Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 05:58 AM

4 posts, read 18,557 times

Advertisements

hi there,

my family lives in Watertown, and i want to move there too. Right now, i still live in Germany, im gonna go to Watertown in April, but just on vacation again.

I have the american citizenship, and my 6 month old baby almost too. But what do i need, to life there.
Of course my birth certificate. But what else?
And what would be, if i cant afford an appartment, is it easy to get a trailer, to live in first?

And how do you handle it, with a child, as a single parent?
Where can i leave my son, when im working? he s gonna be about 2 years or younger, when i want to move there. cause here in germany, where i live, you can put ur child into kindergarten, when he is 3 or older....

And can i afford a living, when im working in hotels or restaurants first? do u think, i can live a month with that money? eventhough it wouldnt be much. as long as you can get over the month....

a lot of questions, i know. hope somebody can help me...

stephie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 11:22 AM

isnt there anybody who can help me?
please

Old 07-18-2010, 11:27 AM

819 posts, read 1,743,277 times
Default hi

For me I would have cable and a good Tv.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:51 PM

40 posts, read 82,385 times
Children start Kindergarten at age 5 here. Before 5 you put them in childcare, which can be very expensive. Sure you may be able to find a cheap trailer to live in but there is no way for any of us to know for sure how much you will make and whether or not you will be able to afford it. Most single mothers with no college under there belt do have a hard time paying the monthly bills.
You will need a birth certificate and papers from the US government stating that you are here legally. I don't know much about the process however.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:54 PM

thanks JCrow08

Hmm well those papers are no problem,
but i have another question.
does anyone knows,
if a german can move to the states to, without college?
i mean, there are so many mexican in watertown, without american citizenships, so it shouldnt be a BIG problem, or`?

greetz, stephie

Old 08-14-2010, 03:41 PM

19 posts, read 82,166 times
You can do it...just don't have too high of expectations at first as you may have to live in a house that may not be up to your standards...once you are there though it is not hard to network to find a job....even troughout the rest of the state. The biggest challenge is your children's security while at work. There are child care providers which are not necessarily day care centers which provide good services for a bit cheaper....Your cost will depend on your income as the provider is subsidized by the State govt. You'll make freinds fast Especially if your a church goer...no matter what church it is....It just brings out the best in folks. maybe has somethin' to do with the heat in the winter and A/C in the summer .
The Best solution of course is to have family members in the area to watch your little one. Look into the day care thing on the SD state govt. website.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:02 PM

109 posts, read 242,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondsunshine86 View Post
thanks JCrow08

Hmm well those papers are no problem,
but i have another question.
does anyone knows,
if a german can move to the states to, without college?
i mean, there are so many mexican in watertown, without american citizenships, so it shouldnt be a BIG problem, or`?

greetz, stephie
If the German citizen would want to move to the US legally, it's a bit of a mill to work through. If he/she is family, you can check out the options to sponsor a visa on his/her behalf. If not he/she would have to check out what options he/she has work wise. To be sponsored by an employer he/she would need to find somebody willing to go through the paper mill and have the time to wait it all through.
Doing it illegally is probably "easier" in that aspect, but personally I wouldn't want to live in the fear of being deported.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:51 AM

35 posts, read 47,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondsunshine86 View Post
hi there,

my family lives in Watertown, and i want to move there too. Right now, i still live in Germany, im gonna go to Watertown in April, but just on vacation again.

I have the american citizenship, and my 6 month old baby almost too. But what do i need, to life there.
If your saying you have American Citizenship then you don't really need anything except birth cert/US passport to go over and live.You will need to apply for a Social Security number for various reasons,i.e employment,bank account,etc.

If you don't have American citizenship and you have family living in the US legally,then you can have one of them sponsor you to come over.But if has to be a direct family member(mother,father,siblings,etc).

As for work sponsorship,unless you have a high college degree in a specialized field and can find an employer willing to jump through hoops to sponsor you,if not then that's not gonna be a viable option for you.

You need to ring the US Embassy in Germany and talk to them about how start the process as they will be the channels you will use to secure a visa.And it's not cheap,it cost us about $900 for a immigrant visa for my wife a few years ago so the rates might be more.

http://germany.usembassy.gov/]United States Diplomatic Mission to Germany - Home

Last edited by Redneck Reject; 08-15-2010 at 05:10 AM..

Old 12-01-2010, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,369 times
"You'll make freinds fast Especially if your a church goer...no matter what church it is....It just brings out the best in folks."

Usually, your best friends are those who have the same values and interests as you do. You can find friends if you do what you want with others who share these interests. Church goers are no better than anyone else - it's just that often they think they are. Like any human being, they can be narrowminded and unfriendly if you don't happen to agree with their view of the world.

[Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 12-03-2010 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: New users cannot post links.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:56 PM

72 posts, read 142,215 times
Assuming that you already have U.S. Citizenship here would be the following steps that you should follow:

1. Get a Social Security Card since you will need it for various things including housing and credit. Heres a link Social Security Number and Card and the office location of the nearest location 514 Jenson Ave SE, Watertown -(605) 886-8284
2. Apply for housing, they also help you receive low income housing. Heres a link to help you:
Watertown Housing Authority
3. Apply for a job. Heres a link to help you: http://dol.sd.gov/
4. Get childcare for your child, this is for subsidized childcare. Heres a link Child Care Subsidy Program
5. Your child will probably need to be an American Citizen for later in life and you said that shes about to be one? Just in case heres the nearest German Embassy to Watertown, SD, its in Chicago, Illinois here the contact info and link: Suite 3200, 676 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL
(312) 202-0480 ‎https://service2.diplo.de/elefandextern/registration.do (broken link)

I hope this helps you

*Mods all the links are to Federal Government Websites or State/Local Websites i.e. .gov, .org*

Last edited by ManyStates; 12-01-2010 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: Fixed Consulate Link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota