Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 11:52 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,525,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yes, there are many other anti-freedom states. And, yes, there are many others to pick on. But California ranks 48 for social and economic freedom in the US, with only two other states being worse: New York and New Jersey.

Freedom in the States

BTW, kudos to South Dakota for being second on the list of freest states. My plans put me one state north (unless I decide to just move out into the middle of the desert here in Utah), which is #10 on the list. Go North Dakota! -- in the heart of Dixie. 'Specially in winter...
On crime rates: NH (usually lowest overall), ND (lowest violent crime and typically volleys with NH for lowest overall... varies by year), and SD (typically third) are ranked as consistently ranked the lowest crime states in the country. Another bonus for them.

Maine and Vermont are right up there as well, doing especially well lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 04:22 PM

373 posts, read 635,908 times
Default The list is in general correct

The list is in general correct, but need looking at on and individual basis.

Such as what someone's intended purpose is. Colorado is #7. A pal bought a place in CO without doing due diligence. Found he can't stay on the land, had to build and expensive stick built house, and must have a septic tank, where a perc test is not going to work. Alot of economic royalists have made CO a great state for more affluent people. Lots of HOAs there too. The economy has fallen apart in that area and the HOA no longer meets. Still the place is watched by code enforcement even though they are slacking off more.

There likely anomolies to be found such as upstate appaplacia NY versus urban New York.

Arkansas is #28 yet may have some of the highest freedom senitments in the nation in NW area.

Some state have strong homestead protections.

FL is #11 and has excellent homestead protection, but is really two areas, the Redneck Riviera and some areas where no speak Spanish not job.There are also sites out of FL on punitive code enforcement such as patching a roof is and offense a women lost the house over some rather trivial things, but she could have stiffed creditors and skated.

One of things I look out for is few yuppies streaming into and area. Prices go up and demands by rather vocal people for controls on others go up.

Look carefully to individual needs and values.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:18 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,520,782 times
Quote:
But then, that would apply to most all the states, right?
Actually, it doesn't. The reservations in North and South Dakota mostly house nations formerly considered to be "warlike", foremost among them being the various nations lumped together as "The Sioux." They have been, and continue to be, the targets of a particularly vicious strain of bigotry and violence. This is often also true around Apache, Comanche and Kiowa reservations.

Other NDN peoples, in other states, are not nearly so concerned with this.

Quote:
It's an embarrassment. You should see the conditions on the reservations around here.
I have, my friend; I have.

Quote:
They are typically out in the worst, driest, most inhospitable parts of the deserts. Talking about getting the shaft.
One of the things I find both interesting and slightly humorous is the uncanny ability of the Great White Father (GWF) to create reservations way-the-heck-out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere, then promise ownership of this land to American Indians "for as long as the wind blows and grass grows." Only some years later does the GWF realize that the reservation he created and gave to the Indians is smack-dab on top of extremely valuable natural resources (Oklahoma oil and Black Hills gold, as examples). THEN watch how quickly the GWF begins to speak with forked tongue. Historians will tell you that Custer's Last Stand was a natural consequence of the GWF's unilateral abrogation of the Fort Laramie Treaty of 1868.

As an alternate plan, the GWF brings in a government agency to "manage" the resources and resultant profits for the poor ignorant savages. You wanna get REALLY mad? Just research how many $ billions -- yes, $ BILLIONS -- of Indian oil royalties the oil companies were required to pay into government-managed accounts, and which the government now cannot account for or even find.

But I digress. Back to our original topic.

-- Nighteyes (Choctaw)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness