Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 01:23 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,931,321 times

Advertisements

My outlook for expansion....

East:

- Miami
- Atlanta
- 2nd NYC club
- St. Louis
- Orlando
- Ottawa
- *Montreal

West:

- San Diego
- San Antonio
- Fort Worth
- Phoenix
- Albuquerque

* = Already happening... 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 03:12 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,422,783 times
Buerque and the surrounding area isnt big enough for an MLS team. Least not if you want 30k+ crowds.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:52 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,009,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I dont think it would kill the league at all, it would add excitement and bring more to it.
If a team gets relegated and fans dont support them they are hardly fans so that is a misuse of the word no ? Surely youd say spectator :P (jk)
From a business standpoint, it would kill the league. There isnt a single owner in this league that would allow such a system. These owners have tens of millions of dollars invested into their respective teams and they lose millions in revenue by getting relegated. The business of US sports is not designed to support a pro/reg system. The MLS is currently asking 50 million as an expansion fee. Do you think someone is going to pay 50 million dollars to join a league where they can get relegated down to a second division where their revenue will be next to nothing?

US fans do not understand pro/reg. To them, getting relegated would be interpreted as being sent to the minors. Minor league teams do not get the support that major league teams do. It's just how US sports works.

Quote:
So nobody can tell for sure that a "proper" league would not take off in the US, I am just going by what works in the rest of the world and what makes it exciting.
It's not about what makes it exciting. It's about money. The league cannot exist without owners and revenue. No owner is going to take a risk in a drastic cut in revenue that would come with getting relegated. This isnt the rest of the world, this is the United States and our sports culture is different. While MLS can adopt certain elements of the world game, some things have to stay American or the league folds. Pro/reg will not work. I will bet everything I own on it.

Quote:
I think they need to start with a one league system for a start. Person with the most amount of points wins and have a big US Cup styled like the FA Cup and maybe have the winner of the US Cup vs MLS Chapions or something .....
They need to start with a one league system? We have several divisions and a US Open Cup tournament that is much like the FA Cup.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:53 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,009,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

East:

- Miami
- Atlanta
- 2nd NYC club
- St. Louis
- Orlando
- Ottawa
- *Montreal

West:

- San Diego
- San Antonio
- Fort Worth
- Phoenix
- Albuquerque

What are you basing this on?

Fort Worth? There is a team in Dallas that has attendance hovering around 10K and you want to put a second team in the area?

Old 12-03-2010, 11:01 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,422,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
From a business standpoint, it would kill the league. There isnt a single owner in this league that would allow such a system. These owners have tens of millions of dollars invested into their respective teams and they lose millions in revenue by getting relegated. The business of US sports is not designed to support a pro/reg system. The MLS is currently asking 50 million as an expansion fee. Do you think someone is going to pay 50 million dollars to join a league where they can get relegated down to a second division where their revenue will be next to nothing?

US fans do not understand pro/reg. To them, getting relegated would be interpreted as being sent to the minors. Minor league teams do not get the support that major league teams do. It's just how US sports works.

It's not about what makes it exciting. It's about money. The league cannot exist without owners and revenue. No owner is going to take a risk in a drastic cut in revenue that would come with getting relegated. This isnt the rest of the world, this is the United States and our sports culture is different. While MLS can adopt certain elements of the world game, some things have to stay American or the league folds. Pro/reg will not work. I will bet everything I own on it.

They need to start with a one league system? We have several divisions and a US Open Cup tournament that is much like the FA Cup.
One league as in get rid of the ridiculous conferences. US Open Cup isnt that good, think big! I guess you are just stuck in the mindset as this is as good as it gets so lets roll with. We already have great teams in the US in a league that Americans wouldnt like because they just dont understand football, remember ? MLS was going to be a disaster and fail, well it hasnt.

The overall setup is just not as exciting as it could be. With the youth setups that some clubs have we are already seeing some great players and the US has the potential to have one of the best teams in the world in 15 to 20 years IMHO so they need to develope a better league to keep up with it,

Old 12-03-2010, 11:21 AM

6,408 posts, read 9,001,492 times
The USOC has great potential. In '06 I had a great time at Fire matches during USOC. The crowds were small but it was all supporters. Right now the main problem is MLS does not really care about it. Such a shame.

I'd like to see a single table with no playoffs. Mid-table teams in search of silverware can shoot for USOC luck. The regular season should mean something. The drama of chance and hot streaks is best suited for a tournament like USOC.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:24 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
What are you basing this on?

Fort Worth? There is a team in Dallas that has attendance hovering around 10K and you want to put a second team in the area?
For one thing, they're just MY suggestions. Nothing more than that. Which is why I put emphasis in the word 'MY'.

And second, when Dallas' soccer team plays all the way in a northern suburb, out of decent driving distance for the bulk population of half of the Metroplex and (really) average at best marketing, of course attendance is gonna be low.
Also, the DFW area has well over 6 million people now and is growing. Just because Fort Worth isn't Dallas doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't happen. I think location and support is the main factor in where FC Dallas is right now. So really, why not?

Old 12-03-2010, 11:24 AM

6,408 posts, read 9,001,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

East:

- Miami
- Atlanta
- 2nd NYC club
- St. Louis
- Orlando
- Ottawa
- *Montreal

West:

- San Diego
- San Antonio
- Fort Worth
- Phoenix
- Albuquerque

Why have you picked some of these cities? St. Louis has a USL club on the verge of collapse. Miami was tried before. There is shockingly little interest in soccer here in Phoenix (much to my chagrin).

Old 12-03-2010, 12:50 PM
JJG

Like I said, these were just suggestions.

Who knows what the landscape will look like for MLS opprotunities? I just picked cities that would seem to pick up a club.

And is it a crime for me to pick my hometown as one?

Old 12-03-2010, 03:59 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,362,886 times
I think FCD should have moved over to Fort Worth. Everything seems so Dallas-centric in the sports and I think at least some of the 700,000 residents could get behind a pro team in their own city. It's too bad that they waste away in Frisco, where half-capacity crowds go to watch one of the better teams in the league this year.

Too late to debate it now, though. They have a stadium that turns a profit on non-soccer events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer