Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 08:18 PM

8 posts, read 17,036 times

Advertisements

There has only been one time that I remember in the past 13 years when a hurricane forced several hundred people to North Augusta because of a hurricane. I'm wondering where you would go (or try to go) in the event of an evacuation on the coast. Do you have a plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 08:51 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
This is a very timely thread with the height of hurricane season only about 2 months away. It has been 19 years now since South Carolina has taken a full hit from a hurricane. We are almost certainly due for another 'cane in the near future.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:50 AM

330 posts, read 1,196,768 times
North.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:02 AM

330 posts, read 1,196,768 times
All joking aside, this is one of the reasons I moved to Summerville and not Mt Pleasant or one of the islands.

I have absolutely no personal experience with hurricanes. And I've watched from afar as my in-laws have dealt with the devastating effects in West Palm Beach, Florida over the last few years. I really fear them.

In short, I'll evacuate even though I am 27 miles from the coast. I'll head to Columbia.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:23 PM

543 posts, read 2,363,861 times
I do not really have a plan yet. I understand the effects have on the coast but I also know that they can cause major damage inland.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:13 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,387 times
Usually South Carolina is in the position for rain, rain, and more rain when it comes to hurricanes. Despite the plethora of tornadoes and lightning, the rain is usually welcomed with open arms. Now if you're in the Low Country then you should expect to see more of the hurricane's power as opposed to being in the sand hills or Upstate.

During hurricane evacuations, most people head towards Columbia, North Augusta, and sometimes Charlotte. Naturally hotels fill up pretty fast in these areas, so I would recommend moving even further inland, maybe Greenville/Spartanburg, perhaps even Atlanta.

There are hurricane evacuation routes in place all over the state; Including several alternate routes, and not just the Interstate. There is even an AM station reserved for hurricane weather announcements, and/or reports of congestion on evacuation routes. The first evacuation can be a rough one for newbies, but eventually you'll get it figured out. Suffice to say, South Carolinians are quite prepared for anything mother nature throws at us

http://www.dot.state.sc.us/getting/pdfs/StateEvacCO.PDF

Old 09-25-2008, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,663 times
Default Hurricanes

I know a lot of people that have Hurricane Houses in the North AUgusta, SC area. Several bought through your firm, Olde South Realty, and loved it. One couple from Hilton Head bought a house next to the Country Club. They go there couple times of year but love the area. When Floyd hit the southern coast a lot of people went inland. It seems safer along the Savannah River Basin. The storms seem to stay right above that area. Cool topic!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina