Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 04:19 AM

106 posts, read 198,381 times

Advertisements

When are we going to get a Soccer tab up top?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 06:01 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,561,558 times
Go Barça

Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,525,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Not only is it foolish to let teams from Scotland play in an English league for the above reasons but then you are inviting two teams with a huge scumbag element of supporters when the EPL needs it the least.
So youre calling me "scum" because I follow Rangers? And if you think the Rangers and Celtic have "scum" fans, WHO WAS BANNED FROM EUROPEAN COMPETITION FOR 5 YEARS BECAUSE OF HOOLIGANISM??? Does Heysel Stadium ring a bell?!?!?!? What happens between a few Celtic and Rangers fan goes ALOT deeper than "oh, lets just fight to fight" like English teams do. There is sectarianism that, sad as it is, has been around for hundreds of years. English hooligans have done FAR MORE damage to the sport than anything Rangers or Celtic have. Sit and ponder that for a few and then talk to me when you want to make some sense. And what difference does it make that theyre Scottish teams? Theyre part of the UK are they not?!?! You just have some kind of grudge against Rangers and Celtic while completely ignoring the complete CRAP that English fans have pulled over many years.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:20 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,937,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
So youre calling me "scum" because I follow Rangers? And if you think the Rangers and Celtic have "scum" fans, WHO WAS BANNED FROM EUROPEAN COMPETITION FOR 5 YEARS BECAUSE OF HOOLIGANISM??? Does Heysel Stadium ring a bell?!?!?!? What happens between a few Celtic and Rangers fan goes ALOT deeper than "oh, lets just fight to fight" like English teams do. There is sectarianism that, sad as it is, has been around for hundreds of years. English hooligans have done FAR MORE damage to the sport than anything Rangers or Celtic have. Sit and ponder that for a few and then talk to me when you want to make some sense. And what difference does it make that theyre Scottish teams? Theyre part of the UK are they not?!?! You just have some kind of grudge against Rangers and Celtic while completely ignoring the complete CRAP that English fans have pulled over many years.
He obviously wasnt calling you scum.

The fact remains that those two clubs have a ridiculous amount of hooliganism still going on is a very valid concern. I know the reasons run deep, but that doesnt really change anything.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:21 AM

Still, English hooligans usually behave a lot worse when their teams are playing around the continent. We've had both Celtic and Rangers fans coming to Barcelona recently and they were extremely polite to locals.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
Still, English hooligans usually behave a lot worse when their teams are playing around the continent. We've had both Celtic and Rangers fans coming to Barcelona recently and they were extremely polite to locals.
Well, thats great. But that has nothing to do with the prem. league.

Celtic hasnt played barca for quite a long time. Just because a few of their fans have visited says nothing about how they behave on match day.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:02 AM

Celtic played Barça last year (I was referring to that visit). And I was merely pointing out that for all their current good attitude back home, English hooligans exist and still get in trouble overseas (fortunately much less than they used to).

Last edited by noela; 05-08-2009 at 07:13 AM..

Old 05-08-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
Celtic played Barça last year (I was referring to that visit). And I was merely pointing out that for all their current good attitude back home, English hooligans exist and still get in trouble overseas (fortunately much less than they used to).
I just looked at Celtic's fixtures from the last 10 years and didnt see Barca. Do you know the date they played on.

If im wrong, my apologies. Was this a friendly or a Champions League match?

Edit:

Im sorry, you are correct, I see where I missed it.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:23 AM

Don't worry. I had to check twice myself lol

BTW, I would like to add that I know most English fans aren't that way (I know there's a lot of prejudice). When I lived in London, I had the chance to go see Arsenal and Liverpool play and it was great. Most football teams and football-loving nations have to deal with their share of hooliganism. I'm only saying I'm surprised about Scottish hooligans since they were getting along very well with local fans around here, but of course I can't claim to know much about their own League.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:16 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,525,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
He obviously wasnt calling you scum.

The fact remains that those two clubs have a ridiculous amount of hooliganism still going on is a very valid concern. I know the reasons run deep, but that doesnt really change anything.
As most people, you obviously dont know Rangers nor Celtic very well, and Im cool with that. However, its not so much "hooliganism" as it is cultural/religious problems. Hooligans travel in packs and fight anyone and anything just for the simple joy of fighting. The Rangers/Celtic battles go far deeper than just wanting to fight. Its sad, and is slowly changing (thank GOD!) for the better. Both Celtic Park and Ibrox have banned sectarian chants/songs, but some knuckleheads still do it (and subsequently face arrest).

And as much as I dont like to say it, Celtic fans have been given awards in the past for their good behavior (away from Celtic Park), unlike Rangers.

With that being said Ill leave you all with the following: "Follow, follow, we will follow Rangers! Everywhere, anywhere, we will follow on. Follow, follow, we will follow Rangers! If they go to Dublin we will follow on! For there no other team like the Glasgow Rangers. No not one, and there never shall be one! Celtic know all about their troubles, we will fight till the day is done! For theres no other team like the Glasgow Rangers! No not one, and there never shall be one!"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer