Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 06:43 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times

Advertisements

The Daily Republic | Mitchell, South Dakota

They released the unemployment stats for some of our cities. It looks like things are getting a bit better. Mitchell was nearing 6% on the last report. It may have a bit to do with the fact that summer offers more employment???

Anyway, just wanted to share this with everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 09:21 AM

OOOPS!!! I didn't realize that the regular paper has so much more in the article then it does online.

Those are the stats for May and it says that one year ago, we were at a 2.5% unemployment rate. We're doing well though since it had been up to 6.7% and even in March it was still 5.9%.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:28 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,410,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
The Daily Republic | Mitchell, South Dakota

They released the unemployment stats for some of our cities. It looks like things are getting a bit better. Mitchell was nearing 6% on the last report. It may have a bit to do with the fact that summer offers more employment???

Anyway, just wanted to share this with everyone.
Maybe for smaller cities, the summer offers employment (high school, possibly college)...

Watertown isn't doing well... but at least it improved somewhat.

Thanks Jammie.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 PM

54 posts, read 148,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
Maybe for smaller cities, the summer offers employment (high school, possibly college)...

Watertown isn't doing well... but at least it improved somewhat.

Thanks Jammie.
You know.. I have said it before and i will say it again. The only reason we are in this mess with unemployment is that the UNIONS sucked the manufacturing business dry.
There was a time when Unions were needed.. I will agree there. But now, they have become so inflated that now the pay is to much. and the economy is sinking. (i wont rule out those CEO's who are ify as well)
there are a lot of things that have contributed to the fall of our economy. Mainly greed from ALL areas of business. but if you drill down you will see.. 1. unions - inflated wages and benefits, 2. unethical CEO's 3. wall street short term investmentors, and 4. political greed. This is only my observation. What is happening had happened before. every 70 to 80 years there is what i call a Economic Reset. old businesses die, and new ones come in. We all just have to be strong and pray and survive. in 4 to 5 years we will be on the bubble again and everyone will be happy.. think positive.. There are jobs out there.. we just have to take those jobs now because the competition for employment is very high.. believe me.. 170 applicants 220 interviews later.. i have 18 great employees who actually are wanting stability and a career..
This is only my opinion.. subject to debate.. everyone looks for blame and thats my story.. lol. the bottom line, just stay positive, be happy with the job you do have and just be the best that you can be in everything you do.
Respectfully
Scott

Old 06-29-2009, 09:29 PM

Scott, I'm not familiar with the unions or how they work...

I agree with the greed... It's ridiculous. I like to think of them as having no heart/conscience.

The housing mess is crazy... We really don't see it here.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:25 PM

Mskutnick, I couldn't agree with you more.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:54 PM

54 posts, read 148,949 times
Quote:
Mskutnick, I couldn't agree with you more.
awe thanks jammie..

Old 07-02-2009, 09:11 AM

479 posts, read 1,555,733 times
Per the Aberdeen American News:
Quote:
Wells Fargo Financial is eliminating some positions in Sioux Falls.

The company isn't disclosing the number, but an employee told KDLT News that more than 100 workers are losing their jobs.

Company spokesman Steve Carlson says all of the positions being eliminated are in sales. He says workers will receive help in finding other jobs, and can apply for other positions within the company.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 AM

The new national stats are out and unemployment has now risen to 9.5%. It's a smaller increase then they figured, but jobs are still being lost. It sounds like many are being created. It's just going to take time and that's not always good enough for those who haven't worked for months. Hopefully this will all pass soon.

I also read an interesting article yesterday about population growth. Our state hit 800,000 people~FINALLY!!! When I first learned of our population in the early 60s, we were at 600,000. Just nice, slow growth.

Mitchell has lost just a few people going from 14,808 down to 14,752. I had originally understood that we had grown to about 17,000, but that must just be the county.

Harrisburg had the state's largest growth at 15%.

Rapid City's growth was 2.36% and they're up to 65,491.

Sioux Falls had a growth of 2.3% and is now up to 154,997. Kind of funny cause when I was younger, Sx. Falls had a population of about 70,000.

More stats~last night I was reading on another state forum and I was curious about a comment made about animal abuse/neglect. I did a search and what I found wasn't encouraging.

http://www.aldf.org/article.php?id=786

We're not doing too hot and we should be ashamed. We all need to chip in and do more. We're nearly at the bottom of the rung and that's not good.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
The new national stats are out and unemployment has now risen to 9.5%. It's a smaller increase then they figured, but jobs are still being lost. It sounds like many are being created. It's just going to take time and that's not always good enough for those who haven't worked for months. Hopefully this will all pass soon.

I also read an interesting article yesterday about population growth. Our state hit 800,000 people~FINALLY!!! When I first learned of our population in the early 60s, we were at 600,000. Just nice, slow growth.

Mitchell has lost just a few people going from 14,808 down to 14,752. I had originally understood that we had grown to about 17,000, but that must just be the county.

Harrisburg had the state's largest growth at 15%.

Rapid City's growth was 2.36% and they're up to 65,491.

Sioux Falls had a growth of 2.3% and is now up to 154,997. Kind of funny cause when I was younger, Sx. Falls had a population of about 70,000.

More stats~last night I was reading on another state forum and I was curious about a comment made about animal abuse/neglect. I did a search and what I found wasn't encouraging.

Animal Legal Defense Fund*:*2008 State Animal Protection Laws Rankings

We're not doing too hot and we should be ashamed. We all need to chip in and do more. We're nearly at the bottom of the rung and that's not good.
That's not good... There was a story recently that someone dumped 16 cats in a ditch on a county road outside of Aberdeen. Most were malnourished...

Its really heartbreaking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota