Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 04:44 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,268,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave39 View Post
why does most of the world have football as there no1 sport dont you feel your missing out.
this is simply a false premise

Old 09-22-2011, 04:50 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,870,388 times
Finger Laker, just deal with it the majority of the world loves soccer, even countries where it isn't their number 1 sport it wont be far behind, even in the US it is becoming more popular, it's by far the worlds favorite sport.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:09 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,268,180 times
I never said otherwise - did I?

I said it wasn't the #1 sport in some of the largest countries in the world - which doesn't make the US unique in that perspective.

That's all - that's it

I think I aknowledged that it's becomming more popular in the US

Quote:
However, given that soccer & basketball run neck and neck as the most participated in youth sports and the leagues are growing, the federation is improving and more international leagues are being picked up and broadcast - soccer definitely has a place at the american sports table
as for soccer being the most popular sport in the world - again, I would agree ... in fact we had a thread titled Worlds Most Popular Sports and I had soccer #1 there - this was a year and a half ago, so I think i'm pretty comfortable with this notion

i'm kind of amazed at how much traction a seemingly trolling thread has kicked up

Old 09-22-2011, 06:04 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,963,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I never said otherwise - did I?

I said it wasn't the #1 sport in some of the largest countries in the world - which doesn't make the US unique in that perspective.

That's all - that's it

I think I aknowledged that it's becomming more popular in the US

as for soccer being the most popular sport in the world - again, I would agree ... in fact we had a thread titled Worlds Most Popular Sports and I had soccer #1 there - this was a year and a half ago, so I think i'm pretty comfortable with this notion

i'm kind of amazed at how much traction a seemingly trolling thread has kicked up
This is a good point and one worth commenting on.

We know that American football is hugely popular in the USA, that cricket dominates in India and Pakistan and that rugby is probably number one in Australia, South Africa and New Zealand.

But what makes soccer different is that it is the number one sport in so many countries around the world. They are not necessarily the largest countries but the sheer prevalence of soccer on the world stage is something other sports do not manage. That is why the soccer world cup is such a huge event ... because for the majority of countries around the world it is the number one sporting event. By contrast, the cricket or rugby world cups are minor affairs. Here in America, we console ourselves by pretending that our best football or baseball team ... the winners of the World Series or Superbowl ... are world champions.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:51 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,963,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Finger Laker, just deal with it the majority of the world loves soccer, even countries where it isn't their number 1 sport it wont be far behind, even in the US it is becoming more popular, it's by far the worlds favorite sport.
Yes, it's the #1 sport in the world.... just not here, or Canada.

I don't think anyone here is arguing that.

As for the World Series, Super Bowl, NBA Champs, Stanley Cup champs being labled as 'World' Champions, I'd think that would have more to do with all those 4 being the highest level of that particular sport in the world. Really don't see the big problem with that. To me, it's almost like complaining over the name 'soccer' in the first place. Besides, it's not like they're always refered to as World Champs. Half the time it's just Super Bowl champions or Champions of Baseball.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:17 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,870,388 times
Yeah I have no problem with the American's calling themselves world champions if they win at there big sports as they are the best in the world at them so if they win the super bowl for example they would be the world champions because they have beat the best teams in the world.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:33 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,438,484 times
So if Barcelona win the Spanish league they can cal themselves World Champions because they have the best teams in the world ?

Old 09-23-2011, 09:12 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
So if Barcelona win the Spanish league they can cal themselves World Champions because they have the best teams in the world ?
With soccer, you have the World Cup, the highest level of championships for the entire sport of soccer to where you can call your team WORLD champions with no argument.

NFL doesn't have a World Cup. Super Bowl is the highest level.
NBA doesn't have a World Cup. NBA Finals are the highest level
NHL doesn't have a World Cup. Stanley Cup is the highest level.
Major League Baseball has no World Cup. World Series is the highest level.

Other than maybe hockey, there really isn't one league anywhere in the world that doesn't come to par with their respected sports. But what ever the highest level of a title for that sport, they can call themselves world champions.

But personally, I really don't care, just as long as you win something.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:31 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,438,484 times
I dont care either really, it was a tongue in cheek comment. I shoulda put a smiley in there somewhere My bad.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:57 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I dont care either really, it was a tongue in cheek comment. I shoulda put a smiley in there somewhere My bad.
You HAVE too on City-Data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.