Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 10:51 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,565,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Yes I do and the Milwaukee Brewers Bucks and all our other sports teams have been failures in the last 800 years or so it seems. I was very happy to see the brewers make the playoffs for the first time in 26 years but in the end they failed to bring home a championship. I will always support my team even when they are losing 100+ games a year(2001). I don't settle for little victories. You should be trying to win a championship every year you play. Teams can have great years say making it to the world series but in the end you failed as a team to win the championship. Besides I never said anything about hard work and how easy it is to reach the championship. I am saying that when you fail to win the championship your season is a failure. Yes you have progressed but the end goal should be rings!
Agreed. This wasn't the USMNT playing as a massive underdog and earning some moral victory. it was the #1 ranked team in the world giving up two late leads, including one goal where the back line looked like a high school team. And the penalties were Roberto Baggio-esque. If this was a top-ranked men's side people would be calling for the coach's head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 11:14 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,432,157 times
Yeh but theyre girls, nobody takes it seriously enough to go that far and call for the coaches head!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:13 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,427,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
My thoughts exactly. It's nowhere near the same level. Not even close nor is it worth debating.

I wish all the women the best of luck in following their dreams but I just can't get into it.
And yet, you are here talking about it.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:57 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,865,765 times
oh god, you would think you won world cups all the time or something

Old 07-18-2011, 07:09 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,559,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
oh god, you would think you won world cups all the time or something
And it was just a soccer game, not a replay of WWII or something big like that.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:11 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,432,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
2010 NFL avg attendance: 66,960
2010 NCAA FBS football: 45,912
2010 MLB avg attendance: 30,141
2010-2011 NHL avg attendance: 17,460
2010-11- avg NBA attendance: 17,031
2010 MLS avg attendance: 16,675

MLS may catch and pass the lowly NBA and NHL, but they will never reach baseball and football, barring some sort of miracle.
So now youre switching sports on me ? I just stated a fact dude, that is all. Why dont you quit hijacking threads and go watch baseball with the other 30 Americans that do ...
Youre the one that brought up everybody switching to Baseball, just sayin

Anyway, back on topic please.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:52 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,427,265 times
I thought this was a thread for people who enjoyed watching the Womens World Cup. But you'd never know it by some of the comments in this thread.

Can't believe how many guys thought it was so important to let the rest of us know how much they don't enjoy watching women play soccer that they just had to enter this thread to tell us.

What a waste of message space. Who cares! Lame.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:04 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,565,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
I am a relatively inexperienced soccer fan but it seemed everytime the US went up they shifted into the soccer equivilant of the prevent defense instead of pressing Japan the way they did when the score was tied. One lesson that seemed to carry from american football to world football - Prevent Defenses only Prevent you from winning.
Bunkering is actually usually an effective strategy late in games...makes it difficult for the opponents to build up, and you won't get burned on the counter. However, it's not going to work when you clear the ball right to an opposing player in front of the goal, or when you let a smaller and less athletic team get space on a set piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Yeh but theyre girls, nobody takes it seriously enough to go that far and call for the coaches head!
That's the thing. This was a major choke job. But since they're women it seems like everybody has to put on the kid gloves and shy away from criticizing their dreadful performance. I guess that we just have different expectations for women's team sports.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:22 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,017,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
What's this "you did us proud" stuff about the loss in the world cup. Isn't the point to win? if just showing up "does the USA proud" then I can hop on a plane and go to the world cup and do us proud. They should've won and they didn't, choke job. I don't know how anyone can be happy with a loss or with losers lament, "at least we got there" or "nobody expected us to win" well looks like you kept that promise. WIN IT next time!

You do realize that the World Cup is a two year competition that involves a rigorous qualifying process and then having to play through the group stage and then the knockout games to make it that far. Those women put more on the line the last few weeks than you probably have in your entire life.

Congrats, you won the award for the most ridiculous statement of the year on C-D. You should be proud, that takes a lot of stupidity to pull that off.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:24 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,017,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I don't care what some chump in Sri Lanka does for recreation. Don't change the sport. 0-0 ties always make for a good time. And why can't the rules change? Rules change in other sports all the time.

Why would the rules need to be changed when it is the most watched and followed sport in the world?

Let me guess, the rest of the world doesnt exist in your head?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer