Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:51 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,494,950 times

Advertisements

Oh yea, those bikers are pretty gentle folks in reality. Many of them are professionals who grow their hair long and grow beards to look tough for their one week at Sturgis.

As far as accepting newcomers~the Hills area has always been an attractive place for out of staters and even people from my area. Several people that I grew up with relocated out to the Hills and have spent their lives out there. I've never heard of anyone not feeling accepting or welcome there so you should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 07:25 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,735,247 times
I always hear that South Dakotans are some of the most friendly and welcoming people ever. I wouldn't know, living here all my life, but I think it's true. I for one love to help newbies and I love to give people directions and my opinions on the best hotels-restaurants-sights-etc.

Rapid City itself is not that touristy. People stay in hotels and eat at the restaurants but most tourists stay up in the hills and visit all the sights. I've never felt overcome by tourists but I guess the place where you would see the most of them would be along Highway 16 (Mount Rushmore Road). It's the main route into the mountains and to all the sights; TONS of RVs!

You do not need a permit to go gold panning. There are designated areas for it near Deadwood and if you go out of those areas just ask permission.

Motorcyclists are seriously some of the nicest people in the world. The "bad rep" that they have certainly doesn't show whenever I meet one. I love them and I am the guy who hates Harleys.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:24 AM

38 posts, read 176,173 times
Default Info...

Thanks for all the info! Really! I have found 2 states so far on these forums of friendly people, and South Dakota is one of them! Thank goodness. Peoples attitude, responses to others questions/comments, etc. tell me a lot about a state/city.

I am going to be visiting South Dakota in a month or two, so thanks again for all your info.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:05 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,935,305 times
Curosi-dee, it is great to hear a compliments about South Dakota and its people. I visit many other parts of the country but find it refreshing to be back in South Dakota due to the people (makes me appreciate what is here). By and large people in South Dakota are friendly and that is one of the reasons why I chose to remain here, but there are always going to be a few grumps/bad apples everywhere one goes (even in the friendliest of areas). Good luck with your trip to SD and hope it goes well.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:28 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,488,756 times
Post Curosi-dee!

I couldn't agree with you more! People's responses to questions, however silly or ill-informed do say a lot about their attitudes. I myself have found the South Dakota forum to be wonderful! What's in the water there?

I met some very nice people, who've actually sent me info in the mail on possible employment contacts! Who takes the time to do that these days?

I have plans in the works to visit South Dakota this summer, but looks like you'll beat me. Are you considering moving there? As a fellow Northwesterner, I'll be really curious to hear your impressions.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:08 PM

41 posts, read 129,196 times
We stayed in Deadwood on the Great Road Trip 2007 (Northern California to Minnesota & back). We were in SD for three days and I am looking forward to visiting again next year. We actually stayed in the Super 8 which was wonderfully cozy. Visited Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park and Bedrock City in Custer. Also, Wall Drug & the Badlands. Loved the whole state. I would love to consider moving there (probably Rapid City area) and am also looking at Mnpls as well. My concern is when I check out hotjobs.com and monster.com, I don't find many accounting positions. I am a full charge bookkeeper with almost 10 years experience and I have no idea where I would even begin to look for work!

Old 03-28-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chani29f View Post
I don't find many accounting positions. I am a full charge bookkeeper with almost 10 years experience and I have no idea where I would even begin to look for work!
Try looking at Rapid City businesses instead of job search engines. Due to our low population, we don't have much offered on those sights.

This is the best website to find a job in/near Rapid City:
Black Hills Region job search and jobs posting. Find a high quality employee. Find the perfect job.

I also suggest Black Hills Corporation. They have tripled in size and I have seen where they need accountants.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 22,716 times
I just wanted to set the record straight on city populations. South Dakotans are always trying to lie to others about city populations to make it sound larger than it actually is. So heres the TRUTH from the U.S. Census Bureau:

Rapid City (city), South Dakota: Population, 2003 estimate 60,876

Outdoor enthusiasts will love this place, but be prepared for lots of snow and winter that can last from October thru April. Aside from the outdoor activities, there isn't much else to do here besides the usual restaurants, bowling alley, movie theatre, etc.

Sioux Falls (city), South Dakota
Population, 2003 estimate 133,834

Larger than Rapid City and a larger "metro" area, but minus the pretty scenery. The east side of the state of South Dakota is flat prairie and farmland. I do not personally find eastern south dakota to be a "pretty" place to live. We have all the usual entertainment again: restaurants, bars, cinema, bowling alleys, art galleries, concerts, etc.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:08 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,142,197 times
From the census bureau, dated 1 July 2007.

Rapid City - 120,279

Sioux Falls - 227,171

And Rapid City has a lot going for it. If all you want is restaurants and the couple of bowling alleys, then enjoy. But I'd rather get envolved with the Convention Center happenings. Plays, choirs, rodeo's, stock shows, home shows and such.

Rapid City has two great High Schools and Elsworth has a High School. All three have wonderful sports teams that have 3 or 4 games you can go to every week.

Several excellent museums in town. School of Mines has of also.

A short drive can give you things to do like the Playhouse, Spearfish Canyon. The hills have several nice supper houses.

A excellent mall already there and another being built.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highblueskies View Post
Aside from the outdoor activities, there isn't much else to do here besides the usual restaurants, bowling alley, movie theatre, etc.
That's pretty much all there is to do in any city. People in New York probably get just as bored as we do. That's usually where alcohol comes in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota