Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 10:01 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,488,410 times

Advertisements

Hey Busy, that's great!! You'll have info about both areas. Might I add that the most beautiful part of the state is really out where you're living now? I absolutely love the Hills area.

Star, there are several medium sized towns in So. Dak. In the past, I would've encouraged you to go to a small town if that's what you like. Since this forum has started, I've actually asked people who weren't from the area their opinion on the friendliness and welcoming they got as newcomers. I don't want to put down small towns since we used to live in a super friendly small town, BUT I understand they aren't always that way. Which area of the state do you hope to relocate to? We could give you ideas of medium sized towns to check out. Also, I live in a college town and don't really know it. It's not noisy or rowdy or crime ridden, but it depends on where you've lived as to your perception of what a college town is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 10:05 AM
lcb

7 posts, read 30,432 times
BusySocialWorker and Southern Star, WELCOME!! One of the (many) wonderful things you will find about South Dakota is that we are open, genuine, friendly people. If you've found the courage to move to a different part of the country, you'll also find the courage to go to basketball games and church and community functions and your friendships will grow before your very eyes. Come On Over!!

For employment in a small town, our county seats are often the most economically healthy. Social Worker, you might want to research Custer, Belle Fourche, Hot Springs and maybe even Spearfish (does have a college, tho).

Southern Star, what fields of employment will you and/or your husband be heading for? Helathcare? Education? Finance? Legal? Ag? If your kids get into a small town school, you'll be automatically a part of the community that has lots of ways to meet people and build relationships. Most of our small towns find the school to be the center of activity.

Old 11-10-2006, 05:34 PM

33 posts, read 160,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roszatk View Post
Well, Sioux Falls sounds nice but too big. I'm looking for 1000-20,000. I think that the west side of the state sounds fabulous. I guess my biggest concern is that though I love the small towns, I may end up not being able to find work or friends. I don't know how big a concern this should be.

I have never lived anywhere but Port Angeles and Bellingham, both in Washington. Port Angeles is about 20,000, but all the people my age are only interested in going to the two crappy bars in town. I've just never been into the party thing. I hate to say it, but I'm shy/introverted and old-fashioned, so I just don't feel like I fit in here.
Bellingham is (to me) a fairly large college town, and I've never like college towns.

I just need a place where I can breathe some fresh air, and be myself.
I suppose this is too personal...I notice that most of the forum is about statistics and weather, etc, but I figure if I tell a little about myself, someone can tell me where a good place to start might be.

Like others have suggested I believe Rapid City and its surrounding area may suit you well. The population is 60,000, however, the situation there is quite different from where you are in Washington. Places like Bellingham and Port Angeles are more or less satellites to Seattle and Vancouver, BC. So, even thought Port Angeles may have a population of 20,000 due to its proximity to the large metro areas it will never seem small. I used to live in Rapid and currently live near Harrisburg, PA which claims a population of 50,000 but the greater area is actually 500,000 so even though its population is less than Rapids the reality is that compared to Rapid it's a big city place. Bottom line is you won't be overwhelmed by Rapid's 60,000 population. It's well laid out, easy to get around and no long lines at city,county,state services.

Best of luck Ros

Old 01-02-2007, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 9,809 times
i live in central washington and i like it but i am looking at moving there also.
i like small towns as well and sd sounds nice.
i know what you mean, bellingham is very yuppie and not going to change.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:34 PM

14 posts, read 41,708 times
Default Just Do It

Hi Ros. It's lots better being young and confused than old and confused like I am. For one thing, you're computer literate and can easily use the internet to check for employment (your number one concern, right?), and a roof to put your stuff under. (Walls are good too, especially in a typical South Dakota winter.) So, figure those two out using your computer, then yard sale everything you can't carry in a back pack or your shoulder bag, say goodbye to family and friends, catch the Amtrac from Bellingham to wherever you decide is the best place in South Dakota to start the rest of your life. A guy my age has his roots down too deep to be jumping around like a frog in a summer pond, but you're just starting out on this grand adventure we call life. You'll make great new friends, start a new career, maybe find that special someone, and all the rest is frosting on the cake. Take care. tunner

Old 04-07-2007, 02:32 PM

49 posts, read 247,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarple View Post
Places like Bellingham and Port Angeles are more or less satellites to Seattle and Vancouver, BC. So, even thought Port Angeles may have a population of 20,000 due to its proximity to the large metro areas it will never seem small.
Best of luck Ros
Port Angeles has a population of about 20,000, and it does not seem any bigger than it really is, because it is NOT a satellite to Seattle and Vancouver, BC.

Port Angeles is located on the North Olympic Peninsula. (Nearly 70 miles NW of seattle and 170 miles SW of Vancouver, BC.) The next closest city to Port Angeles is 17 miles away, Sequim. It has a population of about 5,000.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:52 PM

653 posts, read 3,412,074 times
I would suggest RAPID CITY. I myself, lived there for 4 years and loved it. I hope to retire there in about 10 years. One negative however, may be employment opportunities in Rapid. Really limited, as manufacturing, light Industrial and the like is nearly non-exsistent there. Unless a professional of some type, wages on the low side. But than again here in Las Vegas they try to fill jobs and only offer $7 an hour. But do check out Rapid City, it is beautiful there. AND you will find South Dakotans to be some of the friendliest people in the country. I know I did!!! Good Luck!!

Old 04-08-2007, 08:00 AM

46 posts, read 380,335 times
I grew up in Seattle/Tacoma and when i was 18 moved to Port Angeles and went to PC. I lived out there for about 4 years. PA does indeed feel like a small town, but it is great out there. Now i live in a town of 700 people (Faulkton) and commute into Aberdeen for school.

i would suggest Aberdeen SD. It's about 25K and definitely has a small town feel. It does have a small university (about the size of PC), but it isn't a university town. The local economy is good and finding a job shouldn't be too hard, depending on what you do. Wells Fargo is always hiring. There are also trains that come through failry often.

Aberdeen is the 'big city' in this part of the state and there are innumerable small towns within commuting distance. Shopping is OK, because most people in surrounding areas all shop in Aberdeen.. there are some department stores, Walmart, Menards, ect..

Ignore the geographical differences and Aberdeen is quite similar in size and appeal to port angeles. Replace Loggers and hippies with farmers and conservatives, and you should have a good idea of what its like here. The people are generally very friendly, old fashioned, and community orientated. It is not a party town, and by far more people attend church instead of bar hopping.

Last edited by faulkton; 04-08-2007 at 08:30 AM..

Old 04-09-2007, 05:48 AM

482 posts, read 2,228,610 times
Take a look at Aberdeen South Dakota as well. Check it out right here at the City-Data.com section. It is about 25,000. It is in the northeast corner of South Dakota. It has a airport that has carrier service. There are two universities there so if you want to further your education you can work on up to your masters degree. The average age is about 36 years old. The one thing that I liked about it when I stopped there going from Nebraska to North Dakota was the city appeared to be well kept and clean. I also found the people there friendly for the most part.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:23 PM

603 posts, read 575,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roszatk View Post
I am a young woman and currently live in Bellingham, Washington. I have decided I don't want to live here anymore and like the idea of South Dakota.
I'm not sure if you've spent any time in the midwest, but before you move you might want to vacation here for about a week in February. I'm heading to SD from Iowa so I know what to expect. But having spent quite a bit of time in Seattle, the midwest is very different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota