Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 05:10 AM

1,543 posts, read 869,513 times

Advertisements

Epic shootout. Longest in history of World Cup-either gender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2023, 05:30 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Epic shootout..
Yup.. Australia defeats the French (colonial) team on penalty kicks.

Old 08-12-2023, 06:26 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Epic shootout. Longest in history of World Cup-either gender.
I see 7-6. That’s the record? I saw the Rovers get 11 straight against West Ham in cup play last year. The Hammers GK sailed his miles over the crossbar. I’m amazed that 7 PK is a record.

Old 08-12-2023, 10:31 AM

863 posts, read 866,446 times
Great World Cup this year! The upsets and close games have made this one a lot of fun to watch no matter who you want to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
It is all part of the RW war on sports. The RW media that are not even part of the sports media hate the fact that most of America's athletes male or female all sports are becoming more culturally progressive.
No, most Americans just want America's athletes to focus on playing sports and not lecture them about unrelated things. I've found this to be true regardless of political leanings. Same goes for actors/actresses. I don't want to hear Mel Gibson's rants anymore than I want to hear Rapinoe.

I really think the USWNT would have performed better in the World Cup had they practiced together more and spent less time on politics and making commercials.

Old 08-12-2023, 11:31 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
Great World Cup this year! The upsets and close games have made this one a lot of fun to watch no matter who you want to win.

No, most Americans just want America's athletes to focus on playing sports and not lecture them about unrelated things. I've found this to be true regardless of political leanings. Same goes for actors/actresses. I don't want to hear Mel Gibson's rants anymore than I want to hear Rapinoe.

I really think the USWNT would have performed better in the World Cup had they practiced together more and spent less time on politics and making commercials.
I think what you posted is a given. You're very right in that, when it comes to sports, fans don't want to hear about player's politics no matter what side it comes from. It's time for this soccer program to take a good look at themselves. Their joyless, self-serving attitude has polarized our country against them. It wouldn't take much on the NEW team's part to get the country behind them once again.

Old 08-12-2023, 01:15 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,298,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post

However it was the RW media that made a big deal out of the girls "not singing the NA" when the fact of the matter is most US athletes (all sports) do not sing it. Only Baseball players consistently place their hand over heart.
There was nothing inappropriate with the way the girls conducted themselves during the playing of the NA during this current WC.

Old 08-13-2023, 02:17 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,518,441 times
Massive amount of excitement here after last night’s games. Playing our traditional rival, England, in the semi on Wednesday.
I love seeing the multi-cultural faces of our fans, it really is bringing the community together and already the boost to the economy is greater than anticipated.

Old 08-13-2023, 02:45 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
Quote:
Who do you think is going to win?

Going into the tournament my top 5 (not in any particular order) would have been: US, Germany, England, France & Japan.
Heading into the knockout rounds with Germany getting knocked out, I actually had Japan as a solid favorite based on their dismantling of Spain with England & France next up, Spain joining the foray with the US least likely of 5 I had.
Heading into the quarters Japan and France were my 2 favorites, Spain jumped England because of James' suspension and Australia were my new 5 favorites.

I think the England/Australia winner ends up beating whoever comes out of Sweden/Spain. Spain's Alexia Putellas is probably going to be the most prolific scorer out there, but on the other side you'd have the home standing Matilda's who have never made it this far in any major tournament men or women, and assuming she's fit by then have one of the games most attacking forwards in Sam Kerr looking to go out with a bang, and that would be the perfect narrative to write. If England survives, they would habe survived 2 games without James, 2 subpar games, and have probably the best coach in Sarina Wiegman.

I say Spain beats Sweden 2-0; Kerr comes on as a second half replacement, scores the tying goal to get to extra time, but the Lioness win in extra time via a 2-1 count, and than England beats Spain in the final 3-1.

Old 08-13-2023, 06:52 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Massive amount of excitement here after last night’s games. Playing our traditional rival, England, in the semi on Wednesday.
I love seeing the multi-cultural faces of our fans, it really is bringing the community together and already the boost to the economy is greater than anticipated.
Does the winner get The Ashes?

Old 08-13-2023, 08:36 AM

1,543 posts, read 869,513 times
I'm banking on Swedes to win the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer