Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 12:59 PM

782 posts, read 1,107,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
He is in the mould of Xavi. And in a few years will be quality. Is is commonly known that they want him to replace him. I think people are doing Wilshere a disservice here, when he is injury free and gets a run of games he is magestic to watch.
Explain how they play alike? I am an Arsenal fan for more than a quarter of a century, I watch every single match. I am not doing Wilshere a disservice, although he still has a lot to prove as far as fulfilling his potential, he has brilliant skill.

But once again, he is a box-to-box midfielder, very aggressive, sometimes wild in the tackle, great on the ball, sometimes struggles with vision to pick out the right pass, but with good passing skills. Not super creative in the mould of a Santi, a Mata or a more pure AM, rather more of a direct player.

He is frankly better on the ball, running at guys than Xavi is or ever was. However, his passing range and accuracy is not anywhere in the same galaxy as Xavi. His vision is not the same galaxy. He doesn't have the composure or mentality to sit back as a deep laying playmaker at all.

Again - if you are going to compare him to someone in Barca's midfield he is much closer to a Iniesta (although that is not a perfect comparison either, as Iniesta has much more flair and better vision than Wilshere at this point).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
Wilshere is nothing like Xavi and will probably never be. He is another overrated English youth who will end up at an average club in 4-5 years. Kinda remind me of David Bentley.
You are doing him a great disservice there. First off, his style of play is nothing like Bentley. Secondly, he has allready shown his worth in both club and international play. Presently he has been through some significant injury setbacks for the last 18 months, but he is well back on his way to where he was. He is by no means fully arrived and does still have to show that he can fulfill the promise and upside that he has, but he is an absolute gem of a player with great potential. Still only 21 years old so plenty of time to fulfill it as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 01:35 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,865,042 times
There is no talking to some people. Wilshere overrated? Like Bentley?

Bloody bonkers.

Barca and me obviously see something in him you two don't I guess. He is top class, I am a Scotsman and will admit it. Superb player.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:43 PM

782 posts, read 1,107,882 times
Yes, superb player. But again ... tell me in what way his game is anything like Xavi's? Xavi plays absolutely nothing like Wilshere. There are no similarities in their game. They are deployed differently, they have totally different skill sets. I am not knocking Wilshere, I am a lifelong Gooner, I love all of my boys. I could see him one day being quality enough for Barca ... but one thing he does NOT do, is play ANYTHING like Xavi. If you think he does, then give some comparison, give some reasoning on why you think that he is fit to play that role ... in what ways does his game look anything like Xavi's? Defend your statement to those of us who actually watch Wilshere play.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:57 PM

349 posts, read 423,708 times
Quote:
There is no talking to some people. Wilshere overrated? Like Bentley?

Bloody bonkers.

Barca and me obviously see something in him you two don't I guess. He is top class, I am a Scotsman and will admit it. Superb player.
What the hell has he done in his 64 games for arsenal?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:55 PM

He is a diamond in a mediocre team.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:01 PM

349 posts, read 423,708 times
Quote:
He is a diamond in a mediocre team.
True. But as usual England over hypes english players like crazy. If he was playing for man utd or in Spain, he would be another mediocre player.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:22 AM

He is, in my opinion, a future superstar. He has all the attributes.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:07 PM

4,321 posts, read 4,221,971 times
Wilshire doesn't do it for me. I never liked players that were good at many things, and not great at one or two things. If football was like tennis, I would sing a different tune.

Xavi is an orchestrating midfielder. Like Pirlo. Wilshire reminds me of a slow Gerrard, looks aside.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:47 PM

He is nothing like Gerrard for goodness sake?

Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 PM

4,321 posts, read 4,221,971 times
Quote:
He is nothing like Gerrard for goodness sake?
Why? He is better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer