Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 05:32 AM

20 posts, read 113,797 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been talking about moving from our hometown near Pittsburgh for 4 years. He is a dentist and would need to buy a practice or start one. We are looking to relocate for many reasons but one is to experience better weather and live in an area were there is lots to do. We have been vacationing in HHI for years and although I wouldn't want to live on the Island the area seems nice and is close to Savannah, Beaufort, and Charleston. The drive to Disney is appealing. We have never lived anywhere else so I'm scared that at 39 I'm a victim of the grass seeming greener on the other side. We haven't settled on Bluffton yet. We are also thinking about Greenville. It sounds great! However being landlocked all of these years the coast is appealing. Any thoughts on good and bad on either location?:
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 06:14 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,076 times
Do lots and lots of research and come visit several times before you do. I lived in Pittsburgh for four years and didn't have any trouble adjusting to Pitt from here. Now I am back in SC.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:34 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,254 times
As you probably know, you have chosen two very different areas in terms of surroundings, size, etc. I can speak more from the Greenville perspective, as I am from there and love it. I currently live in Charleston for grad school and can speak somewhat to the Lowcountry, although I have no direct experience with Bluffton.

Greenville is great. Seriously, just about everyone loves it. Very "New South." It is nestled at the base of the mountains, which give you great views. You have four distinct seasons, and get to experience plenty of warm weather, leaves changing, and even a few episodes of snow/ice each winter. It is a growing mid-sized metro. The Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson MSA had 962,000 people as of the last census (2000), and that number is certainly over 1 million now. You have a nice mix of natives as well as people from elsewhere - Northeast, Florida, Midwest, and a surprising number from overseas. The presence of many international companies in Greenville contributes to the workforce and diversity in a very positive way.

Greenville's downtown area has undergone an amazing renaissance over the last 20-30 years. What was once a run-down area in decay is now a great pedestrian experience that mixes business, retail, dining, theaters, and residential. The city is very proactive with regard to festivals and events downtown. If you're into the arts, you will love some of the performing arts venues and performances in the downtown parks. The restaurants are excellent and provide just about any cuisine you have a taste for. The great thing about the area is how clean it is. Perhaps that is why people seem so happy and friendly, despite all the activity going on around them.

The quality of life is very high. Taxes are low, traffic is very manageable for a metro this size, and the area is growing at a healthy rate. In fact, it was chosen as one of the best places to weather the recession. Upstate leaders have realized that knowledge-based jobs are the key to future economic success, and have worked hard to be innovative and very pro-business. Although there is a lot to do in Greenville, it provides a nice hub when you want to get away. The Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport has more than 100 flights a day to many destinations. The mountains are a 30-45 minute drive. Atlanta and Charlotte are each about two hours away by car. The beach is about four hours away.

Bluffton is much smaller than Greenville. Located in the South Carolina Lowcountry, it provides a coastal, small town feel that pays homage to the rural plantation past of the South Carolina Lowcountry. It is close to Hilton Head and Savannah, and within a couple of hours of Charleston too. Perhaps someone who has lived extensively in Bluffton can comment on what it has to offer. I suppose it comes down to whether you want a growing mid-sized "New South" city in the Upstate or a smaller "Old South" town in the Lowcountry. Both have great, but very different, things to offer.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:14 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Greenville does sound amazing! We hope to get there in the next couple of weeks to explore.

Good luck in Grad School!

Old 04-09-2009, 05:19 AM

Thanks for your response. Where do you live in SC? I feel like there is more research I need to do, but I'm not sure where.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:49 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof03 View Post
Thanks for your response. Where do you live in SC? I feel like there is more research I need to do, but I'm not sure where.
I currently live in Charleston, but would much prefer to live in Greenville. There's no comparison if you ask me.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:11 PM

915 posts, read 2,423,815 times
Everyone's input thus far has been great. I wanted to let you know that I moved to Greenville from Pittsburgh in 2002, and haven't regretted it for a single day. Don't get me wrong, I love Pittsburgh, and I was actually up there about 3 weeks ago. However, I must admit, a huge smile came to my face when I passed the "Welcome to South Carolina" sign on the way back.

One important fact to keep in mind is that the median price of a single-family home is 46% higher in Bluffton compared to Greenville.

PS - On any given day, just add 15 degrees to the temperature in Pittsburgh, and you've got Greenville. Also, gray skies in Greenville are few and far between. Pittsburgh on the other hand...not so much.

Last edited by ckeegan; 04-09-2009 at 02:22 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 08:08 AM

Pittsburgh is nice. It's funny though how many people transplant to SC. Life's too short to wonder what it would be like to live in a place with lots to do and where the sun shines! LOL! Thanks for the input!!

Old 04-10-2009, 08:44 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I currently live in Charleston, but would much prefer to live in Greenville. There's no comparison if you ask me.
Agreed. I've been to Charleston numerous times and can't see what the hype is. It's nice to visit once and while but I sure wouldn't want to live there. I find downtown Greenville to be nicer than downtown Charleston. There's actually trees with shade here.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:10 PM

915 posts, read 2,423,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof03 View Post
Pittsburgh is nice. It's funny though how many people transplant to SC.
You have no idea. Go to Bailley's on Laurens Rd in Greenville during any Steelers game, and you'll be amazed by the amount of black and gold. Honestly, I would easily estimate 100 fans for any game, and that number easily hits 150 if it's not televised around here.

Since Quaker Steak opened in October, their Steelers crowd has been pretty strong too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina