Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:19 AM

209 posts, read 820,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
A hurricane like Hugo comes rarely; make sure you're at least 25 feet above sea level and you don't buy a home on a barrier island and you should be ok. Also make sure any large trees are far enough from your home that they won't fall on it. There is still potential for wind damage, but if you avoid areas that will flood, our chances for damage are much less.

Please correct me if I am wrong but all the homes I looked at in Mount Pleasant and West Ashley (Newer developments) were between 6 and 12 feet above sea level. (according to my GPS navigator)

Can you tell me where I can find a home 25 feet above sea level in the Charleston greater area? I would definately be interested in looking at homes there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 11:56 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,578,833 times
I'm sure there are some parts of both Mt. Pleasant and West Ashley that are at higher elevations, but you would need to go a little further inland to find higher elevations completely away from storm surge threats. I've posted some info below. The storm surge map shows you how vulnerable the Charleston area could be during a category 3 or worse hurricane. Keep in mind, though, that the map refers to that level hurricane in that particukar spot - the entire area won't see category 5, 4, 3, etc. winds during a storm, just some locations.

Here is some info on Mt. Pleasant's elevation:
The Town of Mount Pleasant Online (http://townofmountpleasant.com/index.cfm?section=14&page=2&mesg=art426.28501 - broken link)

http://www.csc.noaa.gov/products/sccoasts/html/images/slosh1.gif (broken link)

Old 08-18-2014, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,064 times
I just moved to berkley area of sc . I'm terrified of the huricanes and earthquakes her. Everyone keeps telling me we don't get them often or that bad . Is this true?

Old 08-18-2014, 10:23 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,462,840 times
I think about them every fall, but not really. The last "big" one was 1989. And Charleston is more advanced now than then. We dont have to worry about the bridge collapsing, I-26 has been upgraded to handle more traffic, etc. only problem is more residents and more things to flood. But im not worried. We're very lucky compared to the Gulf Coast and Florida. This is a resilient city, I think we're okay for a while.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:24 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,323,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikli2 View Post
I just moved to berkley area of sc . I'm terrified of the huricanes and earthquakes her. Everyone keeps telling me we don't get them often or that bad . Is this true?
The earthquakes you will barely feel. The last one I felt it just sounded like a large truck driving by. Sure, there was a big one over 100 years ago, but those are rare.

With hurricanes, you'll have plenty of notice and more duds than not. Being in Berkeley County, you're up from the coast. But those that have been here longer can really give you the best insight here.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:53 PM

2,316 posts, read 2,966,368 times
I don't think we've been hit directly by a TS or hurricane in about a decade.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:03 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,545,223 times
Yes, it was a concern when we were deciding where to move to from Chicago. As we got older we were unprepared for winter and decided that we would be unprepared to deal with hurricanes as well. We moved 3 hours north of the coast. I hear that this area was not bypassed by Hugo but I'm fairly certain it was much worse at the coast. We don't have the ability to board up and live without power or water for days or weeks. People would need to help us and without family, well it would not have been a smart move for us. We like it here!

Old 08-18-2014, 06:16 PM

243 posts, read 283,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikli2 View Post

I've lived in Berkeley Co. my entire life except when I was in college, I think I remember 3 in my lifetime (I'm 27), including Hugo (granted I don't exactly remember Hugo as it came through about a week before my 3rd birthday). The others didn't really do a lot other than dump some rain and knock some limbs down. I vaguely remember some of the damage from Hugo (a big stack of trees that used to sit in my grandfathers yard that had fallen during the storm. From the stories I have heard my dad, grandfathers and uncle pretty much had to cut their way through the neighborhood we live in because no one could get in or out due to all the trees in the road (but we do live in a very rural part of the county). I think my parents said we were without power for a couple hours shy of 3 or 4 weeks.

For the record I have never felt an earthquake here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina