Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 09:19 PM

715 posts, read 1,670,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Hey, I'm very disappointed that no one here has mentioned team USA taking Mexico to school in the Gold Cup final. C'mon now, USA 2, Mexico 1. USA has been Mexico's daddy since 2000. And that second goal was BEAUTIFUL! That should have been on Sport Center more but as ya'll know soccer gets no respect in the US.
it was a great, great goal. he caught it in mid-air...the ball didn't even bounce. the win over Mexico was impressive seeing as how they shut out Brazil this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 12:27 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,063,422 times
Yeah but they got blown out by Argentina! I guess I spoke too soon, hopefully they'll bounce back and play well on Monday.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:31 PM

468 posts, read 1,637,824 times
Barcelona is my favorite team (now with Henry, no team can beat them as my favorites), followed by Inter, Juve and River.

Argentina is my favorite national team. I used to support the Dutch until the generation of players I adored (Kluivert, Davids, Overmars, Stam, Bergkamp, etc) moved on.

My favorite players include Cambiasso of Inter, Aimar of Zaragoza, Messi of Barcelona.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:15 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,891 times
I love football. I primarily watch EPL and am a huge Arsenal supporter. We get GolTV, FSC, and Setenta just so I can catch games.

I also watch quite a bit of Eredivisie because my hubby is Dutch and whenever we go to Holland, we try to catch PSV games. 2 trips ago, we went to a PSV-Bourdeaux CL game. It was amazing to be at that game.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:25 PM

51 posts, read 129,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nl2134 View Post
Barcelona is my favorite team (now with Henry, no team can beat them as my favorites), followed by Inter, Juve and River.

Argentina is my favorite national team. I used to support the Dutch until the generation of players I adored (Kluivert, Davids, Overmars, Stam, Bergkamp, etc) moved on.

My favorite players include Cambiasso of Inter, Aimar of Zaragoza, Messi of Barcelona.
I don't really get Barca's signing of Henry. I don't think Barca with Henry up front is any better than with Samuel Eto'o up front . Unless they plan to move Eto'o or he isn't fit the move doesn't really make sense. I think their weakness is in the midfield. Of course when you say weakness when referring to that team it's all relative, so I guess I should say their need is in midfield because they don't have a weakness per se.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:35 PM

Speaking of transfers Bayern Munich seems to me to be team that nailed it as far as improving their squad with Miroslav Klose, Luca Toni, Franck Ribery and Zé Roberto. I'm glad they're not in the Champions League this season. They will dominate the Bundesliga.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:13 PM

I definetly agree they have issues in their midfield. Xavi's a good holding midfielder but they seem to continuously play him out of position, Motta's leaving, and while they signed Yaya Toure, I feel as if he's just another Xavi. They really have no true midfielders except for Iniesta, since I always see Deco playing behind the two strikers, Ronaldinho and Giuly playing up front, and whatnot. I'd like to see Ronaldinho play behind Eto'o and Henry up front, move Deco, Iniesta, Yaya/Xavi to the midfield, and keep the back four the same. But, it won't happen...Ronaldinho's gonna stay as a forward for awhile.

Bayern has made some good transfers, but man, I can't believe they let Makaay go. He was one of my favorites also, one of the truly underrated players in the world, in my opinion. Never really got a chance with the Dutch national team (with van Gaal and now with the younger generation of van Basten), and now, he's back at Feyenoord. Oh well.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:30 PM

The Dutch held out hope for far too long that Patrick Kluivert would be one of the great internationals. I think that's what kept Makaay out of team. Big mistake I think.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:33 PM

I mean, Kluivert was such a great player at Barcelona when he was under van Gaal. But once the Dutch revolution ended at Barca and Serra Ferrer took over, Kluivert started having second thoughts, and thats when he started slipping, bigtime. Then when he orchestrated his move BACK to La Liga, he really got did in. His fall from grace is unbelievable, and I hate to see it, because I really think he could still be at the top of his game right now. Makaay isn't the sexiest at scoring, or doesn't have the most sublime moves, but he gets the work done, which is why I enjoy watching him so much.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:51 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,891 times
The Dutch kept out someone like Makaay while continuing to play Kluivert because they have had a strong Ajax bias for awhile. Anyone associated with Ajax will always have a better chance of getting a caps than talented players who went through different youth systems. Same reason why Ruud didn't get as many caps as he should have. He had the misfortune of being PSV and not Ajax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer