since you've been around... your love's put me on the top of the world!" (I think those were the words... they make sense anyway, and the Badlands ... just gave me that *warm, fuzzy feeling!* Lol. I think it'd be a fun place to camp...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota