Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 05:18 AM

782 posts, read 1,112,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
He is nothing like Gerrard for goodness sake?
I agree he is not a Gerard, but he is much closer to that than he is a Xavi ...

There really aren't any other midfielders in the world I would compare him to frankly. The closest I can think would be Iniesta (but less flair, and more grit), Marchisio (better on the ball, worse on the finishing), or Vidal (but not as strong defensively).

Now I just named three of the best midfielders on the planet and although Wilshere has the ability to get to that level of play, he is not that polished of a finished product yet ... but his style is closest to their styles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 07:24 AM

349 posts, read 425,413 times
Jack wilshere is a good player. But I'm afraid he will end up like so many other English youngsters; average.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:06 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,187,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post

There really aren't any other midfielders in the world I would compare him to frankly. The closest I can think would be Iniesta (but less flair, and more grit), Marchisio (better on the ball, worse on the finishing), or Vidal (but not as strong defensively).

Now I just named three of the best midfielders on the planet and although Wilshere has the ability to get to that level of play, he is not that polished of a finished product yet ... but his style is closest to their styles.
I got one, I think Jack Wilshere is comparable to Luka Modric. Both players best asset is their possession game, world class for sure in that aspect, very comfortable in tight spaces. But both are just not that dangerous attacking, and their goal and assist numbers, especially for Wilshere back this up. And both play in central midfield but don't have the defensive instincts or athletic bodies to help them get it done.

And both guys are polarizing, many think they are superstars, many think they are way overrated.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:46 PM

14,879 posts, read 12,243,287 times
I rate him! I think he has the potential to be one of the very best - a lot will deepens on how hard he works though - of course because I'm English I'm sure my opinion won't count because apparently all English people overate English players!!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:21 PM

4,324 posts, read 4,263,086 times
Quote:

I would add Pirlo to Xavi, Iniesta, Gerrard. Maybe Yaya Toure, Xabi Alonso, and Schweinsteiger or even Lampard a step below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I got one, I think Jack Wilshere is comparable to Luka Modric. Both players best asset is their possession game, world class for sure in that aspect, very comfortable in tight spaces. But both are just not that dangerous attacking, and their goal and assist numbers, especially for Wilshere back this up. And both play in central midfield but don't have the defensive instincts or athletic bodies to help them get it done.
Wilshire is like a pitbull puppy, while Luka Modric is a chihuahua. Wilshire is more physical; Modric is more creative and orchestrative. Two different players.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:

And both guys are polarizing, many think they are superstars, many think they are way overrated.
They may both lack deffensive instincts, but Jack has far more grit. Jack is more than willing to get stuck in - often recklessly so. He just doesn't understand defensive positioning or have good instincts defensively. I also think Modric has much better vision comparatively.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:58 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,187,272 times
Quote:
They may both lack deffensive instincts, but Jack has far more grit. Jack is more than willing to get stuck in - often recklessly so. He just doesn't understand defensive positioning or have good instincts defensively. I also think Modric has much better vision comparatively.
I agree with all of this. Wilshere should have been born 6'2 190, that would help. And he also lacks the regal leadership qualities other English internationals like Beckham, Gerrard, and Lampard have had in spades even at young ages. I can see Wilshere being part of an England team that say goes deep in Brazil next summer, or wins the next Euros, but I can't see him being the star or captain of such a team.

BTW, I see Arsenal have just resigned Mathieu Flamini. Despite being far less talented than Wilshere, I think he can do more to help Arsenal beat tough teams than Wilshere because of his defensive acumen.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:35 AM

4,324 posts, read 4,263,086 times
Quote:
I agree with all of this. Wilshere should have been born 6'2 190, that would help. And he also lacks the regal leadership qualities other English internationals like Beckham, Gerrard, and Lampard have had in spades even at young ages. I can see Wilshere being part of an England team that say goes deep in Brazil next summer, or wins the next Euros, but I can't see him being the star or captain of such a team.
I disagree with you on this tood. IMO Wilshire has the swagger for captaincy. If not this year, IMO next year Wilshire will be Arsenal's captain.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
I disagree with you on this tood. IMO Wilshire has the swagger for captaincy. If not this year, IMO next year Wilshire will be Arsenal's captain.

Disagree. He has a hard nosed attitude, but I don't think he has real leadership qualities. Our next captain will depend some on turnover, but the line in Wenger's mind is definately Arteta --> Merte, after that it becomes mirky. I personally would go Kos --> Ramsey after those above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer