Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 12:10 AM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times

Advertisements

Why on earth would anyone buy from sites like that when you can get this stuff pretty regularly locally? A grocery store in East Helena, of all places, has tubs of freeze dried goods on the shelves. Costco has it, Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas, Scheels and every other place I run into has this stuff.

These prepper internet sites are typically designed to take advantage of fear as a buying tool. Don't get sucked to it. Waaay better ways to 'prepare' to feed yourselves than that on-line garbage.

Last edited by Threerun; 08-14-2022 at 12:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2022, 07:16 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Why on earth would anyone buy from sites like that when you can get this stuff pretty regularly locally? A grocery store in East Helena, of all places, has tubs of freeze dried goods on the shelves. Costco has it, Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas, Scheels and every other place I run into has this stuff.

These prepper internet sites are typically designed to take advantage of fear as a buying tool. Don't get sucked to it. Waaay better ways to 'prepare' to feed yourselves than that on-line garbage.
I just wanted to try some different recipes. I have enough freeze dried food I don't need to buy any more from the places you mentioned. Take https://freezedrywholesalers.com/ for example. A little bit off the beaten path but they have things nobody else does. I highly recommend adding some raw freeze dried meats to one's supply. It's not emergency food (because it has to be cooked) but having some meat to grill with all the savory smells that entails is a nice treat to have, and a lot less chewy than goat or feral pig.

Old 08-16-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I just wanted to try some different recipes. I have enough freeze dried food I don't need to buy any more from the places you mentioned. Take https://freezedrywholesalers.com/ for example. A little bit off the beaten path but they have things nobody else does. I highly recommend adding some raw freeze dried meats to one's supply. It's not emergency food (because it has to be cooked) but having some meat to grill with all the savory smells that entails is a nice treat to have, and a lot less chewy than goat or feral pig.
You're not cooking your goat or pig right!

Old 08-16-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Just FYI, I placed an order here to sample their quality and never received product, or heard from them in any other way. I wound up getting a refund through the payment processor. Do not recommend.
Just to follow-up, I received my order today. Looks like high quality packaging, but unfortunately there is no way to know what's inside until its time to eat. I sent them their money back, and then I went to their web site and noticed that they have decided to close up shop. I hate to see another small business fail.

Old 08-19-2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Just FYI, I placed an order here to sample their quality and never received product, or heard from them in any other way. I wound up getting a refund through the payment processor. Do not recommend.
Make your own food.

Old 08-20-2022, 09:58 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
... They are a supplier for the US Navy and use technology they developed and tested to make things like McDonalds and Pizza delivery available for submarines.
Wow!

I had never heard of that before. Though I am not surprised.

The Submarine fleet has a huge budget for food.

I bought a Harvest Right freeze-dryer for my wife. It was kind of fun playing with it. But we learned that it is not a technology compatible with living off-grid on solar power.

Its control panel gives very limited functionality.

When you start it, it wants to run through a set program for so long. The program can be stopped or interrupted, but when you turn it back on, it must start at the beginning again. It will not allow the operator to start somewhere in the middle of the process.

The vacuum pump also trashes its oil. So the oil must be filtered after every use. I found a cheap source of the special oil, and we now have a lot of that oil on hand. Eventually they shifted to an oil-less vacuum pump. But we have not upgraded to that model, yet.

Our primary problem with it is the full program takes around 48 hours, from start to finish. With our solar system, we can run every appliance in our home and every power tool, during sunlight. But once the sunlight goes away, then we are reduced to living on battery, and we must conserve power consumption.

We have multiple freezers, we could easily pre-freeze our harvest, and only use the freeze-dryer for it's drying. But its program will not allow that.

What we need is a home Freeze-Dryer that uses a row of toggle switches, one switch for each function.

On the other hand, my Dw LOVES her Harvest Right Freeze-Dryer. She has made all sorts of freeze-Dried stuff.

It is a great way to long-term preserve farm fresh foods.

Old 08-20-2022, 10:08 AM

455 posts, read 306,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Wow!

I had never heard of that before. Though I am not surprised.

The Submarine fleet has a huge budget for food.

I bought a Harvest Right freeze-dryer for my wife. It was kind of fun playing with it. But we learned that it is not a technology compatible with living off-grid on solar power.

Its control panel gives very limited functionality.

When you start it, it wants to run through a set program for so long. The program can be stopped or interrupted, but when you turn it back on, it must start at the beginning again. It will not allow the operator to start somewhere in the middle of the process.

The vacuum pump also trashes its oil. So the oil must be filtered after every use. I found a cheap source of the special oil, and we now have a lot of that oil on hand. Eventually they shifted to an oil-less vacuum pump. But we have not upgraded to that model, yet.

Our primary problem with it is the full program takes around 48 hours, from start to finish. With our solar system, we can run every appliance in our home and every power tool, during sunlight. But once the sunlight goes away, then we are reduced to living on battery, and we must conserve power consumption.

We have multiple freezers, we could easily pre-freeze our harvest, and only use the freeze-dryer for it's drying. But its program will not allow that.

What we need is a home Freeze-Dryer that uses a row of toggle switches, one switch for each function.

On the other hand, my Dw LOVES her Harvest Right Freeze-Dryer. She has made all sorts of freeze-Dried stuff.

It is a great way to long-term preserve farm fresh foods.
Sounds like something I might have to look into.
I dehydrate a lot of stuff like onions and peppers, then seal them in a vacuum bag, and that works pretty well, but doesn't work worth a damn on things like spuds.

Old 08-20-2022, 10:49 AM

I looked into a harvest right freeze dryer and concluded that it wasn't for us. It has a high up-front cost, a short warranty, requires significant maintenance, and from reading honest user reviews (which are tough to find because the company sends cease and desist warnings to people who post them) they break down frequently. They are also very expensive to operate (it's recommended to have it on a dedicated 20 amp circuit) and we live somewhere electricity is very expensive. Assuming that we had a "typical" unit I couldn't even calculate a break-even timeline for owning one, it was simply more practical to buy food that was already freeze dried.

We also live in a part of the world with 5 growing seasons per year so preserving food isn't a seasonal activity, it's easier to just grow it year round and eat it fresh.

If I lived close to the manufacturer where high shipping cost for repairs and electricity rates weren't such a factor, I would definitely consider one.

Old 08-20-2022, 05:02 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post
Sounds like something I might have to look into.
I dehydrate a lot of stuff like onions and peppers, then seal them in a vacuum bag, and that works pretty well, but doesn't work worth a damn on things like spuds.
Onions, peppers, potatoes, all freeze-dry well.

Meats, etc, we even freeze-dried milk to make powdered milk.

Old 09-03-2022, 12:06 PM

https://freezedrywholesalers.com/

"The highest annual inflation rate we have seen in this country in more than 40 years occurred in June of this year! We saw inflation hit 9.1% according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Data isn't in yet for August, but July clocked in at 8.5% - not much better... And anyone that has purchased food this year knows that some items are up double that!

So how about we turn the clock back for this Labor Day Weekend - and take the highest inflation rate in almost half a century off of your next order. Heck, let's DOUBLE it!
9% off plus another 9% off for good measure = 18% OFF

No product restrictions, and no limit to the amount of savings on this one!
Place an order between now and Tuesday night September 6th, 2022, enter the Promo Code NO2INFLATION at checkout and the savings will be applied automatically!"

I'm not affiliated with them in any way. I have bought from them in the past and their product is high quality. It tends to be expensive so the 18% off sale should help. I always got free shipping too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness