Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 01:13 PM

12 posts, read 31,027 times

Advertisements

I was shopping around for piano these days. I was trapped by a dealer. They provided me inconsistent information. And let me sign a purchase contract. Even at that time, I was not sure what I should buy and I told the sales person that I will confirm tomorrow. As my husband and I really appreciate the sales person's effort to help us. We thought it is no harm to sign it. But we did not see that "final sale" on the paper. At night, I found their speech is not insistent. I wanted my money back the next day. They do not give me refund. And insist I have to buy anything from their store. Please be cautious. Their paper has "final sale" on there. Even with it, I believe consumer has right. Any advice?

Last edited by plainviewresident; 04-23-2010 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: be more clear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 02:30 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Default terrible piano shopping experience

With some contracts, you have up to 72 hours to change your mind without being subject to penalty.
Contact your County's Office of Consumer Affairs or speak with your attorney.

How did you pay? Cash? Check? Credit card?

Old 04-23-2010, 02:36 PM

128 posts, read 340,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
With some contracts, you have up to 72 hours to change your mind without being subject to penalty.
Contact your County's Office of Consumer Affairs or speak with your attorney.

How did you pay? Cash? Check? Credit card?

Yup, you are right. You have three days. I hope you paid via CC. If so, call your CC and dispute.

Actually let me correct my post, I believe if it is a bill of sale I dont think the three days apply.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:40 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
Not sure that 3 day out if available if you went to the store. I thought that was only an option if you purchased off site like phone call or internet. The final sale or all sales final my also exclude your ability to cancel the contract without a penalty if at all.

I have never heard of a purchase contract with nothing specified as the purchase item. Unless there is something in the contract that gives you a benefit over buying a piano off the floor without such a contract, it may not be valid. Generally a valid contract must have consideration from both parties, in other words you both get something of value as a result of the contract. There is nothing of value to you if all it says is that you must buy something from them.

I would recommend you contact your Consumer affairs office or an attorney as well. Next time do not sign anything unless you read it and are sure you really want to execute whatever the document says.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:45 PM

Yes. I bought it with CC. I am disputing it and I also want to go to the consumer affair. The sale paper does put a piano there. But I told the sales person that I was not sure if I wanted to buy this or the other lower price one. I would confirm the next day. They tried to convince me how good the piano is. And they also told me the other store was going bankrupcy and there won't be services if I bought from them, etc. And claim the piano is made of European material. But at night I checked the spec, the material is made in China. And they said Kawai K3 is made in Indonesia and assembly in Japan in order to make me not buying it from other store. But all these are wrong information. Should it be a reason for me to cancel my deal? My CC rep said my dispute should be valid based on my experience.

They did not put final sale on anywhere except on that paper and they did not tell us that when we signed it.

I do not have attorney yet. Not sure what kind of attorney will help with this kind.

Last edited by plainviewresident; 04-23-2010 at 07:55 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 08:10 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainviewresident View Post
I was shopping around for piano these days. I was trapped by a dealer. They provided me inconsistent information. And let me sign a purchase contract. Even at that time, I was not sure what I should buy and I told the sales person that I will confirm tomorrow. As my husband and I really appreciate the sales person's effort to help us. We thought it is no harm to sign it. But we did not see that "final sale" on the paper. At night, I found their speech is not insistent. I wanted my money back the next day. They do not give me refund. And insist I have to buy anything from their store. Please be cautious. Their paper has "final sale" on there. Even with it, I believe consumer has right. Any advice?
nothing sucks more than Piano shopping....just saying.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:38 PM

I think I should definitely get protected from NYS law.
http://www.nysconsumer.gov/pdf/refund_law_2009.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-23-2010, 09:00 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I moved this from Long Island to SHOPPING where I think you'll get some good advice.

It would seem that someone took advantage of you (are you not a native English speaker?). This is really very unfair .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-24-2010, 06:34 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
You have 3 business days to rescind the contract whether you went to the store or if they came to your home. If English is not your first language, they may be taking advantage of you. We have the UCC, Uniform Commercial Code, which guarantees the rights of a consumer to some extent. They may think that you have no knowledge of US laws. Let them know that you do. CC company should be able to take care of this situation for you. If not, most local tv stations have a help line, I think ours is Call For Action, and they contact the company directly and then put it on tv. Also, a call from an attorney should settle it, but you should not have to do that. More than likely, the cc company will get it settled for you quickly. Good luck.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
The OP seems to write in a much different style in previous posts; so I don't know that langauge is a real problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products