Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 07:44 PM

486 posts, read 996,465 times

Advertisements

Been enjoying this forum and would appreciate some information. My family would like to move from Long Island, New York, to South Carolina.Too stressful here. We want to be near the coast but not so close that we have to worry about hurricanes. We are looking for towns with nice people, good schools and low crime rates. We have looked into a small town called Johnsonville, with a new community being built called Persimmon Fields. We have not been to South Carolina yet, but plan a trip this fall. Any ideas about Johnsonville or other areas we might like?

Last edited by Barbara; 05-23-2006 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2006, 10:53 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Barbara, I would visit johnsonville before you move. Long Island is a different planet compared to the area you're talking about. Not that it's a bad area, but look at some statistics. I don't know a whole lot about long island, I'll just assume you're from Suffolk County.

Household median income
Suffolk County, NY - $65,228
Florence County, SC - $35,144
(3 miles from Johnsonville) Williamsburg County, SC - $24,214

% of population Below Poverty line
Suffolk - 6%
Florence - 16.4%
Williamsburg - 27.9%

Something to think about.

This isn't just for you, but for other people who've been asking about "being in hurricane region".

Johnsonville is about 30 miles inland. For example: Hurricane Hugo (1989) was a Category 5. My grandfather's house on Lake Marion, which is about 60 miles inland, had the roof torn off the house. Most people on the lake lost their boats. I was in Dalzell, SC, which is about 110 miles inland. We lost 3 Oak trees (out of 5) and lost power and water for a few weeks. Hugo traveled 175 miles to charlotte, and hit it with ~100mph winds.

Point is, if you live within roughly 150 miles of the coast, you are at some sort of risk. If you live within 50 miles of the coast, you can definitely call that a "hurricane zone". if you're right on the coast, well, you know it because of your insurance costs!

Good luck
-Anon

Old 06-18-2006, 07:35 AM
KMT

80 posts, read 355,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara
Been enjoying this forum and would appreciate some information. My family would like to move from Long Island, New York, to South Carolina.Too stressful here. We want to be near the coast but not so close that we have to worry about hurricanes. We are looking for towns with nice people, good schools and low crime rates. We have looked into a small town called Johnsonville, with a new community being built called Persimmon Fields. We have not been to South Carolina yet, but plan a trip this fall. Any ideas about Johnsonville or other areas we might like?

Unfortunately you cannot live near the coast and not have to worry about hurricanes. I currently live in Florida on the South East coast (17 years).

We are currently less than 8 miles from the ocean. Since September 2004 our area has endured three hurricanes...Frances, Jeanne, and Wilma.

Frances and Jeanne were direct hits and Wilma took us all by suprise as it traveled north and east over our area and re-strengthened over the Atlantic.

I looked up Johnsonville on the map and judging by its distance from the ocean, I think you will definately feel hurricane winds at their fullest strength.

The only relief you get farther inland is from storm surge that may occur. Not sure what the elevation is there, but the river to the north (Lynches Great Pee Dee?) may rise and the area may experience some flooding.

Not trying to be a downer or sound like an expert...just pointing out some things to consider.

Keith

Old 06-18-2006, 12:20 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,879,762 times
We live in NJ and are thinking about making a move to SC as well. The area we are looking at is called Carolina Forest, about 10 minutes from Myrtle Beach. I worry about hurricanes also - even with Hugo we got it in NJ not as bad.

Good luck with your decision it is very hard to make the decision.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 19,428 times
Default Johnsonville

I relocated from Michigan to Florence County. What a great move. People are friendly, great quality of life. Johnsonville is in Southern Florence County. Small town, not much there but close to the cities of Charleston and Myrtle Beach. Excellent School system. Florence is the county seat and growing rapidly. Come down and I'll give you the grand tour. You'll be sold. I work with the economic development office.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:06 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. I have been spending lots of time looking into towns in South Carolina on the internet, but I guess you can't really tell until you visit the areas and see it first hand. Still looking at the new Persimmon fields community in Johnsonville. Don't mind the small town part, I heard some good things about the schools there but still trying to find out more about the crime rates. Also thinking about Tega Cay and the Fort Mill areas. I've heard nothing but great things about those places, but they are quite far from the shore and living on Long Island our whole lives, I don't know how different living by a lake would be from living by the shore. It might be great. Also, it seems that so many people are looking at the Carolinas to move their families to that all these places may be very different in just a few years.

This is a great forum and everyones advice and opinions have been such a big help to me and all the others who have had questions. I just want to say thanks.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:34 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara
Thanks everyone for your input. I have been spending lots of time looking into towns in South Carolina on the internet, but I guess you can't really tell until you visit the areas and see it first hand. Still looking at the new Persimmon fields community in Johnsonville. Don't mind the small town part, I heard some good things about the schools there but still trying to find out more about the crime rates. Also thinking about Tega Cay and the Fort Mill areas. I've heard nothing but great things about those places, but they are quite far from the shore and living on Long Island our whole lives, I don't know how different living by a lake would be from living by the shore. It might be great. Also, it seems that so many people are looking at the Carolinas to move their families to that all these places may be very different in just a few years.

This is a great forum and everyones advice and opinions have been such a big help to me and all the others who have had questions. I just want to say thanks.
Hey there Barbara...coming from Southern CA (living apx. 4 miles to the beach) that was my biggest concern...I needed to be close to some form of water...luckily the lake (Lake Wylie) seems to fit the bill quite nicely...and if needed I can still drive to the coast within 3 hours. Continued good luck with your ongoing search!

Old 06-27-2006, 07:07 AM

191 posts, read 1,001,778 times
Barbara
I was born and raised on LI (Port Jefferson Sta) now live in Pittsburgh and we are looking to move to NC or SC. We do miss the water on LI (nothing but dirty rivers here in the Burgh) so we are looking at Tega Cay area in SC. Has to have a good school ( kids ages 11& 12) and we are looking for some elbow room away from the city - but - still have to close to Charlotte airport where my husband works. I'm just looking forward to seeing some water.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:58 AM

Donna
Good luck with your move! There is so much to think about when picking a place to live. Now it has come to my attention that South Carolina has a lot of atomic power plants. I know I don't want to live near one of those. On the plus side though, is the cost of living, climate, nice people. Im sure that when all the research is done it will be a positive move. This seems like a very positive forum which helps a lot.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:46 PM

10 posts, read 59,830 times
I just moved here from the Cocoa Beach area of Florida. I was sick and tired of the hurricanes. I live in Conway, which is 25 miles west of Myrtle Beach and is currently undergoing a huge developement. Anything and everything you could want, yet close enough to go to the beach, and still inland as far as not taking a direct hit from a hurricane.
I love it here, and it was the best move I have ever made.
Good Luck in your move.
There are many brand new developments going up with very reasonable home prices.
This place is a jewel.
You may want to check out the city of conway, sc website. That is how I got to know my new hometown city.
You are more than welcome to email me and ask me any questions. I also have a friend buying here from Florida also. She came and visited for 5 days and now is getting ready to put her own home on the market and move here. It is a city in the country.

Last edited by appleblossom; 07-03-2006 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina