Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 04:13 PM

683 posts, read 1,471,272 times

Advertisements

Why doesnt US nationals change their sport to make it more exciting?

I tried to watch a U.S. American Football game but I got tired of watching commercials, they play for 5 seconds followed by 5 minutes of Ads, then play again for 5 seconds, then 5 minutes of advertising.

Is that even a sport?

That must be the most profitable sport franchise, the fans
pay to watch commercials.

Instead of talking about a specific play after a U.S. Football game, the fans talk about the Pepsi commercials they saw during the super bowl.

Plz...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 05:44 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,568,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
Why doesnt US nationals change their sport to make it more exciting?

I tried to watch a U.S. American Football game but I got tired of watching commercials, they play for 5 seconds followed by 5 minutes of Ads, then play again for 5 seconds, then 5 minutes of advertising.

Is that even a sport?

That must be the most profitable sport franchise, the fans
pay to watch commercials.

Instead of talking about a specific play after a U.S. Football game, the fans talk about the Pepsi commercials they saw during the super bowl.

Plz...
you hit the nail on the head, americA is the exception, not the rule.

if soccer was like the NFL they'd change a handfull of rules before each season in an attempt to artificially raise scoring, but soccer isnt' run by a bunch of americans so that doesn't happen.

the Wall Street Journal did a study of numerous NFL games and found there is only 11mins. of action in the typical 3 hour broadcast. In fact, you actually spend more time watching replays of the game than the live game itself.

Football Games Have 11 Minutes of Action - WSJ.com

According to a Wall Street Journal study of four recent broadcasts, and similar estimates by researchers, the average amount of time the ball is in play on the field during an NFL game is about 11 minutes.
In other words, if you tally up everything that happens between the time the ball is snapped and the play is whistled dead by the officials, there's barely enough time to prepare a hard-boiled egg. In fact, the average telecast devotes 56% more time to showing replays.

60% of the broadcast is commercials!!!! Sixty per cent!!!!!

So what do the networks do with the other 174 minutes in a typical broadcast? Not surprisingly, commercials take up about an hour. As many as 75 minutes, or about 60% of the total air time, excluding commercials, is spent on shots of players huddling, standing at the line of scrimmage or just generally milling about between snaps. In the four broadcasts The Journal studied, injured players got six more seconds of camera time than celebrating players. While the network announcers showed up on screen for just 30 seconds, shots of the head coaches and referees took up about 7% of the average show.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:47 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,440,068 times
Wow Badger.... So, the average NFL game has 11 minutes worth of actual playing, half of which is split between offense, defense and special teams? According to my calculations then, the average first string NFL player spends around 4 minutes actually playing in a game. Multiply that by 16 games and that equates to just over an hour worth of actual playing per year by the average NFL starting player.

I'm not trying to bash American football, but I find it a bit arrogant when people rag on soccer when their sport of choice has glaring "flaws" of its own.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:07 PM

1,999 posts, read 5,003,114 times
Default spoon feeding the idiots

The real answer is that they need to Americanize the game for American tastes. More breaks in the action, more TV commercials, more loud horns in the background, all sorts of cues and prompts and graphics to spoon feed the audience the material oriented experience that American TV watchers have come to demand.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:34 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,367,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The real answer is that they need to Americanize the game for American tastes. More breaks in the action, more TV commercials, more loud horns in the background, all sorts of cues and prompts and graphics to spoon feed the audience the material oriented experience that American TV watchers have come to demand.
ha. They already did that once. Ironically, we Americans still call it "football."

Old 06-13-2010, 11:40 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,144,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondembo View Post
I tried watching a soccer game today between US and England, I was told it would be a big match for the US and I wanted to support our team, even if its just a non-major sport like soccer. I was shocked and appaled how little action there was and how little scoring. Over 2 hours of game and only 2 points were scored! Even worse there was no statistics/action to get excited over, just what seemed like random passing around and failure to score points. I can't believe that any person in the world would find this exciting. I can think of 50 things on how to improve the game and make it more exciting to watch just off the top of my head, primarily increasing the scoring.

Why doesn't the rest of the world get this? Why do they get excited about a boring 1-0 game? Why doesn't England or Italy or Brazil or Korea or anybody else want to change this sport to make it higher scoring and therefore more exciting?
um, being the world game and all - I think they've pretty much got it right.

BTW, with Germany smashing the Aussies ... 4-0 that was more than enough goals

Old 06-14-2010, 07:32 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,529,801 times
“Soccer” is the purest representation of a sport. Simple and straight to the point. Now, in regards to your post, many countries have created their own version of soccer to make it more appealing to their culture. For instance USA has their gridiron football, Australia has their Aussie rules football, Ireland has their Gaelic football, and even England, which also invented soccer, has Rugby. I don’t have a problem with a sport morphing into something else, but call it something different. Having said that, soccer should remain the way it is. Soccer is a love it or hate it thing, there is no in-between.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 AM

683 posts, read 1,471,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
you hit the nail on the head, americA is the exception, not the rule.

if soccer was like the NFL they'd change a handfull of rules before each season in an attempt to artificially raise scoring, but soccer isnt' run by a bunch of americans so that doesn't happen.

the Wall Street Journal did a study of numerous NFL games and found there is only 11mins. of action in the typical 3 hour broadcast. In fact, you actually spend more time watching replays of the game than the live game itself.

Football Games Have 11 Minutes of Action - WSJ.com

According to a Wall Street Journal study of four recent broadcasts, and similar estimates by researchers, the average amount of time the ball is in play on the field during an NFL game is about 11 minutes.
In other words, if you tally up everything that happens between the time the ball is snapped and the play is whistled dead by the officials, there's barely enough time to prepare a hard-boiled egg. In fact, the average telecast devotes 56% more time to showing replays.

60% of the broadcast is commercials!!!! Sixty per cent!!!!!

So what do the networks do with the other 174 minutes in a typical broadcast? Not surprisingly, commercials take up about an hour. As many as 75 minutes, or about 60% of the total air time, excluding commercials, is spent on shots of players huddling, standing at the line of scrimmage or just generally milling about between snaps. In the four broadcasts The Journal studied, injured players got six more seconds of camera time than celebrating players. While the network announcers showed up on screen for just 30 seconds, shots of the head coaches and referees took up about 7% of the average show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Wow Badger.... So, the average NFL game has 11 minutes worth of actual playing, half of which is split between offense, defense and special teams? According to my calculations then, the average first string NFL player spends around 4 minutes actually playing in a game. Multiply that by 16 games and that equates to just over an hour worth of actual playing per year by the average NFL starting player.

I'm not trying to bash American football, but I find it a bit arrogant when people rag on soccer when their sport of choice has glaring "flaws" of its own.
This NFL version of rugby is extreme capitalism applied to a sport.

NFL FootBALL (looks more like HandOvoid) was more like the exciting Australian rugby decades ago and it was modified to make the sport more profitable. Everything was modified to insert more ADs, commercials, etc. Now, it looks more like a tv show.

The owners of the NFL teams and ESPN brainwashed all the U.S. citizens with some sort of patriotic psychology. They named it "American" football, that puts pressure on the citizens...it is some sort of mental trick..."if you don´t play American Football you are unAmerican!... Blah Blah Blah"...if you play "rest of the world football you are unAmerican as well..blah blah blah"....

US citizens must open their eyes and realize they are paying just to watch commercials.

11 minutes of gameplay!

Also, NFL football is too violent, players are massive 200+ pounds giants using helmets as weapons, and injuries tend to be severe and often season or career-ending and sometimes fatal (brain, spinal injuries).

Real football on the other hand, is not a collision game, anyone can play and enjoy a game. Women, Men, Kids, teens...all you need is a Football (a soccer ball). No sport is more patriotic, people from everywhere plays it, including the U.S. ancestors: Germans, Italians, Spaniards, British, Africans, Asians, etc.

Plus, I am sure that U.S women would like their husbands/boyfriends to have the bodies of FIFA players. That sport makes you reach your fullest potential and level of attractiveness...muscles, stamina, body appeareance, etc.

I would not want to look like a massive 200+ pounds NFL player; they can´t even see their own pe#is without a mirror.

Last edited by Edu983; 06-14-2010 at 09:47 AM..

Old 06-14-2010, 09:39 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,954,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
um, being the world game and all - I think they've pretty much got it right.

BTW, with Germany smashing the Aussies ... 4-0 that was more than enough goals
Maybe we should give 7 points for a goal. That way Germany would have won 28-0. Still only 4 scores but maybe it would make some of the detractors happy

Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,529,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondembo View Post
Even worse there was no statistics/action to get excited over, just what seemed like random passing around and failure to score points.
Yeah, because there is no better experience than watching a game with a notebook and calculator in hand to keep “stats”. “Stats” are nothing more than BS invented by sport commentators to talk crap and make it seem like they know what they are talking about, when in reality they are just pulling sh** out of their a$$!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer