Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:51 AM

34,618 posts, read 21,767,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The discussion of the 'expert's in the OP claimed between 50% and 90% loss within one year.
Sorry, I didn't listen to the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 11:08 AM

37,725 posts, read 61,899,807 times
I see the topic discussed sometimes on forums. I generally assume it is alarmists / tin-foil hatters.

To hear a panel like that [legislator, Phds, Meteorologists, and power company engineers] discussing it, kind of makes it more real.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:20 PM

There was a report that came out about the consequences of such a blackout, but since it came our around 9/11, it go no real press. I'll see if I can locate it.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:25 PM

This isn't the report I was looking for, but it is still of interest:

http://democrats.energycommerce.hous...-2013-5-21.pdf

I'll look more for the other one.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:39 PM

I wasn't familiar with this report, but it will definitely get a read real soon. I did a bit of scanning of it, and it certainly appears to back up the claim that a solar storm could cause damage to enough of our transformers to bring down most of our grid. Then 4-18 talks about the time to get replacements built - 15 months, not counting shipping, connecting, etc.

http://web.ornl.gov/sci/ees/etsd/pes...Meta-R-319.pdf

Still searching for the other.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:41 PM

Found it.

It came out on 9/11/2001, which is one reason why nobody probably paid attention.

http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2...ission-7MB.pdf

Old 01-29-2014, 04:50 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,302,226 times
Quote:
For highlights:
a- in the past decade our grid customer base has grown 25%, while spending on infrastructure maintenance has dropped 30%.
Okay.

Quote:
b- we had a solar event in 1989 that destroyed a component of the national grid.
That is a bit of an exaggeration.

Quote:
c- in the 1800s we had two solar events that were both capable of 100% destroying our current national grid.
I'm not aware of that.

I am aware of the Carrington Event. It is true that a Carrington Event now would destroy 100% of your Electric Grid, and a large percentage of electronic components of a personal nature, as well as those used in business and industry, including vehicles.

Quote:
d- utility companies today are strong lobbies and have not allowed congress to mandate equipment updates in the face of known dangers.
I lack sufficient information to comment on that.

I'm not convinced Congress has the power or authority under the Constitution to regulate utilities such as water or electricity or telephone.

The several States would certainly have that power.

Quote:
e- In the event of a large solar flare, our entire national grid could be fried.
That is not entirely accurate and smells like the cries of alarmists.

Solar Flares come in five different flavors.

A, B, C & M Class Solar Flares are of no consequence, although C & M Class Solar Flares have the potential to disrupt communications in certain band-widths by ionizing regions of the Stratosphere and Mesosphere.

The only Class that affects you is the X-Class.

Not just any X-Class Solar Flare, but X-Class Solar Flares greater than Magnitude 15.

1989 was an X-Class Magnitude 23.

Why no problem?

Because it wasn't accompanied by a proton storm with the protons having an average energy of 30 MeV or greater (Million electron Volts).

That, is the key to understanding all of this.

Quote:
In such an event, estimates range from 75% to 90% of our population will not survive.
Quote:
The discussion of the 'expert's in the OP claimed between 50% and 90% loss within one year.
And that is because they read my posts here on C-D years ago.

You're only 4 years late with the warnings, but hey, I guess late is better than never.

Quote:
f- North Korea has already tested a missile to see that it could reach the USA without detection, to deliver to the USA a nuclear EMP device. That missile was successful. And NK has repeatedly threaten to launch a nuclear device at the USA.
That is complete utter BS tin-foil-hat-prepper-stupidity-and-nonsense. You see this...."a nuclear EMP device"...that's fear-mongering sensationalism.

All nuclear devices by their very nature generate an electromagnetic pulse. The strength, intensity and duration of the electromagnetic pulse is a function of the warhead's size in terms of yield in kilotons. The scope of the area impacted, is a function of height of burst.

North Korea is no threat to the US.

What's the largest nuclear warhead North Korean can build? In theory, ~200 kilotons. To go bigger than 200 kt requires the use of fusion, and North Korea has neither the education, the training, the skill, the experience, the know-how or the resources to build a fission-fusion device.

The practical limit for a plutonium-based device is 140 kt. The French had a warhead like that. On a missile? Nope, that can only be delivered by aircraft (I think the French used the Etenard).

Clinton gave North Korea two plutonium-producing nuclear reactors. Based on their operational time, the maximum amount of plutonium would be about 60 kg -62 kg.

Recoverable plutonium, well, that would depend on the separation method used, and how efficient the North Koreans were in operating it, meaning probably not very efficient, so say 55 kg, and then they had at least two test shots of 1 kt each, so that would be an additional 4.5 kg to 5.0 kg of plutonium, leaving them with about 45 kg.

The evidence I see shows North Korea to have 8-10 1 kt devices, or perhaps 5-6 1 kt devices and one 10 kt to 20 kt device.

That's nothing to worry about.

Quote:
These were not tin-foil hatters. These were industry reps, Phds, and a state legislator who has been talking with many other industry engineers.
Okay, but they could have gotten their point across without fear-mongering.

Quote:
I found it interesting that they all admit these events are expected to happen 2 to 3 times per century.
Uh, I am not seeing that at all, and I see no evidence to support it.

Let's say the Carrington Event is the standard by which we judge all others. What can we say? Every single time the Sun exits a Solar Minimum, you have a Carrington Event.

Sun exits the Dalton Minimum, and you have the Carrington Event. Sun exits the Spoerer Mimimun, the Maunder Minimum and all the others, you have a Carrington-like Event within 5-20 years.

They didn't have technology centuries ago, but they did have astronomers and astrologers and scientists who wrote extensively about extremely peculiar Northern Lights that could be seen from places on Earth -- like south of the Equator -- where they should not be able to be seen, or which had very bright intensity lasting for month after month after month.

Some scientists claim we have been in a Solar Minimum for about 15 years now. Others, for example 2 German scientists are saying that we are entering a Minimum. If so, then when the Sun exists, you will have a Carrington Event, guaranteed.

Quote:
No state is prepared for these routine events.
But they are not routine. They are very rare.

Quote:
When it happens, our nation only has enough linemen to repair one state at a time.
Not if they're dead.

Quote:
Repair parts are not manufactured in the USA, and there is no stock-pile of parts in the USA.
I have discussed that on several different threads.

You know those transformers that sit on telephone poles? It takes about 6-8 months to make one of those.

A Carrington Event would destroy everyone one of those transformers in the US and Canada, and part of northern Mexico. And don't forget that North Central Europe was affected (not sure about Eastern Europe).

Quote:
In the panel discussion, there seems to be agreement that this will happen at some point, and that the power industry is united in fighting any effort to be prepared for it.
Notwithstanding the fact that I don't know if the power industry is fighting it or not, I still see that as a grotesque characterization.

As I mentioned on several other threads, in 2010 the estimated cost to upgrade the Electrical Grid in the US was $3 TRILLION to $3.5 TRILLION.

You don't have that money.

Are you ready for the bad news?

"Upgrade" means removing all of the analog components still in use from the 1920s-1980s and replacing those components with chip-based computerized components.

You want to protect those components from EMP?

Okay, fine.....add another $2 TRILLION to $2.5 TRILLION to the price tag.

You think the "power industry" should operate at $0 Profit and fix this? Okay, assuming you don't all get wiped out by a Carrington Event, you might actually get your entire Electrical Grid upgraded by the year 2400.

Electromagnetically...

Mircea

Old 01-30-2014, 03:34 PM

37,725 posts, read 61,899,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Okay.

That is a bit of an exaggeration.
All members of the panel agreed on their list of past events.

Could you explain which panel members were in error?

Old 01-30-2014, 04:45 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,302,226 times
Quote:
All members of the panel agreed on their list of past events.

Could you explain which panel members were in error?
Quebec is part of the United States?

That was not an EMP Event, rather it was just massive ionization.

It was an X15....but the only reason you escaped was the proton storm had only 0.02% of the protons with energies greater than 30 MeV.

Just like a nuclear warhead, where the visible light has UV radiation and that is what ionizes the atmosphere --- then soft/hard x-rays, soft/hard gammas, neutrons, protons and fission fragments fly cleanly to the ground and set up the field.

In a solar flare, you just have the x-rays and protons....no neutrons, gammas or fission fragments (yes they are actually present but in such small numbers as to have a negligible effect).

Explaining....

Mircea

Old 02-04-2014, 12:59 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,955,345 times
- I'm aware of my ignorance with this question...

But, s-o could one buy solar panels to put away for after such an event?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness