Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 02:43 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,390,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
You don't need to subscribe to any paper or publication to get coupons. Most of them you can print yourself from online sources. And sometimes you can print more than one for the coupons you especially want.

When used (especially at stores that offer double), you can save up to 30% on your grocery bill. It can add up.

We use them especially for health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, non-food items because I figure I should never pay full price for that stuff if I can get a discount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I use smartphone apps to handle coupons.

I have all 4 shown in the linked article but I do much of my shopping at Kroger and the Kroger app makes the process a no-brainer.

I never in my life clipped and carried carried physical coupons because it was too big a hassle.

I use the coupon apps that has helped saved money. My favorite is coupons.com. Go to the retailer's website and they may have coupons available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 04:03 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,312,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
It was for us back (in the 80s) when food was cheaper (much cheaper) and the coupons took more off in proportion to what you get off now. But now with these discount stores (like Aldi and Market Basket) I don't know if I would still do it. And sometimes you can get the "no-name/store name" brands cheaper than the name brands with the coupon. And SOMETIMES the quality of the product isn't that much different. If I had to shop at a regular supermarket, especially one that doubles coupons I might go back to doing it. Or if I was a "label shopper".
We do still have a couple of our stores that double up to .50 but it is rare I can find a decent coupon for products we use. I think dairy products like ice cream and cottage cheese, plus yoguart are about the best and of course in the winter soup, but we almost always depend on home made soup. I have also noticed some of the coupons are for products that are not necessarily on the keep me healthy list.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:20 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,584,708 times
Meh I just shop at Walmart.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:07 PM

19,989 posts, read 30,428,810 times
its not just coupons in the paper, its online, you have to print them, and certain places will allow you to double them up

even cvs is one of the best coupon places to go

manufacturers websites has coupons,,local coupon gurus give great printable coupons

if I didn't see it firsthand,,,id be thinking coupons were a waste of time,,
but I have a basement full of food
and a bedroom full of shampoos, toilet paper, razors,
and also over 50 containers of washer/laundry detergent

all brand names many free others pennies on the dollar

Old 08-13-2014, 05:10 PM

50,590 posts, read 64,625,595 times
I watch the store flyers for sales on meat, and I make it a point to go to those stores. I do not bother with coupons. I have 3 grocery stores within 4 miles and between them I get what I need. I know what products I want, and how much they should cost. I think most coupons are for things I have no desire to buy. I'm not willing to chase a piece of paper around my house for a few weeks in order to save $.25 on something. Nor do I want to store a year's worth of anything. I'd rather rotate things more frequently. Who wants to use year old toothpaste?

My opinion of extreme couponers is that they have a form of illness, like gamblers or hoarders. Every so often, I am at my local Publix at the same time as an obese woman in a motorized cart, with her obese, 20 something, son. Her cart is full of multiple things like pop tarts, and other things that no sensible person would buy. It's sad, really.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:02 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,989,930 times
I tend to purchase real whole foods, and there aren't usually coupons or sales on those. For canned foods and pantry staples, unless I have a brand that I really strongly prefer, I just get the store brand at the grocery store or get case/bulk from Costco/Sam's or online since I rarely find coupons for those types of foods either. Sometimes you can some additional good deal on those items with a regular grocery store club cards or sales that are better than case/bulk at a discount club, you just have to keep an eye on the sales flyers. Store brand and case lots at regular prices are usually cheaper by the unit than whatever is offered with a coupon or BxG1 anyway.

Pretty much the only "food" I ever see coupons for are crappy junk food in quantities no one should ever eat them! Why on earth I would need 5 boxes of Hamburger Helper just to get the 6th box free, when I can make 6 similar meals from scratch for the cost of a single box?! Or 3 packages of Super Sugar Fantabulous Cookies when you can bake 12 dozen from scratch for less than one package even with the discount? I can see having 1 box or package of something pre-process/packaged in the pantry for a quick convenience, but I don't fill my pantry with them.

Occasionally you do get decent coupons for household/paper goods and health/beauty stuff, and I do stock up on those if the price per unit ends up less than a comparable store brand or discount club. But I still prefer stores that automatically apply electronic manufacturer and store coupons/discounts at checkout when you present your club card... who wants to clip, organize and carry paper coupons anymore or need a smartphone with apps and subscriptions?

Old 08-13-2014, 06:17 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,390,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My opinion of extreme couponers is that they have a form of illness, like gamblers or hoarders. Every so often, I am at my local Publix at the same time as an obese woman in a motorized cart, with her obese, 20 something, son. Her cart is full of multiple things like pop tarts, and other things that no sensible person would buy. It's sad, really.
agreed. Ive caught a glimpse of that series on TLC and it blew my mind how much people had stash in their homes. Theres always going to be a sale, coupons to clip and now ever popular coupon apps.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:42 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,396,856 times
I find them most useful for drugstore items. I haven't bought a tube of toothpaste without a coupon the entire time I've lived in Tucson and that's nine years. I usually save a dollar every time I purchase toothpaste. Considering how much toothpaste one uses in a year, the savings add up.

Other things I buy only when I have a coupon: deodorant, shampoo, hair color, make-up items like mascara and nail polish, dishwasher soap, laundry detergent, plastic storage and garbage bags, toilet paper, paper towels, coffee, Celestial Seasonings herb tea, and other things I use almost daily. I clip coupons of only things I KNOW I use regularly. A lot of coupons (esp. for food) are come-ons to purchase new products. I just scan for things I need all the time. So it only takes me about 10 minutes each Sunday. I immediately put the coupons in an envelope I keep in my handbag.

If I can get $1 off, I buy the item even if I don't need it right then and store it. I will need it eventually and the price will only have gone up. I take my coupons to the store with the best bargains and do a coupon-shop only once a month. My record is $17 worth of coupons used in one check-out. So even if you figure I'm saving $10 a month, that's a minimum of $120 a year. Only you know if your time is worth that.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:47 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,250,846 times
It's usually cheaper to simply buy a cheaper brand, or not buy the items advertised to begin with.

I normally don't use them because most coupons are for the most expensive name brand, highly processed, junk foods, and other items I don't normally buy anyways.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:13 PM

23,855 posts, read 24,416,287 times
No, they have so many restrictions these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products