Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 05:03 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,970,411 times

Advertisements

Biggest problem for Rangers could be getting the right team together.

From what I read, a fair proportion of the first team have decided not to transfer their contracts.
I guess this is understandable, I'd want to be playing at the highest level I could, and demotion wouldn't fit with that strategy.

I note Green plans to take legal action against them, but it surely can't be healthy to have a large part of your team who don't want to play for you.

I expect they may find it harder to get back to the SPL than some hope.
I'd expect the hardcore fans to stick with them once things are finalised, particularly this year as a show of support.
Gate money should still be good for them compared to their direct competitors.
However, if they don't bounce straight back, or do wind up in the third, this could very possibly dwindle.

They'll almost certainly lose out on some cash from merchandise as the glory hunter fans begin to drift away to other teams.
They'll also miss out on a chunk of money from their extensive runs in Europe (cough!), and it depends on what happens with the transfer of the rangers TV deal which I believe the SPL are looking to retain.

It could be an interesting couple of years.

Glad I'm not a Rangers fan !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 06:46 AM

15 posts, read 19,566 times
first off who the eff are these rangers you speak of ? they no longer exsit! no one should be worried about how this affects the rest of scottish fitba. they are not only guilty of tax dodging but have been financial doping for at least a decade. look back at all the matches and silverwear that they have won in this time. how would that affect the teams they cheated? how many pounds have they cheated away from those clubs? they've been found out and must pay the price. the fact that the spl/sfl are now looking to rip up their own rule book to make way for these vial, bigoted cheaters shows the lack of integrity that is in place.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:09 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,487,859 times
Well said shady

Sent from my Alcatel OT-981A using Tapatalk

Old 06-29-2012, 09:49 AM

Ok, look, I despise Rangers and all that they stand for as much as the next man.
I feel equally about Celtic, so I have no bias there !
Speaking as a Scot, I'm ashamed that one of the first things any foreigner associates me with is any of the bile which comes from fans of both of these clubs.
It's very much in evidence everywhere on the internet, and brings nothing but shame to our country.
Personally I'd be happier if both of them disappeared.

However, let's look at your points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadybhoy View Post
first off who the eff are these rangers you speak of ? they no longer exsit!
Yes, they do.
Rangers football club still exists. The history is still there, the name is still there, but the company who ran Rangers do not exist.

Remember MG Rover went bust a few years back ?
MG Rover still exist. The company who ran it before don't, but the Chinese company bought the name, and the facilities and the right to trade under that name, exactly what Green has done with Rangers.
Indeed, the very same thing is happening right now with SAAB, it has recently been bought by a Chinese company who intend to make electric cars.
Hence, SAAB still exists
It could be a very shrewd move by Green, and if/when Rangers climb back, he surely stands to make a lot of cash.
I can see why the real Rangers fans are concerned about his motives.

Quote:
at least a decade. look back at all the matches and silverwear that they have won in this time. how would that affect the teams they cheated?
Please explain to me, clearly and concisely, exactly how Rangers failure to pay their taxes, and alleged financial dodgy dealings have affected any other club, or match.
Like them or not, Rangers position in Scottish football is down to onfield prowess. Backstage matters have little or no relevance to games.

Don't build up your hopes they'll be stripped of trophies and titles as some celtic fans seem to think. That'll never happen, since the impropriety wasn't a footballing matter.

Quote:
how many pounds have they cheated away from those clubs?
Which clubs ?
Agreed, since the sh*t really hit the fan they haven't had the cash to pay a few organisations for services rendered, but such is always the way when any company goes bust.
Deprived of cash, yes. Cheated ? No.

Quote:
they've been found out and must pay the price.
On this one, I agree.
This whole saga is dragging on ad on, and is seriously tarnishing Scottish football. The simple act of going bust and restarting under different management cannot be enough, otherwise other similarly financially challenged clubs will follow suit, we don't want to make this an easy way out.

Quote:
the fact that the spl/sfl are now looking to rip up their own rule book to make way for these vial, bigoted cheaters shows the lack of integrity that is in place.
Yes, this is a concern.
Justice has to be seen to be done, not just in Scotland, but the world is watching, and justice must be seen to be done.
It is a concern that things might be being re-jigged, and fairness must be number 1.

Let us remember, Celtic were almost in this very position a few years back, and Hearts are being run on a shoestring, it could happen to any club

Last edited by bobman; 06-29-2012 at 10:36 AM..

Old 06-30-2012, 05:23 AM

On the subject of changing rules to make it easier for Rangers.

SPL breakaway threat over Rangers treatment - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

If this happens, it's an absolute disgrace, and makes a total mockery of Scottish football.

Agreed, new Rangers are a seperate entity from old Rangers, however they should not have an easy path.
They maybe shouldn't pay the price too much for old misdoings, but new club should be treated as a new club.
If it's that easy for them to get back to the SPl, then I think I'll form a club tomorrow !!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:47 AM

6,414 posts, read 9,088,418 times
I donated to the Rangers Fans Fighting Fund as I feel it's a worthy cause. Respect for those in the squad that are roughing it out. Men amongst boys.

The Rangers Fans Fighting Fund - We don't do walking away

Old 07-13-2012, 08:17 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,553,634 times
Bye bye Rangers.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:54 AM

I did have a good laugh, 3rd division!!! Couldn't have happened to a nicer set of scumbags!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,553,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I did have a good laugh, 3rd division!!! Couldn't have happened to a nicer set of scumbags!
I just find it funny that a club as big as Rangers will be playing against teams that wouldn't make it into the English league at any level.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Mr Vladimir Romanov today issued the following statement after recent revelations that have had a hugely damaging affect on the game in this country.

Mr Romanov, who has been consistent in his views since investing in Scottish football in 2005, said:

"The opinion of Heart of Midlothian FC in regards to the current situation of Scottish football is clear and robust.

"The football mafia represented by former owners of Rangers FC and Rupert Murdoch's media are to blame for some of the worst problems to hit Scottish football and must not be allowed back in under any circumstances.

"As regards the club itself, we can only express our deepest condolences to its supporters, who have been lied to for so many years.

"It had to happen sooner or later. Victories were achieved not by sporting merits, but through slander, conspiracies amongst players and their poaching via third parties, unfair pressuring of referees, who in themselves are as valuable to the fabric of football as the football stars themselves.

"All of this brought hollow victories and destroyed football. We can also mention the attempts to eliminate Hearts with the help of the tax petitions, through false accusations and threats to revoke the club license. There is a saying about digging a grave for someone: you get it for yourself …

"Without these people football will become cleaner and stronger. Without Murdoch the whole of society will improve, in particular sport and culture.

"Supporters deserve a new beginning and have to accept the fact that their club has to start from the lower league, keeping order in the SPL and without creating unfair competition with other clubs.

"As regards the pitiful state of Scottish football finances, a lot of the blame should be placed at the doors of Murdoch's media. They pay huge sums to English clubs, whilst in Scotland, where football is better supported per capita than anywhere else in Europe and there are more cable or Sky subscribers per capita than in England, clubs receive peanuts for their broadcasting rights.

"At the very least this is discrimination and protectionism for the English football product, which at the same time stunts the development of the game in Scotland, that is regarded as the cradle of football.

"I feel that it is absolutely realistic to create a company that would bring to Scottish clubs at least the same broadcasting income, and even grow it by 50-100% over the next two to three years. This company should be in the hands of Scottish clubs and work with those who want to earn money the honest way, instead of conducting business the Murdoch way.

"They have lived beyond law and all morals, and should now be declared beyond the pale. A society that allows the destruction of integrity in sport, which is a crucial part of Scottish culture, is destroying itself - and all for the benefit of a media aborigine."

Error | Error Page | System | Hearts ... 84_2818454
Nice speech lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer