Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:25 PM

65 posts, read 38,491 times

Advertisements

that's ridiculous,what's the point of playing if there aren't consequences???why have second and third division then???
by the way i heard the earthquakes do not have good attendences because they're in a provisory stadium with capacity of 10.000 people,i also read of ways to americanize the sport that are just ridiculous,why bother to have the game if not playing it by the rulles?how can US and canada be respected if they don't play the game correctly?by the way the attendaces aren't bad,my league is considered the 6º in europe and other then the big 3 clubs,we have like 2000 people or 3000,so only in america can be bad attendances
for the teams florida could be a very good place,has a lot of mexican and south american people who love the game,and nyc,probably the most multicultural city in america,lot of foreigners who also love the game,but i don't really see teams in like montane,vermont or nebraska
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,516,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMB_nerd View Post
that's ridiculous,what's the point of playing if there aren't consequences???why have second and third division then???
by the way i heard the earthquakes do not have good attendences because they're in a provisory stadium with capacity of 10.000 people,i also read of ways to americanize the sport that are just ridiculous,why bother to have the game if not playing it by the rulles?how can US and canada be respected if they don't play the game correctly?by the way the attendaces aren't bad,my league is considered the 6º in europe and other then the big 3 clubs,we have like 2000 people or 3000,so only in america can be bad attendances
for the teams florida could be a very good place,has a lot of mexican and south american people who love the game,and nyc,probably the most multicultural city in america,lot of foreigners who also love the game,but i don't really see teams in like montane,vermont or nebraska
There aren't any, really. There are minor soccer leagues, just as there are minor football, baseball, hockey, and basketball leagues. But the way sports works in this country, those aren't seen as nearly the same way as second and third tiers in other countries. Basically, no one supports them. The whole concept is just so foreign to Americans. It just isn't how the sporting landscape works here.

Also, MLS tried to "Americanize" the game when it started, but they've dropped all of that. The games are played just like anywhere else in the world, now. (Just without pro/reg, which won't happen, ever)

Old 07-28-2010, 10:34 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,011,776 times
Quote:
No American sports leagues have promotion/relegation. You play to win championships, you play because you are paid to play, you play because you love the game, you play for pride, you play for your fans. I could go on but avoiding relegation or trying to get promoted is not the only reason to play. In fact, if that is the only reason teams are play, they should not be playing at all.

You have a 2nd and 3rd division because not all players are good enough to play in the 1st division. You have lower divisions to develop players. You think lower divisions in Europe only exist because of promotion/relegation? No, promotion/relegation exist because those lower divisions exist, not the other way around.

Quote:
by the way i heard the earthquakes do not have good attendences because they're in a provisory stadium with capacity of 10.000 people,
Yes, both San Jose and Kansas City are playing in temporary venues of around 10K capacity while their stadiums get worked out.

Quote:
i also read of ways to americanize the sport that are just ridiculous,why bother to have the game if not playing it by the rulles?how can US and canada be respected if they don't play the game correctly?
We do play the game correctly. We play by the rules FIFA set just like every other league in the world. Their are people who write up ideas of how to change the game, that doesnt mean we use them. Some people dont like the sport the way it is and think the entire world should change the game to suite their taste. These people are stupid.

Quote:
2 teams already failed in Florida. Florida has a history of not supporting their professional sports teams. College sports is kind down there.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:11 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,365,627 times
Quote:
Why have Forest Green and Leigh Genesis? Development is not solely through top division programs.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:08 PM

i read NY already has a club in usl first division,maybe in a year or two can make the MLS,it's called fc New York by the way,timbers also are here,next year they MLS

Old 07-29-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
i read NY already has a club in usl first division,maybe in a year or two can make the MLS,it's called fc New York by the way,timbers also are here,next year they MLS
The way teams make the MLS isn't by just joining - a team has to have owners to pay the 50 mil (I think its 50 mil, someone can correct me) entry fee, and have plans for a soccer specific stadium. So it's not just a matter of ''joining'' without the right people to make it happen. (and its not the league that does it. They just accept bids they feel make sense>

Old 07-29-2010, 03:34 PM

50 k???that's nothing,a player gains more in a year salary,stadium yes,it's more complicated,lol i have been seing teams palying in NFL stadiums,confuuuuuusiing

Old 07-29-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
50 k???that's nothing,a player gains more in a year salary,stadium yes,it's more complicated,lol i have been seing teams palying in NFL stadiums,confuuuuuusiing
So I looked it up, and its 40 million. I should have been more clear when I wrote, mil, I guess, cause no player gains 40 million (or 50 million) in a salary year!

Old 07-30-2010, 11:15 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,011,776 times
Quote:

You dont just "make the MLS". First, the MLS has to be accepting expansion bids. Second, they have to submit an application and on top of that they have to have the 40 million dollar fee to join, plans for a Soccer Specific stadium, deep pockets, marketing plans, and a promising business plan. Then, they have to beat out all the other bids.

The USL team isnt coming to MLS. The 2nd NY team is an ownership group lead by the owner of the NY Mets baseball team.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:29 AM

40 million???humm ok,now tht's another story,cause 50 k is nothing,lol,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer