Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 08:11 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,779,716 times

Advertisements

I was interested until the pre-game broadcast of U.S. vs. Australia showed one of the American players with her "partner". Why can't people keep their private lives private?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 07:37 AM

17,029 posts, read 31,042,183 times
Local sports bar had the WWC on the big screen Friday...and they played to a 0-0 draw. Talk about crapping the bed.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:10 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,652,601 times
Incredibly, a #28 world-ranked Columbia team upsets #3 ranked France 2-0! France was basically loaded with excellent professional players, and Columbia was mostly cobbled together with non-pro athletes. Ouch!

Old 06-15-2015, 12:26 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,331,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
I was interested until the pre-game broadcast of U.S. vs. Australia showed one of the American players with her "partner". Why can't people keep their private lives private?
Because the pre-game is usually about the players, their personal lives, and the lead up to the cup.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:01 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,578,970 times
So heading into the final day of group play these 2 third place teams have already advanced no matter what happens:
Netherlands who has advanced because they have 4 points, and Switzerland who is in front of the pack of the teams with 3 points because of their goal differential (+9). Like Switzerland, because of Thailand's poor GD (-7) they are eliminated. Sweden, the #5 team who has played 3 draws look to be relatively safe: they need Costa Rica to beat Brazil, have a winner in the Spain South Korea game (1 team must get 3 points) AND have Colombia/England play to a draw. In that case the 3rd place finishers advancing would be: Netherlands (4 points), the third place team out of Group F with 4 points: England (if France wins)/France (if they draw Mexico)/Mexico (if they beat France), the winner of South Korea/Spain (who would have 4 points in that scenario) and then Switzerland who would have the tiebreaker over Sweden & Thailand because of the superior goal differential.
Also tomorrow Costa Rica is in a weird spot. They can finish with a draw and not advance, but they can also lose by 1 and finish second in the group. A Costa Rica draw coupled with a winner in Spain/South Korea would drop Costa Rica to 3rd, then Costa Rica would fall behind Switzerland in GD and possibly Sweden as well (I think next tiebreaker after GD is total goals scored). if Costa Rica loses by 1 AND South Korea/Spain game ends in a draw, Costa Rica finishes second based on goal differential.
Colombia out of Group F is through no matter what. A loss by France would not only eliminate them, but they'd finish last in the group. Unless England and France BOTH lose, whoever finishes 3rd in Group F is guaranteed to advance. A France loss, Costa Rica win, winner in Spain/South Korea, and an England win/draw would see the #3 team (France) and the #5 team (Sweden) be eliminated after group play.

My picks for tomorrow's games:
Group E:
Brazil 3-1 over Costa Rica
Spain South Korea finish tied at 1. Brazil finishes 1st, Spain finishes second (that would put them at -1 GD while Costa Rica would be at -2), 3rd place finisher Costa Rica out.

Group F:
England Colombia finish tied 0-0
France shuts out Mexico 2-0. France finishes 1st, Colombia finishes second, England 3rd.
Teams advancing would be: Netherlands & England both of whom would have 4 points, while Switzerland (+9 GD) and Sweden (0 GD) both finish with 3 and would beat out Thailand (-7 GD) and Costa Rica (2 points) to advance to the knockout round.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:17 PM

675 posts, read 650,207 times
Round of 16 fixtures:

China v. Cameroon, 20 Jun
USA v. Colombia, 22 Jun
Germany v. Sweden, 20 Jun
France v. Korea Rep., 21 Jun
------------------------------------
Brazil v. Australia, 21 Jun
Japan v. Netherlands, 23 Jun
Norway v. England, 22 Jun
Canada v. Switzerland, 21 Jun

Old 06-19-2015, 10:19 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,578,970 times
Interesting matchups. Sweden/Germany is the biggest game. Think the US blows out Colombia & Brazil blows out Australia, but the rest should be good.

For the games tomorrow I'll take Germany 1-0 over Sweden as the Swedes end a disappointing run, and bow out of Canada meekly.
And I'll take Cameroon 2-1 over China. The defense from China looks pretty good I don't think they are going to be able to create many opportunities, while the front line of Cameroon has looked pretty good in the minimal time I've seen them play while the backline is the question mark. Could very well go into extra time or PK's.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:55 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,652,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Interesting matchups. Sweden/Germany is the biggest game. Think the US blows out Colombia & Brazil blows out Australia, but the rest should be good.

For the games tomorrow I'll take Germany 1-0 over Sweden as the Swedes end a disappointing run, and bow out of Canada meekly.
And I'll take Cameroon 2-1 over China. The defense from China looks pretty good I don't think they are going to be able to create many opportunities, while the front line of Cameroon has looked pretty good in the minimal time I've seen them play while the backline is the question mark. Could very well go into extra time or PK's.
I believe you're calling these correctly.

It's usually more difficult to pick any team over Germany, USA or Brazil. I also expected a bit more from Sweden, but against Germany? Not happening!

The Cameroon/China game should be a bit more interesting than the other three, unless one of those other teams actually shows up with more game!

Old 06-20-2015, 02:53 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,983,661 times
I'm a big fan of World Cup soccer, and I wish it got more attention like the NFL, NBA, and other big programs get. However, I'm biased since I played soccer for a long time. I hope the U.S. goes all the way to the end and wins so it will bring more recognition to soccer and how great these athletes are.

I've really enjoyed watching Ali Krieger and Christen Press.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:46 PM

294 posts, read 479,867 times
Don't have access to to any channels that are airing the games. Is there a free online stream anywhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer