Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 01:49 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Uptown Market does not count as a grocery store.
Quote:
Harvey's Supermarket is a supermarket. Save-A-Lot is a limited assortment/discount grocer.
Goodness, let's not be so "anal" about this! When I first moved here I would've REALLY appreciated info on all kinds of places that sold food and "sundries", regardless. I've really never been to the Uptown Market because of my ever-changingsleeping hours (and forgetting) but I think I've visited almost all the ones mentioned. I'm always on the lookout for more options to shop, especially where I can save $$, my greatest gripe about having moved here is that I often have to make a lot of stops to be able to find something and sometimes can't at all, so then I need to go back to Greenville (where I lived before) to stock up, so the more the merrier. Therefore, if your purpose is to be helpful to "newbies" please don't get hung up on a strict classification, some of us don't really care whether it's a "grocery store" or not as long as they sell what we need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 03:03 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,872,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
It seems like they are using a rebranding strategy to stimulate sales at poor performing Bi-Lo stores. Same company, different name. Not sure how successful this attempt may be. It is also being tried at a former Bi-Lo location in Charlotte, now rebranded Harvey's.
Thank you! Rep to you.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:58 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Goodness, let's not be so "anal" about this! When I first moved here I would've REALLY appreciated info on all kinds of places that sold food and "sundries", regardless. I've really never been to the Uptown Market because of my ever-changing sleeping hours (and forgetting) but I think I've visited almost all the ones mentioned. I'm always on the lookout for more options to shop, especially where I can save $$, my greatest gripe about having moved here is that I often have to make a lot of stops to be able to find something and sometimes can't at all, so then I need to go back to Greenville (where I lived before) to stock up, so the more the merrier. Therefore, if your purpose is to be helpful to "newbies" please don't get hung up on a strict classification, some of us don't really care whether it's a "grocery store" or not as long as they sell what we need.
Instead of you getting hung up on the various grocery stores in the Greenwood area, it is advisable to research what type of groceries stores are in the area, research what open air markets are in the area, and ask where you can find specific products like sundries in the area.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:00 AM

Default Harvey's Supermarket #1681, 712 Bypass 25 Northeast, Greenwood, South Carolina 29646-3030

BI-LO #5555 has reopened as Harvey's Supermarket #1681.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:30 AM

These are the grocery stores in Greenwood County, South Carolina, as of Sunday, 20 August 2017:

Supermarket
  • Bi-Lo (2 stores): Greenwood
  • Food Lion (2 stores): Greenwood
  • Harvey's Supermarket (1 store): Greenwood
  • Piggly Wiggly (3 stores): Greenwood (Price Wise Foods), Ninety Six, Ware Shoals
  • Publix (1 store): Greenwood
Hypermarket
  • Walmart Supercenter (2 stores): Greenwood
Limited assortment/discount grocer
  • Aldi (1 store): Greenwood
  • Save-A-Lot (1 store): Greenwood

Old 08-24-2017, 02:22 PM

696 posts, read 1,334,906 times
Lidl is scheduled to open its Greenwood location on Sept 7th according to the Index-Journal.

Lidl to open Greenwood store Sept. 7 | Breaking | indexjournal.com

Old 08-27-2017, 10:34 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,048,899 times
Quote:
BI-LO #5555 has reopened as Harvey's Supermarket #1681.
SEG's answer to declining market share is attempt to lower shoppers expectations. They are a dying company.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:03 AM

Default Harvey's Supermarket #1681, 712 Bypass 25 Northeast, Greenwood, South Carolina 29646-3030

Lowering standards and expectations usually results in lower sales, less customers, closed stores, and more problems.

I do not know how Harvey's Supermarket #1681 is doing.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:14 AM

Does anyone know if supermarket Ingle's had any stores in Greenwood County?

I think one possible store was Price Wise Foods #82, Abney Plaza, 1160 Main Street South, Greenwood, South Carolina 29646-3827. An initial clue would be green concrete sidewalks in front of older Ingle's stores. Additional clues would be tray ceilings and green symmetrical diagonally-striped floors.

Ingle's has stores in adjacent Abbeville and Laurens counties and had a store in adjacent Saluda County.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:54 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Does anyone know if supermarket Ingle's had any stores in Greenwood County?

I think one possible store was Price Wise Foods #82, Abney Plaza, 1160 Main Street South, Greenwood, South Carolina 29646-3827. An initial clue would be green concrete sidewalks in front of older Ingle's stores. Additional clues would be tray ceilings and green symmetrical diagonally-striped floors.

Ingle's has stores in adjacent Abbeville and Laurens counties and had a store in adjacent Saluda County.
I'm pretty sure Ingles has never had a store in Greenwood. That Price Wise was Piggly Wiggly at one time and may have originally been Winn Dixie. Winn Dixie had a newer store in the 80's on S Main where the Library I believe stands now before they moved further out to a new Marketplace store that is now Food Lion.

Last edited by vistatiger; 08-30-2017 at 07:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina