Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:25 PM

872 posts, read 1,267,671 times

Advertisements

I load them on the supermarket phone apps. Occasionally, I'll print one, but I don't go out of my way seeking them on a computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 10:11 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,082,681 times
I think you just look at the effort vs reward, and for me, coupons are just not worth it.

Also, I try to eat more fresh produce and whole foods, and staples purchased in bulk. I seriously avoid boxed/packaged/prepared products, as I cannot even pronounce most their chemical additives. So I'm not coupon-target-market.

Even for non-food products like 'toothpaste' - Colgate vs Aquafresh vs Aim vs Crest vs Toms of Maine? I don't really care, whichever has the lowest shelf price.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:48 PM

26 posts, read 56,494 times
If I have tried it out beforehand and it's okay with me, I will buy the generic brand on a regular basis. The quality is usually good enough for me, the price is good, and I don't have to worry about clipping coupons.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:53 AM

139 posts, read 171,041 times
I don't use coupons nearly as much as I used to ever since Meijer and Kroger stopped doubling.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:51 AM

50,596 posts, read 64,638,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL_in_DWG View Post
If I have tried it out beforehand and it's okay with me, I will buy the generic brand on a regular basis. The quality is usually good enough for me, the price is good, and I don't have to worry about clipping coupons.
I do this too. The only thing that is frequently wrong with generic versions of foods is the packaging isn't as good.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:48 AM

23,028 posts, read 6,492,434 times
I clip some of the coupons from the Sunday newspaper but I don't use every one I cut.
I check how much I will save to see if I want to buy/try the product.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:18 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,256,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
I worked with a tech this weekend who is one of those extreme coupon shoppers. She was telling people how to do it and it seemed interesting but most of the products are terrible health wise. High sugar cereal and other processed junk food. I would never buy, eat or serve anyone something like Hamburger Helper, so having a coupon or getting it free isn't going to make me grab it.

CVS sends email notices of coupons online that automatically go to my savings card. I use that often for paper towels or health and beauty products.
No kidding, I've watched that TLC show extreme couponers and most of the stuff they fill their carts with is so bad for you, things like cases of Diet Coke, Fruit Loops, HB helper.

To me it's not worth it, the few dollars you save now will be negated down the road if you become obese, or develop diabetes or high blood pressure due to the medical costs associated with those health problems.

Finding coupons for things like trash bags, dish soap, or toilet paper is fine though.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:31 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,838,270 times
Only if they're worth $1 or more. I use the Ken's Salad dressing coupons, that's about it.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:42 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,391,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I do this too. The only thing that is frequently wrong with generic versions of foods is the packaging isn't as good.
I've noticed the same thing too which discourages me to buy what's cheapest. There are some generic/store brand that I buy that's just as good as the pricey products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
No kidding, I've watched that TLC show extreme couponers and most of the stuff they fill their carts with is so bad for you, things like cases of Diet Coke, Fruit Loops, HB helper.

To me it's not worth it, the few dollars you save now will be negated down the road if you become obese, or develop diabetes or high blood pressure due to the medical costs associated with those health problems.

Finding coupons for things like trash bags, dish soap, or toilet paper is fine though.
Seeing that show I've have to wonder how much of the food gets used before it expires???

Old 08-14-2014, 12:18 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,640,626 times
I do use coupons..all the time. Some coupons can get you an item free! I always use them ($1.00 and up) for toothpaste, mouthwash and TP. Like another poster said they go ahead and get the item and use the coupon even
though they are not out of the item yet. My favorite deodorant (name brand) I've been getting for .50c w/coupon, I have 5 in reserve. That's a $2.50 savings. I use the in store coupons too. HEB right now has a special where you buy their brand detergent and get a huge bottle of fabric softener free with the coupon. There's a whole lot of savings out there if you have the time to look for them. When I was working I didn't, but now that I'm retired, it's kind of like a game/challenge with me to see how much I can save. I do not buy items just because there's a coupon. And I don't
buy the newspaper for coupons, coupons can be had for free online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products