Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:27 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,729,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Get all defensive if you want! I am just saying the truth, you can disagree but plenty more would agree.
I'm not getting defensive but I backed my argument up with numbers and you are just spouting players on the roster yet I doubt you even know what they bring or don't bring to the table. Wigan aren't a talent filled team. They don't have players that teams (including MLS teams) are tripping over their feet to get. There is a reason for that. They aren't that great of a team. The really good players who were there are gone. Wigan wouldn't win for a variety of reasons.

The MLS as a league is like the lower football leagues and the club will have to constrict its financing as the the league funds they gain aren't enough to to run the club at its current state. It's a huge blow to be relegated from the Premier League. So, players who aren't that great to begin with have to be sold then MLS teams tend to play very defensive (slowly going away from that). Wigan aren't good enough to unlock teams like that consistently. They aren't very clinical to begin with. If Wigan played in the MLS then they would make the playoffs no doubt. Winning the Championship? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,916,122 times
Look believe what you want, if you "plopped" Wigan in the MLS they would be successful.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Look believe what you want, if you "plopped" Wigan in the MLS they would be successful.
Sure just like the New England Revolution. They're called the Buffalo Bills of MLS for a reason. They would always make it to the playoffs and even to the final but they could never win it all. Now, they are hardly playoff contenders anymore. If Wigan were dropped in MLS it would be nothing like Juventus when they were demoted and had to play in Serie B then went through the league like a buzz saw. Far from it.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:23 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,553,634 times
No one is saying Wigan are good. They are not a great team but they are a good enough team to win the MLS. The question being asked is not about finance and the affect the league would do to the team financially. If you put this Wigan side in the MLS, they could and probably would win it. Its a different thing all together when you bring in finances and benefits of the league but that is not what this thread is about.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:53 PM

exactly! doubt he'll get it though

Old 11-20-2012, 11:53 PM

So lets disregard the details right? How can you just ignore the effects of the league and financing? That's just as important as the players themselves. No, they wouldn't win the MLS in it's first season. Maybe down the line but considering how you just want to ignore some aspects and focus on others. Your argument is quite frail. You have good defenses who would limit an already impotent attack in Wigan. Yeah, I guess the MLS is trash hence they would win right?

Old 11-21-2012, 07:25 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,553,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
So lets disregard the details right? How can you just ignore the effects of the league and financing? That's just as important as the players themselves. No, they wouldn't win the MLS in it's first season. Maybe down the line but considering how you just want to ignore some aspects and focus on others. Your argument is quite frail. You have good defenses who would limit an already impotent attack in Wigan. Yeah, I guess the MLS is trash hence they would win right?
You can forget about finance and effects of the league though. This thread is basically saying what would happen if you put a current team in the league. If you put a current MLS side in the Premier League, they would get relegated. If you put THIS Wigan squad in the MLS, they would probably win the league. It is a total different case when finance comes into play but as I said, this thread is not about the effect the league would have. This thread is basically about the current talent of the team and I would say Wigan have more talent then any MLS team.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:27 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,054,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
You can forget about finance and effects of the league though. This thread is basically saying what would happen if you put a current team in the league. If you put a current MLS side in the Premier League, they would get relegated. If you put THIS Wigan squad in the MLS, they would probably win the league. It is a total different case when finance comes into play but as I said, this thread is not about the effect the league would have. This thread is basically about the current talent of the team and I would say Wigan have more talent then any MLS team.

More talent doesnt equal winning. If Wigan had some time in the league, they would probably win but I dont think they would come straight into the league and start winning. All the other teams and players are familiar with one another and have been playing against and together for years. A team isnt just going to come into a league and start beating everyone regardless of the talent they have. Sport doesnt work like that. Second season and beyond they would definitely be at the top but in their first season, early struggles would probably doom them from winning the league and the playoffs would be a whole new experience for those players.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:04 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,033,220 times
Celtic, Rangers and even a side based in Belfast or Dublin that were allowed access to the Premier League would become competitive very quickly with the injection of capital such a move would attract.

An MLS team will be as successful as the man who is bankrolling the operation. In the Premier League alot of the winners in had in recent years were also rans when their clubs were in the doldrums financially.

I still remember when they were passing the bucket around to save Stamford Bridge when I went there as an away supporter as a child. Manchester City went down to the 3rd tier in what was then the 2nd Division if memory serves me correct.

Aguero wouldn't be there today if they couldn't afford his wages, the same with Tevez. The Premier League is about as cut-throat as it gets.

You'd have to go back to Aston Villa or Nottingham Forest in the 1980's to see a team that won the league as medium sized, well run clubs. Even Millwall topped the league for a time in the 80's for a while and West Ham came close to winning it in 86, Spurs the last time they really challenged 87.

Celtic won the European Cup in 1967 with a team that were all born within a 30 mile radius of Glasgow. I don't think I'd be going out on a limb to say that such a feat will never be repeated again in the modern game.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 11-24-2012 at 08:20 AM..

Old 11-24-2012, 11:35 AM

You know your football Fear&Whiskey! That was some feat that'll never be be repeated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer