Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:17 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,142,080 times

Advertisements

Despite a few good-natured jabs at soccer and it's supporters I find the WC quite watchable and a good way to spend a couple hours avoiding yard-work. I do wonder a bit about the melo-dramatic, flailing about with expressions of insufferable pain that occurs on some of the collisions/brushes with an opposition player. I assume those are done with the attempt at getting a foul or free-kick awarded but it's funny to see the injured player pop-up and sprint back into the play after the ruse doesn't work and the action moves away. I do admit that some of those slow-motion replays of cleat to ankle shots leaves me flinching and reaching for my beer for comfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 11:23 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,015,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondembo View Post
I tried watching a soccer game today between US and England, I was told it would be a big match for the US and I wanted to support our team, even if its just a non-major sport like soccer. I was shocked and appaled how little action there was and how little scoring. Over 2 hours of game and only 2 points were scored! Even worse there was no statistics/action to get excited over, just what seemed like random passing around and failure to score points. I can't believe that any person in the world would find this exciting. I can think of 50 things on how to improve the game and make it more exciting to watch just off the top of my head, primarily increasing the scoring.

Why doesn't the rest of the world get this? Why do they get excited about a boring 1-0 game? Why doesn't England or Italy or Brazil or Korea or anybody else want to change this sport to make it higher scoring and therefore more exciting?

If you found the US v. England boring, you dont have a pulse. My heart was beating through my chest the entire match and it took me nearly 2 hours after the match for my heart rate to return to normal.

It was the most intense sporting event I have watched in the last couple of years.

The only thing the rest of the world gets is that this game is perfect. Every single moment matters. Do you not understand that the lack of goals actually increases excitement because that 1 single goal can be the winner? You're thought that more scoring would make the game more exciting is actually completely illogical. The more scoring, the less important scoring actually becomes which takes away the excitement of the goals.

Since when are statistics exciting? The only people on this earth that find statistics exciting are actuaries.

How little action there was? Do you realize that in that game every single player on the pitch except the goalkeepers ran between 8-12 miles? There was constant movement by 22 bodies for 90 minutes. I am not sure how much more action you really need. There is more action in 5 minutes of a soccer match than there is in an entire football.

Well, soccer really doesnt need you. It already has billions of fans.

Good-bye. You can stop posting non-stop threads about soccer too. It is getting old.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:57 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,739,857 times
i aint a big soocer fan but when the World Cup is on i love it!!! and i realized the reason why soccer is low scoring is because its heavy defense. The game is all about defense.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:55 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,144,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Maybe we should give 7 points for a goal. That way Germany would have won 28-0. Still only 4 scores but maybe it would make some of the detractors happy
it won't make it any harder to take

Old 06-14-2010, 11:48 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,331,970 times
Quote:
I tried watching a soccer game today between US and England, I was told it would be a big match for the US and I wanted to support our team, even if its just a non-major sport like soccer. I was shocked and appaled how little action there was and how little scoring. Over 2 hours of game and only 2 points were scored! Even worse there was no statistics/action to get excited over, just what seemed like random passing around and failure to score points. I can't believe that any person in the world would find this exciting. I can think of 50 things on how to improve the game and make it more exciting to watch just off the top of my head, primarily increasing the scoring.

Why doesn't the rest of the world get this? Why do they get excited about a boring 1-0 game? Why doesn't England or Italy or Brazil or Korea or anybody else want to change this sport to make it higher scoring and therefore more exciting?
+1 agree with the OP

Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,529,801 times
Quote:

No stats???? Random passing of the ball??? Basically you don't understand the game.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:44 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,009,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
Why doesnt US nationals change their sport to make it more exciting?

I tried to watch a U.S. American Football game but I got tired of watching commercials, they play for 5 seconds followed by 5 minutes of Ads, then play again for 5 seconds, then 5 minutes of advertising.

Is that even a sport?
I took an English friend of mine to a high school game once (American style football).After a few plays,he said "I don't get it.The blokes stand around having a chat,then they all take off running.Then they come back and have another chat,and they take off running again." Hilarious.

This was after I had explained to him to not walk around asking people he meets in Texas if they want a f@g.(cigarette).

BTW,soccer is just fine the way it is.I find it interesting to watch a game in which the clock runs forward.Don't know why really,other than the feel of a different culture.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:36 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,686,942 times
Before you watch a match you have to be ready for the score to end up as 0-0. To have a result other than a 0-0 tie is really exciting. I've enjoyed it more now since I realize that just scoring a goal at all is really big. You are used to sports were you are estimating multiple points and positive action towards a goal.

You have to anticipate that every game will end in a 0-0 tie. They kind of kick the ball around and if one happens to go in then that's better than what was expected. Any movement of the ball in one direction for more than 5 seconds is accomplishing a big goal.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:51 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,672,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The only thing the rest of the world gets is that this game is perfect. Every single moment matters. Do you not understand that the lack of goals actually increases excitement because that 1 single goal can be the winner? You're thought that more scoring would make the game more exciting is actually completely illogical. The more scoring, the less important scoring actually becomes which takes away the excitement of the goals.
I don't need more goals, just more scoring chances. There are so many long stretches of nothing, which is the same reason I can't watch baseball.

Quote:
How little action there was? Do you realize that in that game every single player on the pitch except the goalkeepers ran between 8-12 miles?
So what? I wouldn't be riveted to my screen watching people run a marathon.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:53 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,672,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
They kind of kick the ball around and if one happens to go in then that's better than what was expected. Any movement of the ball in one direction for more than 5 seconds is accomplishing a big goal.
And that, right there, is why I find it a bore to watch. As I've said in another post, I love hockey, but if all the players did was dump the puck back and forth between the blue lines for 90% of the game, I wouldn't be able to stand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer