Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 03:29 PM

782 posts, read 1,107,488 times

Advertisements

Neuer
Hart
Buffon
Lloris
Iker

Valdes
Diego Lopez
Julio Ceasar
Mingolet
Tim Howard

Where is this list do young guys like Courtois, Ter Stegen and De Gea fall? It is hard to say, but to me none of these three are clearly ahead of the others, and none of them have any argument to topple the top 5-6 in the world.

Obviously it is subjective. I actually think that Courtois is a brilliant guy for the future. But there is no way that he has the record or standing yet to claim top 5 in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
By world class I don't mean best ever I mean one of the best in that position on earth today which to my mind means world class.
Once again, world class should mean that player is one of the 3-5 best in his position playing today. There are some great, amazing, exciting young talents in the Belgian squad, but in my opinion (and that of most), the only player worthy of that at this point is Kompany. Courtois and/or Mingolet might one day have an argument; Hazzard is knocking on the door. But none but Kompany have any claim to be one of the best in the world at their given position.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:14 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,548,178 times
Courtois is in the top 5 in my view. He was the best keeper in Spain last year. He's a young guy and will be around for a while.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:02 PM

10,648 posts, read 16,065,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Neuer
Hart
Buffon
Lloris
Iker

Valdes
Diego Lopez
Julio Ceasar
Mingolet
Tim Howard

Where is this list do young guys like Courtois, Ter Stegen and De Gea fall? It is hard to say, but to me none of these three are clearly ahead of the others, and none of them have any argument to topple the top 5-6 in the world.

Obviously it is subjective. I actually think that Courtois is a brilliant guy for the future. But there is no way that he has the record or standing yet to claim top 5 in the world.
Howard, Cesar and Mignolet are not even in the Top 15!

Last edited by Davy-040; 06-25-2013 at 11:12 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 11:04 PM

10,648 posts, read 16,065,551 times
Quote:
Neuer
Hart
Buffon
Lloris
Iker

Valdes
Diego Lopez
Julio Ceasar
Mingolet
Tim Howard

1.Neuer
2.Hart

3.Buffon
4.Casillas

5.Courtois
6.Lloris

7.Sirigu
8.Cech
9.Akinfeev
10.Stekelenburg

Last edited by Davy-040; 06-25-2013 at 11:14 PM..

Old 06-26-2013, 01:47 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,861,430 times
Buffon is past it. Courtois is better than Hart IMO. Otherwise good list. I'd go

1.Neuer
2.Casillas
3.Lloris
4.Courtois
5.Hart

Old 06-26-2013, 02:16 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,974,569 times
Quote:
Once again, world class should mean that player is one of the 3-5 best in his position playing today. There are some great, amazing, exciting young talents in the Belgian squad, but in my opinion (and that of most), the only player worthy of that at this point is Kompany. Courtois and/or Mingolet might one day have an argument; Hazzard is knocking on the door. But none but Kompany have any claim to be one of the best in the world at their given position.
Courtois is only 21, so he'll get there eventually

The thing with the present Belgian national team is that they have a phenomenal team spirit, they're willing to go all the way for each other. It's true that, except for Hazard and Kompany, they don't yet have world class players on every position. Most are on the "very good" level (I'm thinking about Witsel, Vertonghen, Dembele, Courtois,...).
By the way, our very best player this year has been the relatively unknown Kevin De Bruyne. He's been brilliant.

(anyway, I think we've been going slightly off topic here - but still, I'm glad to see the level of interest in our team )

Old 06-26-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Buffon is past it. Courtois is better than Hart IMO. Otherwise good list. I'd go
Buffon is past it? Lol! He has led basically the best defense in Europe for two years running. He has slipped from his #1 in the world perch, but you are talking arguably the greatest keeper of all time, and he is unquestionably still top 5, hell he is top 3.y

Old 06-26-2013, 06:56 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,861,430 times
Yes I feel he is down a few notches from a few seasons past.

I agree he is one of the best ever just not currently. Did you watch Italy v Brazil? He was at fault for every goal.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:09 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,548,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Howard, Cesar and Mignolet are not even in the Top 15!
I'd agree with that except for Mignolet. He's awesome. Players that good must play for top top teams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer