Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 08:22 PM

321 posts, read 1,137,283 times

Advertisements

Just a quick question: how is the University District for living in with a small child (toddler)? Are there parks in that area? Other young families? Or is it pretty much just students and medical professionals? Thanks!

p.s. I'm talking about the area north of 45th and S of Ravenna; west of 25th and east of the 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 08:49 PM

474 posts, read 1,457,276 times
It really varies by street - generally, the closer you are to Ravenna the more family-friendly. Cowen and Ravenna parks are both great for families.

In general though, it is absolutely a dense 'university district' in the most literal sense of the term.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:03 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,378,103 times
I agree, the closer to Ravenna, the better. From 45th to about 60th are almost strictly UW housing and all that entails (garbage strewn about, loud, noisy parties, bums, and cars). Traffic during football season will be atrocious too, so the further away the better.

Yeah, in general, the further away from the UW campus, the better, insofar as living in the U District is concerned. I used to live there and simply couldn't stand it any longer and didn't want my new wife to be stalked on her way home from the bus stop by shifty bums.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:10 PM

321 posts, read 1,137,283 times
Okay, thanks. I figured as much ... I am okay with city life and not worried about or afraid of bums, but it's just not what I want at this point in my life with a small child. I definitely don't want the noise and car traffic.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:11 PM

325 posts, read 788,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I agree, the closer to Ravenna, the better. From 45th to about 60th are almost strictly UW housing and all that entails (garbage strewn about, loud, noisy parties, bums, and cars). Traffic during football season will be atrocious too, so the further away the better.

Yeah, in general, the further away from the UW campus, the better, insofar as living in the U District is concerned. I used to live there and simply couldn't stand it any longer and didn't want my new wife to be stalked on her way home from the bus stop by shifty bums.
In my opinion, it's more 45th to 50th that fit that description. Once you get above 50th, it's a lot better (quieter). At least east of 15th it is.

Personally I wouldn't worry much about football traffic as that entrails approximately 6-7 days out of 365, all on Saturdays (well, one Thursday this coming year, but you get the point).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofia76 View Post
Okay, thanks. I figured as much ... I am okay with city life and not worried about or afraid of bums, but it's just not what I want at this point in my life with a small child. I definitely don't want the noise and car traffic.
The bum aspect is also a lot better once you get north of 50th. Noise and car traffic is pretty much nil around where I described in my first paragraph above.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:47 PM

457 posts, read 1,346,894 times
I would steer clear of anything south of 52nd or 55th.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskray917 View Post
I would steer clear of anything south of 52nd or 55th.
I respectfully disagree. I live below 52nd and it is really quiet and relaxed here (on 17th).

Old 05-13-2010, 12:30 AM

457 posts, read 1,346,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post
I respectfully disagree. I live below 52nd and it is really quiet and relaxed here (on 17th).
funny you say 17th because its intersection with 47th was the location of a rather particularly noisy affair with the greeks a month or so ago around midnight. i'd just prefer to give the greeks as much of a buffer zone as possible.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskray917 View Post
funny you say 17th because its intersection with 47th was the location of a rather particularly noisy affair with the greeks a month or so ago around midnight. i'd just prefer to give the greeks as much of a buffer zone as possible.
lol - true.

However, towards the north end of the 50th-52nd block is actually really quiet. I would say anything mid-way through that block and to the north is fine, noise-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area