Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 07:09 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times

Advertisements

Costco has a variety of temporary sales on emergency food. Rather than listing them all separately:

https://www.costco.com/emergency-kits-supplies.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
https://www.costco.com/mountain-hous...100797949.html

Right now Costco has the 6 pack of ground beef for sale at the same price it was in February. I looked at AZ and they wanted something ridiculous like over $100/can there.
6 pack of ground beef back in stock, but now $50 more.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch...mountain+house

Old 11-04-2022, 05:46 PM

Mountain House is temporarily offering their military rations for sale to the general public:

https://mountainhouse.com/collection...FCP5mj-.zgzJD6

"Now through 11/30*, save 20% on all MCWs purchased through our website.
Use code Salute20"

"These are authentic Meal, Cold Weather (MCW) rations we make for the United States Armed Forces. Formerly known as Long Range Patrol rations or LRP’s (often confused with the military MRE), rarely are these genuine military meals available in the civilian market. Vacuum-sealed in compact brick-pack style mil-spec packaging with a three year shelf life, these MCW’s are formulated for the nutritional needs of U.S. Special Forces operating in every adverse climate and condition on the planet. Supply is limited, so act fast!"

Old 11-22-2022, 05:31 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
https://www.lehmans.com/category/Freeze_Dried
This place if off the chain good, all products are locally sourced from Amish residents.
There's more on the site, organic canned turkey etc.
It's a preppers paradise, at least for me; hand-crank apple peelers and wood stoves
are pretty cool...but freeze dried cinnamon rolls are amazing!

Old 11-23-2022, 07:39 PM

32 posts, read 24,769 times
Wow... What a cool store!

Thank you Sunbiz1

Old 11-29-2022, 07:29 PM

30 + 3 day emergency food kit $90 until 12/23/2022 because $40 automatic rebate.

https://www.costco.com/augason-farms...000036908.html

Emergency food for less than $3/day is one of the cheapest I've seen. This is a lower end variety (hence the price). I say that because it has no meat and many of the dishes require cooking as opposed to something like Mountain House that is best hydrated and heated, but it is not required. (Think of freeze dried pancakes versus pancake mix, both will feed you but one requires more time and effort). But if you know somebody that is looking for affordable entry-level emergency food, this might be it.

Product Details

Augason Farms Deluxe 30-Day Emergency Food Supply with 72-Hour Be Ready “on-the-go” kit combines flavor and nutrition at an affordable, bundled price. The 30-day survival food is secured in a watertight, easily transportable 5-gallon pail that’s perfect for storing at home and office for unexpected emergencies. While the 72-Hour Be Ready “on-the-go” kit is perfect for your car or other spaces with limited storage.

Deluxe 30-Day Emergency Food Storage:

You’ll love hearty and flavor-packed meals such as Cheesy Broccoli Rice, Hearty Vegetable Chicken-Flavored Soup, Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal, Buttermilk Pancakes and more. You’ll have 11 varieties of mouthwatering and easy-to-prepare foods totaling 37,080 calories at an average of 1,236 calories per day. The survival food is secured in a watertight, easily transportable 5-gallon pail that’s perfect for storing at home and office for unexpected emergencies.

Includes:
3 Pouches Cheesy Broccoli Rice (8 servings each) – Shelf life up to 25 years
3 Pouches Creamy Chicken-Flavored Rice (8 servings each) – Shelf life up to 25 years
3 Pouches Creamy Potato Soup (8 servings each) – Shelf life up to 25 years
2 Pouches Hearty Vegetable Chicken-Flavored Soup (8 servings each) – Shelf life up to 25 years
1 Pouch Fettuccine Alfredo (4 servings each) – Shelf life up to 25 years
3 Pouches Spanish Rice (8 servings each) – Shelf life up to 25 years
1 Pouch Strawberry-Flavored Creamy Wheat (8 servings each) – Shelf life up to 25 years
3 Pouches Buttermilk Pancakes (6 servings each) – Shelf life up to 30 years
3 Pouches Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal (10 servings each) – Shelf life up to 25 years
1 Pouch Morning Moo’s® Low Fat Milk Alternative (20 servings each) – Shelf life up to 20 years
1 Pouch Banana Chips (8 servings each) – Shelf life up to 10 years
BONUS: 30-Day Meal Planner

SPECIFICATIONS:
Calories per Day: 1,236
Protein per Day: 30 grams
Total Calories: 37,080
Total Protein: 908 grams
Total Servings: 200
Total Quantity: 24 pouches
Total Varieties: 11
Water Needed to Hydrate Food: 9 gallons
Container Size: 5-gallon pail with handle
Dimensions: 12” x 15.5” x 10”
Net Weight: 20 lb. 7.55 oz. (9.29 kg)
Shelf Life: Up to 30 years*

Old 12-05-2022, 10:35 AM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
https://www.lehmans.com/category/Freeze_Dried
This place if off the chain good, all products are locally sourced from Amish residents.
There's more on the site, organic canned turkey etc.
It's a preppers paradise, at least for me; hand-crank apple peelers and wood stoves
are pretty cool...but freeze dried cinnamon rolls are amazing!
We've shopped at Lehmans for decades. Even went to their main store in Ohio when we lived in WV. We looked at the 'Amish' made Pioneer cookstove.

'Some' of their products are made by Amish, but not all. A lot of the stuff they sell now is made in China or where ever. We've noticed over the years their product quality has really dropped off a cliff. We bought a peanut butter stirrer/lid a few years ago- it broke on the first use. So buyer beware.

This is the page dedicated to Amish made products. https://www.lehmans.com/category/amish-made

Edit- looks like most of the freeze dried food is USA made..

Last edited by Threerun; 12-05-2022 at 11:13 AM..

Old 12-12-2022, 05:15 PM

Peak Refuel Brand: Chicken Coconut Curry...
Normally Mountain House is my goto brand as well, but my wife decided to try this when she saw it at REI.
We drove up into the mountains to play in the snow and cooked it with some coffee...
It was delicious! Will definitely get it again.

Found out my propane backpacking stove doesn't like sub 30 degree temps, it was freezing up as I boiled water, barely got it hot for the coffee. May be a topic for another post.

Old 12-15-2022, 08:31 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Peak Refuel Brand: Chicken Coconut Curry...
Normally Mountain House is my goto brand as well, but my wife decided to try this when she saw it at REI.
We drove up into the mountains to play in the snow and cooked it with some coffee...
It was delicious! Will definitely get it again.

Found out my propane backpacking stove doesn't like sub 30 degree temps, it was freezing up as I boiled water, barely got it hot for the coffee. May be a topic for another post.
Propane should be fine at almost zero. I use it all the time in extreme cold weather. Check your stove jets and related parts.

For serious cold or light weight I use isobutane.

Old 12-17-2022, 03:59 PM

I did some research. Yes, Propane like my 2 burner cookstove would have worked down to about zero degrees.
What I used was a portable backpacking "Canister Stove" that used Iso-butane good down to 31 degrees F.
Primus makes a special "Winter Gas" that has a screen mesh that is supposed to work down to 17 deg. F.

Best bet is the liquid fuel "white gas" bottles that you pump up the pressure, they are very reliable in extreme cold.
I will probably get one of those multi fuel versions that can use white gas, deisel, unleaded gas or kerosene.
To me that would be the best bet for a survival situation, you could find the fuel you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness