Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 11:09 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times

Advertisements

Can you please recommend a top quality, water resistent LED Lantern. A tough one that wont crack so easy if dropped when camping/hiking.

Can I please have a model/make?

I seen many on Amazon. I'm just not sure whats the best buy. Or is there a better place to shop other than Amazon.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 11:48 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
I am not that familiar with lanterns, but these guys over at CPF do. You can't go wrong by their recommendations.

Lanterns

Old 11-06-2012, 06:58 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Can you please recommend a top quality, water resistent LED Lantern. A tough one that wont crack so easy if dropped when camping/hiking.

I seen many on Amazon. I'm just not sure whats the best buy. Or is there a better place to shop other than Amazon.

Thank you!
You might be the CD expert.... You also might make what every you decide on more water resistant.

What else is your criteria? Must it be light to back pack, or is heavy ok? How many hours should the led get? What power sources besides the sun should it have? That is if the sun counted in the first place.

Will it work in cold well enough?

I have no idea and don't own anything like that yet.

But i would want it very light, very rugged very small and able to work at 100 below 0, and with no batteries what so ever and for about 3 weeks straight....

Probably a pipe dream.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:47 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times
Where did there come from? Are you a clown or was that a serious post with you trying to be helpful? Apparently you dont know anything when it comes to what I seek on a LED Lantern. Or you kidding around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
You might be the CD expert.... You also might make what every you decide on more water resistant.

What else is your criteria? Must it be light to back pack, or is heavy ok? How many hours should the led get? What power sources besides the sun should it have? That is if the sun counted in the first place.

But i would want it very light, very rugged very small and able to work at 100 below 0, and with no batteries what so ever and for about 3 weeks straight....

Probably a pipe dream.

Last edited by Positiveone; 11-07-2012 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: i wanted to

Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 PM

592 posts, read 2,244,145 times
Not sure if any of these would work for you. We have several and love them.

Solar Powered Lights - Nokero's High-Quality LED Solar Outdoor Lights

Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
I have 2 to suggest: the Coleman twin-LED "High Performance" model (with Cree LEDs), that is the size of the usual Coleman lantern (of any variety) and takes 8 D batteries. Cost is $70-80 on Amazon. The second is the Rayovac SE DLN Sportsman Xtreme at 300 lumens, which is much smaller, lighter unit for about $25 at Amazon.

I think what Mac may have meant about making it "more water resistant" was just that these types of lanterns are made for camping, and probably are somewhat water-resistant, but not meant to be used under water or during a prolonged downpour...just place a plastic zip-lock over the top and you have the same light, just a LOT more water-resistant.

Anyway, I own several of both models I listed above, and have no complaints with either. You could do a lot worse than chosing one or more of those.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

Probably a pipe dream.
LOL. Me too. Let me know when one like that comes out.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post

Thank you!
I bet Marine stores might have close to what you are looking for. This one at West Marine looks good for $30! It is not only water resistant, it floats! WEST MARINE LED Solar Hybrid Lantern at West Marine

Old 11-22-2012, 02:14 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Here's the one I like best: Dorcy 41-4750 180 Lumen High Flux LED Cyber Light

Not cheap, but outstandingly bright and versatile.

They're at amazon: Dorcy 41-4750 180 Lumen High Flux LED Cyber Light Flashlight with Batteries - Amazon.com

You'll like it.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:07 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Oh I was dead serious..... So far with my very limited experience there is no such thing as a good LED lantern. IMO they are all cheap chinese junk...

I know a lot of about camping, modern and very primitive even dead winter about 5,000 ft in the White Mountains of NH, and so far there isn't one lantern I would want in my pack that runs on batteries.

I also won't pack anything that runs on propane. The cans are too big in summer and are use less in winter.

If there is such a thing that is rugged and worthy I don't know if it.

I carry old fashion head lamps that run 6 D Cell batteries which i avoid using, and telescoping candle lanterns, which i also avoid using.

I do own a few led lamps which i consider to be junk while they do shed some light.

Some of the flash lights are getting serious if you will spend about 100 bucks for one.

I suppose what you consider a serious light and what I would could be 2 very different things.

I like things that tip the scale in parts of ounces, and will run in -40 below and colder, and so strong you can run over it with a tank.

Not much digital will come close to that and or anything in LEDs...

This is why I still back pack a Minolta 101 body and lenses in winter. This is a ll manual 35 mm camera, that can function if the one light meter battery is dead.

Once this camera gets cold down to what ever it is like around -40 and colder it stays out in the cold.... I avoid any heat for it what so ever, because heat just makes condensation inside and the next time it gets cold the film freezes solid in the camera. And if it doesn't the water makes marks on the film.

So far as I know there is no digital camera that will function in my winter world..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness